CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it happened to me this last weekend, I had my first motorcycle accident. I was out for a very early ride this last Sunday and I was turning into a small shopping center to get some breakfast at about 5:30 am. AS I was just making my turn and pulling in I saw a car heading towards me to exit the shopping center and get on the main road I was pulling off of. I was thinking if I needed to turn before he got to me or after. As I looked up at the car I see the driver looking straight at his cell phone and now vering right to where I am at. My only move was to turn sharply to the right and lay the bike down.

I hit pretty hard, my head (luckily protected by my helmet) hit the pavement as my bike spun beneath me and came to a stop. It took me a second to catch my breath and realize what had just happened. I locked up and the guy in the car was gone down the road. I don't think he ever even saw me. I could not make out his plate and he was gone just like that. So there I was at 5:30 am Sunday morning on the ground, by bike on it's side and no a single person in site. I got to my feet and noticed I was in some pain but I had to take care of my bike. I got it up and then I saw the damage. The right engine guard crash bar cover broke and I am not sure where to find a replacement. I can find the guard itself but not the cover so far. I had some good scraped on my right saddle bad and right mirror housing. The damage is not terrible but it certainly is not good.

As for the damage I sustained, I had one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel, it was real touch and go there for a bit! haha Well I had a scraped up knee that bleed a lot more than it should have, a dinged up elbow and some good busising in various locations. I was not hurt bad, just felt some pain for a few days.

I need to get my bike fixed p and get back out there.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Ooof. Nightmare scenario. Idiot piloting a two ton death machine, not even looking out the window.:eek:

Glad you OK. Coulda been much worse, as you know. This is the exact reason I installed a motocam, to capture the images of miscreants, hunt them down, and sue them. $150 device much cheaper than the price of shiny red plastic, helmet, or a trip to the ER.

Keep riding safely. :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
500 Posts
I have found in my 43 years of riding that the best defense is... to assume no one sees you and everyone will pull in front of you. In other words, anticipate how cagers will hit you while riding. In your scenario, you would have slowed down or honked your horn when you first saw him. No saying its your fault, but riding on bikes requires us to be proactive and not react to vehicles. The aforementioned is a simplification.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for the right engine guard crash bar cover to replace the broken one? Not sure what to do about the paint work it needs.

Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
I like going to Honda Parts Nation for any parts I need on Honda bikes. There's equivalent sources for the CTX and many other makes/models of bikes.
2014 Honda CTX1300A AC OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation
All the USA colors are listed for plastic panels here.

The part you need for the right engine guard is the Louver, R. Shroud which is item 12 on this page: 2014 Honda CTX1300A AC MIDDLE COWL | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation
Items 9, 10, and 12 along with their respective associated smaller bits come off the bike as one unit. But after that is off the bike the individual sections can be separated. You should be able to reuse the original screws and other bits taken off the broken piece. As I've found with plastic on many bikes, not just this one, the plastic panels are rather pricey. That web site shows the OEM Honda part number so perhaps you can use that to do a search on eBay or just in your web browser ("Honda 64430-MJN-A00").

The Middle Cowl is also on this same diagram/parts list.

The right saddlebag parts are on one of the pages from my first link also. The diagram only shows the left saddlebag but both sides are shown in the parts list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine guard PN 64430-MJN-A00 ordered, thank you bob.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad you are (more or less) okay. These things happen in the blink of an eye. I hope you are able to repair the cosmetic damage. Your local motorcycle shops might be able to recommend someone in your area who specializes in motorcycle painting.
Best regards,
Bruce

·
Registered
CTX 1300D
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spill. Good luck finding parts, they are hard to come by. My mental method when riding is to "hope for the best" and "expect the worst" from drivers. For some reason, they think we can stop on a dime and move out of the lane when they want it. But if you expect bad behavior, you can be ready for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts