CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need to put the tall windshield and don't find the way to remove the mirror cover. Do I need to push it from back to front or front to back, I read Bob's post but don't understand what is pop off and I'm afraid to broke something. Thanks in advance: Juan :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
Hi Juan,

The mirror covers just pop out. Stand on the side of the bike, grab the cover with both hands, and move it a little from side to side while pulling straight out. There's nothing that can break as long as you pull straight. If the right side is really tight, you may want to have someone brace the bike while you pull. The left side is braced enough by the side stand.

The more difficult part is when you replace them, actually lining up the pins so that you don't bend the clips when you push the covers back on.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
I find they are the same as with my ST. Standing on the side of the mirror cover I want to remove I hold the front of the cover, over the turn signal lens, with one hand and "bop" or slap the very end of the cover (not the mirror itself) with the heal of my other hand to pop it off toward the front. I just give it a quick slap with my hand, but NOT hard, softly at first, about the same force as pulling the cap off a spray can. Sometimes it might take a few tries to give it the right force without giving it too much. Start easy and if that's not enough slap it a little bit harder. As I posted before the only part to watch for is that tab where the rear cover latches into the front cover. The first time I did this that tab just slipped out on it's own and was fine, so I did the other side the same. Others have other ways to do this. It also works well to do as Ed says above and that actually sounds easier on the cover. I've just done my ST this way without issue.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the same problem. Stand in front of the bike. I initially thought they they "popped" of by pulling forward. Not right. They come off when you pull them out to left for one and to the right for the other. Hope this helps. There are little prongs that fit inside some funky clips. When you put it back together make sure that the metal parts are all neatly pushed out around the inside of the clip. If not, the mirror cover will not seat right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much to all.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
An old thread, but for what it's worth, because I just had to remove the mirror cover, and just in case it might help someone else, I thought I'd add some remarks here. With pictures.
:worthless:

Pardon the salt spray on the CTX1300 deluxe in these pictures. Figure numbers are in the upper right corners of the pictures. My reason for removing the mirror shroud/cover was to replace the turn signal. Rock of some sort, I suppose. Didn't stop at the time. Note that the impact did not dislodge the mirror shroud/cover.

See figure #1 . $72 -- Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

See figure #2 . Pull the shroud/cover straight away from the body following the trajectory of the pink arrow. The green circles point out the three "retention pins" that you will be pulling loose from the body. It takes a bit of oooommmmph, but you are unlikely to damage anything if you pull straight out. The shroud-turn-signal assembly will hang at the side of the body held by a screw through the retaining strap. If you have to remove the shroud/cover, you have to remove this screw in the blue circle. The blue arrow points to the cable tie (cum wire-strap/ligature) that holds the turn signal wire/cable lead. It is the tail of the cable tie that functions as the retaining strap for the shroud/cover. You will not want to damage this cable tie or its ability to provide its two functions. The yellow arrow points to the turn signal cable connector which has a retainer clip molded into the connector body. The purple circles show the sockets that hold the shroud retention pins when all is completely assembled.

See figure #3 . A different view of some of the same stuff. The yellow circles show the pin sockets. The green circles show the mushroom shape of the retention pins.

See figure #4 . Green circles show the three screws that must be removed to replace the turn signal assembly.

See figure #5 . A thumb push is enough to release the turn signal wire connector clip. After the screw has been removed from the retaining strap, you can loosen the cable tie by slipping a thin screwdriver in the head of the cable tie and then pull the tail of the tie back through the head until you have enough slack to slide the turn signal connector through.

See figure #6 . Just another map. A closer view of the retaining strap (green arrow), the cable tie ligature (blue arrow), the mushroom shape of the shroud retention pin, and the four metal claws in the retention pin socket. A thumb and finger squeeze of the metal claws will cause them to grip the head of the pin a bit better.

See figure #7 . Get the shroud/cover aligned before giving it a pop to seat the retention pins.

See figure #8 . Remember to push the top tab of the black shroud insert back into the slot in the mirror shroud/cover.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts