CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting the most out of my gadgets for longer touring rides. I have some friends that I have knows since High School and once a year we head out for a multi-day motorcycle tour. We are planning one in September, and I want to be assemble my gadgets before then. I'll start with a list of what I have, and then I will enumerate what I am trying to accomplish. What I am looking for is some advice to fill in the gaps.

What I have:
  • CTX 1300A
  • Sena SMH10
  • Motorola Droid Mini
  • Garmin Nuvi 50

I would like a GPS that support pre-planned routes. RoadRUNNER publishes GPS eXchange format or GPX files. A GPS that support that format would be ideal; however, I know how convert GPX files into several other formats. I understand that my Garmin Nuvi 50 will not allows me to import a GPX route to follow. I understand that more expensive Garmin and TomTom GPSs do. I have tried several GPS apps for Android. Although the Google Maps and MapQuest apps will allow to use a pre-planned route, they will not take a GPX route directly, and I would have to plug the route in by hand. I am also looking at OSMAND and CoPilot. So are the expensive GPS units designed for Motorcycles really worth the extra money, or can I find what I am looking for with an android app?

How do I get power to all my gadgets. I attempted to power my Garmin through the right pocket USB port, but the Garmin went into PC mode and was useless while it charged. If I use my phone as a GPS, I can charge it at the same time through the USB port; however, I have noticed that if I am running the GPS and playing music that the phone losses power over time; even though, it is plugged in. For these reasons I am considering a handlebar mounted power port. The easiest way to get power to these is to connect them directly to the battery. When I did that to my XJ650, it caused too much stress on the battery. I know some of you have directly connected power to your batteries and want to make sure that it won't cause a problem.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
One thing I would highly recommend is an action video camera. I have a Polaroid XS100 that comes with a handlebar mount and it fits nicely on our bikes. It's waterproof and shockproof. I turn mine on every time I ride. Not only for the benefit of catching cool memories but primarily for protection. I don't want to be stuck in a "my word against theirs" situation if an accident were to occur.

· Premium Member
324 Posts
I ride with an action camera running video in both directions and it saved me a ticket from the local PD. I was pulled over for crossing a double yellow line and I told the officer I didn't think so. So I took ticket and moved on til I got home and reviewed the footage. I took my video to court and showed the judge I made it back in my lane before the double yellow. Ticket was dismissed. video is good. I use the Sony as100v. The best things about this camera is image stability and endless power when plugged into micro USB.

· Registered
404 Posts
You can consolidate gadgets with proper planning,, I have the garmin zumo 590. That way it is my tire pressure monitor, my traffic and weather source, it remotely controls my a garmin action cam, it allows me to run my XM radio thru bikes bluetooth, this garmin also allows me to run music from other sources that the ctxs bluetooth wont accept. I have a usb and 12 volt power port built into the tail trunk

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
I like some gadgets. But I like simple also. I have a Nuvi 550 that is mc friendly, waterproof and works well with gloves on. That connector you are using is the reason your GPS goes to PC mode. The Garmin (and maybe others, don't know) have a "special" plug end for providing power while using. A standard USB connector will always put it in PC mode. I have the RAM mount for my Garmin Nuvi and the Garmin branded direct power adapter on the bike (check out my post HERE as well as my flickr photos). I tried a few third party brand adapters and they didn't work as advertised. I know it's not the biggest screen but I don't need it any bigger to see where to turn. I use my GPS just for GPS since I have other things that handle phone, music, radio, etc. I do find that mine is still available on Amazon.com but is no longer available from Garmin. It still works and still gets updates. I would say the price of the mc specific GPS units is worth it. Most newer models do lots of added stuff besides just GPS. I tried a car type GPS for a few months but found the screen was WAY too washed out on sunny day rides and I couldn't see it, and I was always being mindful that it wasn't waterproof so had to keep something along to put over it for rain. The mc GPS units have better screens to handle bright sun (I can see my screen even in bright sun from behind me shining on it). And then there's the touch screen and using with gloves on. The mc GPS will work better with gloves. Oh, and it works fine in the car also. If I had to get another one it would definitely be a mc specific unit.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
I ride with an action camera running video in both directions and it saved me a ticket from the local PD. I was pulled over for crossing a double yellow line and I told the officer I didn't think so. So I took ticket and moved on til I got home and reviewed the footage. I took my video to court and showed the judge I made it back in my lane before the double yellow. Ticket was dismissed. video is good. I use the Sony as100v. The best things about this camera is image stability and endless power when plugged into micro USB.
I rest my case :)

· Registered
26 Posts
@Barrettmusicman1 Does the video on the Polaroid continue to cycle when it gets full?

One thing I would highly recommend is an action video camera. I have a Polaroid XS100 that comes with a handlebar mount and it fits nicely on our bikes. It's waterproof and shockproof. I turn mine on every time I ride. Not only for the benefit of catching cool memories but primarily for protection. I don't want to be stuck in a "my word against theirs" situation if an accident were to occur.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
No, it'll buzz and shut itself off. If you record at mid-level hi def it'll record about 5 hours worth of video (if you put the largest memory card in it, it doesn't come with any). Plenty for me since I don't do any more than that in a day. Then I connect it to my laptop and clean the files. What it does give you is a large hi-def file and a much smaller lower-rez version in case you want to keep the video but you don't want it taking up too much space. I like that it's water and shock proof too, doesn't pick up a bunch of vibration.

· Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I ride with an action camera running video in both directions and it saved me a ticket from the local PD.[snipped] I use the Sony as100v. The best things about this camera is image stability and endless power when plugged into micro USB.
I bought a Sony as100v. But it only has one lens. Did you mount two? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Where do you mount yours? I watched your video and it looks like you put it on the right lower bracket. I would like to capture more of the road in front of me, i.e. the 170 degrees of the lens. Thinking of mounting it on the lower right corner of the windshield, but I need such a bracket. Dunno which to get yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.