CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at buying a motorcycle cover, but wasn't sure what size to get for the CTX. Has anyone purchased an aftermarket cover that fits our bike good? I should mention I have the rear box installed.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,054 Posts
I got an UltraGard cover. I love it! It covers the top half of the bike. Perfect for covering when I am at work or on a trip. I even got the red one to match the bike! I will take some pictures of my bike with the cover for you today (I am cleaning the garage). Here is the cover on Amazon.... keep in mind that their picture is a Gold Wing.

Amazon.com: UltraGard 4-458A Cranberry Touring Motorcycle Half Cover: Automotive

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I use a Nelson-Rigg UV2000 half cover. About the same price as the UltraGard. I kept the same cover through my Burgman with top case, ST1100 with top case, and now my CTX1300 without top case. I have size L I think (will have to verify tonight). Fits all of those just fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses. I'll check them out.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I've been using a cheap-o cover from WalMart, but now that I see that Ultraguard cover, it kinda feels like I've been using a burlap sack. :(
Time for an upgrade!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've never put a cover on a bike...just curious what the motivation is for those of you that do? Protection from rain showers & the dirt that follows? UV protection against fading?

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I usually only put a cover on overnight during moto camping. Many trees weep sap and I want to keep that stuff off the bike. You don't have to be parked directly under a tree to get hit either. I don't worry about rain or sun. I would expect the sun to be more damaging (UV) than rain, but tree sap is worse than both. For really sunny days I also try to park with the nose of the bike facing the sun. I personally know riders of bikes with fairings and tall windshields who have ended up with damage (minor melting or warping) from reflected concentrated sun off the back side curve of the shield onto the dash or top shelter. My own Gold Wing had a minor spot of such damage. I used a shield cover on that bike also (basically an old tshirt).

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I cover mine whenever I will leave it parked at my house for more than a few hours, because my cat has realized that the sun warms the seat up and she will perch there because it feels good on her butt, I guess. I don't want to chance her getting startled and digging her claws into the upholserty, not to mention the dusty paw prints that she causes.

Reactions: OneMileAttaTime

·
Registered
86 Posts
Formosa from Amazon

I got a Formosa XXL cover on Amazon for $35. They look good and are waterproof. The only one I could find that would cover all the way to the ground, mine has the rear carrier too. It says it comes with a cable lock too but it's flimsy.
Ditto for me. Got one on sale years ago from Amazon (they tend to discount the less popular color combinations, but the blue-black-silver I got looks fine) for $20-something.

Quality is surprisingly good when you realize what you paid. Lasting a long time for me but I use it inside a garage. You may need the more expensive versions or the high dollar brands if you need all weather protection outside all year-round.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Bob! And the reason I want one is I bought the bike to commute to work (at least that's what I told the wife) and wanted to protect it from the elements as much as possible when it's parked at work. 40-45 mph is much better on the pocket book than 15 (my truck). Thanks again for the responses!!!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,054 Posts
Thanks Bob! And the reason I want one is I bought the bike to commute to work (at least that's what I told the wife) and wanted to protect it from the elements as much as possible when it's parked at work. 40-45 mph is much better on the pocket book than 15 (my truck). Thanks again for the responses!!!!
Same with me. My f150's MPG sucks. I have been motorcycle commuting for years. I cant even begin to tell you the amount of money we saved! Cover the bike, you will not regret it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since my wheels live in the driveway beneath trees, I keep the bikes covered all the time at home to protect them from pollen, sap and the California sun (not much water here) with this for the CTX:

The Touring size is very roomy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also looking into buying a cover for my CTX. Is the stock Honda cover worth the price? I am still searching around and will buy one pretty quick, its getting steamy here in Texas. Do you really have to let the engine
cool before putting the cover on?

I did find a really cool cover that some may find pretty handy; Cycle shell is a full enclosure designed for motorcycle protection and storage.

CycleShell Enclosure - Outdoor Motorcycle Cover - Protection

Also a nice article on covers at:

A Guide to Motorcycle Covers | Motorcycle Cruiser

·
Registered
80 Posts
Still happy

I got an UltraGard cover. I love it! It covers the top half of the bike. Perfect for covering when I am at work or on a trip. I even got the red one to match the bike! I will take some pictures of my bike with the cover for you today (I am cleaning the garage). Here is the cover on Amazon.... keep in mind that their picture is a Gold Wing.

Amazon.com: UltraGard 4-458A Cranberry Touring Motorcycle Half Cover: Automotive
Still happy with that Ultragard half cover?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts