CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured a way to modify a jack to be able to jack the CTX up? I hav a nice jack that worked perfectly for the VTX, but the CTX exhausts are lower than the frame and I doubt I could lift the bike by the exhausts.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Yeah, not a good idea to lift by the exhausts. I am still looking for getting a front wheel chock (Christmas?) and then would use a scissors jack at the center stand mount bar to lift the rear tire off the ground with. I really don't see many reasons why I need to do that other than to replace the rear wheel/tire. The front chock is enough for any other maintenance where I need the bike straight up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, not a good idea to lift by the exhausts. I am still looking for getting a front wheel chock (Christmas?) and then would use a scissors jack at the center stand mount bar to lift the rear tire off the ground with. I really don't see many reasons why I need to do that other than to replace the rear wheel/tire. The front chock is enough for any other maintenance where I need the bike straight up.
I clean my bike probably too much and it is nice to be able to spin the rear tire to clean the wheel and brake parts rather than move it back and forth a few inches at a time.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Probably not any more than I do. 😄 I'm always shinning on my baby! My wife teases me all the time about it. I'll say I'm going out to the garage for a little bit and she'll say " Are you going out to shine on your baby" I just look at her and smile. I like having a clean bike to ride.

I clean my bike probably too much and it is nice to be able to spin the rear tire to clean the wheel and brake parts rather than move it back and forth a few inches at a time.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not any more than I do. 😄 I'm always shinning on my baby! My wife teases me all the time about it. I'll say I'm going out to the garage for a little bit and she'll say " Are you going out to shine on your baby" I just look at her and smile. I like having a clean bike to ride.

I clean my bike probably too much and it is nice to be able to spin the rear tire to clean the wheel and brake parts rather than move it back and forth a few inches at a time.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. My wife calls it "spending time with my girlfriend" when I work on her.:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
WHAT?! Cleaning IS riding time for me. Ride in the rain to wash the bike most times it gets washed. A light short rain does add a bit of road grim. But a good hard or long rain actually washes off the road grime, especially when I'm on a road alone without traffic.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I like riding a clean bike, I don't enjoy riding in the rain. For one reason too stressful more likely to be in an accident, plus gets bike all nasty dirty.

WHAT?! Cleaning IS riding time for me. Ride in the rain to wash the bike most times it gets washed. A light short rain does add a bit of road grim. But a good hard or long rain actually washes off the road grime, especially when I'm on a road alone without traffic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ride mine all the time, but I don't like riding it dirty if I can help it. I have almost 10K on it and it was bought at the end of May. There are plenty of times when I need to be around but can't go anywhere, so that is bike cleaning time.

Reactions: V0X

·
Registered
764 Posts
I tend to wash my bikes in the Winter, but not in the Summer. I usually only wash a bike when I've been riding it on salted roads.

I usually find washing a bike to be an uncomfortable experience. It's usually about 40 degrees F when I wash one.

If I ever build my own house, I'll have a heated garage with a wash area for the bikes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tend to wash my bikes in the Winter, but not in the Summer. I usually only wash a bike when I've been riding it on salted roads.

I usually find washing a bike to be an uncomfortable experience. It's usually about 40 degrees F when I wash one.

If I ever build my own house, I'll have a heated garage with a wash area for the bikes.
That's exactly what the temp is here right now...40 degrees. I am getting ready to meet up with a few guys to head down to Daytona for the Turkey Rod Run car show. Should warm up to about 60 today and be nice riding back later today. Chilly ride down.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just come back from a ride to the South Coast of Cornwall (UK) and had a bit of lunch at Falmouth clear sky 16c (what's that in Fahrenheit ) and it looks like a good week,so hopefully a few more riding days before the big day.
But I did ride my Victory V92TC

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Just come back from a ride to the South Coast of Cornwall (UK) and had a bit of lunch at Falmouth clear sky 16c (what's that in Fahrenheit ) and it looks like a good week,so hopefully a few more riding days before the big day.
But I did ride my Victory V92TC
That would be 61F.
Lunch is important :smileygarden_de_ban
Any 2 wheels is better than a cage.
Where are the pictures?

Reactions: Drummer

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Willajabir,
I am afraid I am not one for carrying a camera around with me,however from now on I will try to remember to take one with me next time,I ride with a colleague who rides a GL 1800,which I changed from to go to the CTX,at 74 yrs I wanted something a bit lighter but different.
Cheers Melv

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a blow out on my rear tire and ended up only able to plug the hole with two tubeless tire plugs to get the bike home. I have a bike jack but like someone else mentioned I could not see a way to jack up the bike
with out raising it with the exhaust pipes so I took your suggestion and used another jack I had on the center stand bracket and was able to safely raise the bike along with usiing my wheel chock for the front wheel. I couldn't figure out how to get the rear tire off without removing the calipers so that is what I had to do. I haven't put a new tire back on the bike yet but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out when the new tire shows up. Thanks for your suggestion. I was going to ride the bike up to the bike shop 20 miles away with the patch but the tire was only able to hold about 15 psi and I really didn't want to do that. Luckily, now I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The manual explicitly mentions that you have to take the calipers off both front and back to remove the wheel. You may get away with it in front, but surely not in the back, where the wheel has to move sideways and out.

Note that the one bolt you removed to take the caliper bracket out in the rear is a single-use bolt and should be replaced when you put the wheel back in. The same goes for the corresponding bolts in front.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the Craftsman aluminum motorcycle jack and have made a 2x4 wood block that I place on the forwardmost rubber pad of the jack. I line up the rear pad of the jack so it hits on the two bosses on the frame that are for the center stand. The wood block is 7" long and fits between the exhaust pipes to lift on the frame. It is about the right height to make up for the amount of the centerstand bosses that stick down so the bike is just about level when jacked up. I would get pictures, but my bike is at a friend's house right now.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
How can the wood block get to the frame when the engine hangs down below the frame by about 6 inches or so? Didn't know there was any frame that hung low enough in front of the engine.
Just curious since I've been wondering how to lift without putting the weight on the oil pan.

A photo would be very nice when you are able. Thanks. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts