CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Since COVID is still such a thing I am debating a cross country trip instead of the NE Canada trip. DEBATING, not DECIDED.

In order to pull off the Seattle to Huntsville trip I would ship the bike to Seattle, fly there on a Friday and leave Saturday morning. Ride Saturday to Saturday and be home the following Sunday.

So the question is...

Has anyone ever shipped a bike? Is it safe and reliable? I would hate to land in Seattle and the bike was unridable back. I would prefer to ship it to a Honda dealership and have them inspect it but the reality is an independent would probably spend more time checking it out thoroughly than a dealer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Maybe find another CTX forum owner/member out there that could receive the bike for ya. You could exchange some detailed pics so those on the receiving end would know what to look for. Of course you could do that with a cooperating dealer also. Just don't know if a dealer would want to be responsible for it or not. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure if this will make sense but why not ride from Huntsville toward Seattle. If you were to make it to Seattle, evaluate the dealers there yourself. Shipping a bike should be easy
The one thing I find odd is; If you are planning to execute this now, you will encounter snow, heavy snow in the mountains unless you cross the Rockies in California then ride north up the PCH.
This is what I would do.
Personally I am considering renting a storage locker for 6 months (Oct - Apr) in Nevada so I could do a winter vacation in the southern US. I live near Edmonton Canada.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trip will be in July or Sept of 2022.

The plan is to ride home. I don't think I would want to leave my bike there, but to be honest I never thought of it. Riding west and flying back may be better.

I have some proposed routes on an excel ss. I may see if I can attach it just so others can see the route.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
The trip will be in July or Sept of 2022.

The plan is to ride home. I don't think I would want to leave my bike there, but to be honest I never thought of it. Riding west and flying back may be better.

I have some proposed routes on an excel ss. I may see if I can attach it just so others can see the route.

Understood, that makes perfect sense. your route looks great.
glen

·
Registered
94 Posts
Happy new year, Troy. In 2017 i bought my CTX unseen at a dealer in Oregon.I had the bike shipped to Florida where it arrived without a scratch in perfect condition. The company i used is Haulbikes.com, a motorcycle only carrier who exclusively uses specialized double deck trailers . Most other companies will put the bike on a pallet where it will be just a by load. The whole trip from pickup to delivery took about 4 weeks and cost me a little under $300.00! I would absolutely use them again. Easiest to take delivery is at a dealership or a public place like a Walmart, as they will not go into a residential neighborhood.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy new year, Troy. In 2017 i bought my CTX unseen at a dealer in Oregon.I had the bike shipped to Florida where it arrived without a scratch in perfect condition. The company i used is Haulbikes.com, a motorcycle only carrier who exclusively uses specialized double deck trailers . Most other companies will put the bike on a pallet where it will be just a by load. The whole trip from pickup to delivery took about 4 weeks and cost me a little under $300.00! I would absolutely use them again. Easiest to take delivery is at a dealership or a public place like a Walmart, as they will not go into a residential neighborhood.
Thank you for the information, I will certainly look them up tomorrow!

After thinking about what Glen said I think it would be better to ride to Seattle with known good bikes, then ship them back. That way shipping delays or accidents don't leave us stranded in Seattle. The only down side is no riding while we are waiting for the bikes to return. Oh wait! Perfect excuse to buy a second bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts