CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Once again we see the conflict and confusion that arises when riders try to fit the CTX1300 into conventional, traditional categories. Cruiser riders and evaluators try to press it into the cruiser category and sport touring riders and evaluators try to press it into the sport touring category. Even touring riders try to press it into one or the other of these categories. Only those who are flexible enough to accept that this bike stands on its own in a new category that is yet to be officially acknowledged, somewhere between cruiser and sport tourer. It is really neither, yet both, at the same time. Tourer fits it best I think. Bagger is the design without a top case coming stock. Of course that means you could call the ST1300 a bagger too, but it is too much sport touring to go that far. I still think this bike will sell well, but don't expect sales to really wow the industry since most riders will need some time to adjust to where this bike fits in the scheme of things. I think a great many cruiser riders who want something more sporty will love this bike, and sport touring riders who want something a little less sport bike will love it too. I've known a lot of riders who fit that. Honda has provided.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very interesting read. I think the ctx1300 is having and will continue to have a slow start but at some point will catch on.

I suspect that Honda may skip a refresh for 2015 and probably introduce a 2016 model with possibly cruise, better shocks and a slightly taller screen. Just my take.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Just finished this article on my lunch break, and I have a few things that struck me as worth mentioning.
Why are reviewers so keen on giving this bike a label? The fact is, it is nearly perfect for me because it has elements of many different styles of motorcycles. Magazines need stop worrying about which cookie-cutter kind of person is going to buy the CTX1300 and focus on the information that they have. This is a solid bike, not for everyone, but just as capable of generating the happy-vibes as any other two-wheeled conveyance devised by man. One of the commenters to the linked aticle called it the anti-Harley. That's not a bad thing: to each his own.
The article definately pointed out that the brakes were far superior on the CTX1300, saying that you would notice it anytime you had to "turn or stop." Pretty much all the time, then?
There's at least one tidbit of information that didn't make it into the text of the article, though: Top-gear roll-on, from 60-80. The V-Star takes 8.19 seconds. Our CTX1300, however, does this feat in just a little over half that time at 4.86 seconds. Imagine you are riding these beasts. Which would you want to be on in heavy highway traffic?
My takeaway from the article: I made the right choice. :smiley-party0005:

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Funny thing I notice reading everybody's comments here on this and other reviews ... almost everyone here is of the mind that Bob pointed out -- our needs don't fit in any of the 'established' bike classifications.
- We don't have huge numbers, and we don't care, because that's not why we ride.
- For the most part we're all a bit more, uhh, seasoned.
- We don't want to be grouped with the 'lifestyle' and everything else that goes with that other brand. We want performance, but just enough to make it fun, because for the most part I think we've outgrown the need to be suicidal.
- We want style, but not at the expense of comfort.
- I think most of all, we want something that's a little bit different, not just to be different (although I do admit that is a small part of the attraction), but because nothing else out there satisfies our particular combination of wants.

And no matter what anybody else has to say about this bike, good or bad, we mostly love it for all of these things that drew us to it in the first place.

Very interesting group, you guys are. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know the American style of writing a review is tongue-in-cheek, as if making the audience laugh matters more than facts about the thing that you're reviewing ...

... but I just cannot stand technical inconsistencies. So:
- "7600rpm rev limiter", I'm sorry, that's 7500rpm. Count for yourselves or look in the firmware if you don't believe me.
- "a galaxy of data points", no, not really. It's actually a rather ****ty trip computer, the kind you would get on a contemporary, but really really cheap compact car in the lowest trim level. Get an OBD II reader and slap a phone running Torque on it and that will come close (but nowhere near) to a galaxy of data points. Much like here.
- "both bikes offer Bluetooth connectivity to two-speaker sound systems", actually, the CTX1300 does headphones too. RTFM!
- "... and hard wired plugs", actually, CTX1300 is USB while the V-Star 1300 Deluxe is iPod. I know that in the US every laptop is a Mac and every phone is an iPhone, but you should probably know that USB does everything and iPod ;-)
- "both sets of brakes are fed by rubber lines", I look forward to the first vehicle (regardless of number of wheels) that has suspensions, the brakes are on the mobile half of the latter and solid pipes are used for the brakes! On a more serious note, the CTX1300 uses noticeably more pipes than the V-Star 1300 Deluxe: everything which is not moving is a pipe on the Honda while the Star is basically an all-rubber system.
- "note the tone ring", that is not a tone ring, dammit! Go open up a Hammond organ and see how a tone ring looks like.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree Guys, these reviewers don't get it? Not flexible enough in their evaluation. This is a different bike. I've been calling it a "Sport Cruiser" when someone asks me to describe the bike.

One feature I'd like to point out that was important to me is that it doesn't weigh 900 pounds. It's almost the same weight as my ST was. Weight is one reason I looked closely at the BMW RT. But the cost, lack of dealers, sloppy engineering made me stay with old reliable.

I'm a baby boomer and my riding has matured over the years. Still feel the need for speed, but I also just enjoy the scenery too. Nuff said. :wink::wink:

P.s. Do you think Honda reads this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself.......no need to expand on what you've all said already.........

·
Registered
93 Posts
GOSH I will now have to quit riding and enjoying my CTX1300 because the mag guys cant find a label or classification for it. WHAT A CROCK:rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
[
There's at least one tidbit of information that didn't make it into the text of the article, though: Top-gear roll-on, from 60-80. The V-Star takes 8.19 seconds. Our CTX1300, however, does this feat in just a little over half that time at 4.86 seconds. Imagine you are riding these beasts. Which would you want to be on in heavy highway traffic?
My takeaway from the article: I made the right choice. :smiley-party0005:[/QUOTE]

Here again this is comparing apples to oranges as that scenario is virtually useless. Drop the V Star down to 4th gear and watch the numbers change. If the need to get to 80 mph is that important this is what any V twin owner would do. I don"t own a V-Star But I know that on my on Victory I'd be in 4th gear all the way to 80 and it would not be anywhere near 8 seconds. Two different motors which have different power zones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just for ha ha's I tried my theory today on my Victory, an informal test, 60 to 80 forth gear, about 4 seconds.
Again, a useless means to evaluate anything as not used in the real world

·
Registered
84 Posts
When people ask me what type of bike it is I tell them the best I can describe it is that the CTX stands for Cruiser Tourer Crossover. When I say that they say "Oh Ok cool bike".
I just happened to be thinking about that today and was thinking I bet cruiser tourer. My buddy asked me the other day what kind of bike it is. I replied it is suppose to be a cruiser but kind of a tourer too. I will see tomorrow when I pick up my new CTX if I think it is more cruiser or more tourer. Nice 50 mile ride home!
:smileygarden_de_ban:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought the CTX1300 in 2014, Honda Dealer told me the CT in CTX stands for Cruiser-Tourer. I think that fits perfectly. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Reactions: OneMileAttaTime

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just traded in my NEW (Left over dealer stock) 2012 Yamaha V-Star 1300T for a new 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe a couple of weeks ago and both are fantastic rides and both are totally different.

The Yammie is a proven cruiser that has sold for many years and is still in the lineup, with a few touring touches.

The Honda is a proven design (?) as far as the 'powertrain/ trans/final drive goes, that has been proven in the ST series. Having side cases allows some touring capability and with some additional accessories it will make a fine one, especially in the deluxe model, with the safety of ABS, linked brakes and a primitive traction control. MY CTX has the taller factory screen, passenger backrest and the small luggage rack so aside from a real cruise control like my Wings and BMW's had, I feel it a real touring mount.

I feel that the CTX1300 personifies the 'UJM" the Universal Japanese Motorcycle, albeit with some funky plastic stuff thrown in. The riders triangle at least for me is perfect, with the arms forward, horizontal to the ground, Legs forward, also horizontal and a 90 degree bend at the knees, right down to a comfortable foot peg that allows a little foot bending.

MY last new Goldwing, a 2012 was by far the epitome of comfort and touring capability all in one package. Although I haven't done any rides of more than 150+ miles yet, I feel that my decision to buy the CTX was a good one and it too will really shine for long distance, high speed, touring tasks. It works fantastic as a commuter and the every day bike!

Do I miss the Yamaha?? No:tongue:

Am I in Love/ Lust with my new CTX?? Indubitably :smiley-happy0034:

Sam:ty:

·
Registered
25 Posts
i came from a big v twin 1500 and road an ST i will tell you after 3k mile trips neither are comfortable, Honda in my opinion takes the best of both worlds and applied them on to a h*ll of a nice motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts