CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video one of my Facebook Friends posted. With the approach of winter here at home, I was motivated to share it with the board. Here is the commentary of the person who took and posted the video:

Stumbled across this crazy biker on November 3rd during our first snow storm of the year. Located about 30kms west of Bathurst New Brunswick on Route 180. This road is almost exclusively a logging route...no cell service, no houses, no power, no gas. NOTHING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7jqIPVulE

·
Registered
446 Posts
Back home, it usually starts to snow around noon or very early evening, so most people who got to work on a bike in the morning will be stranded on the way home. I've seen quite a few crazy ones riding the likes of Hayabusa with feet gliding on the snow, but none of them did the drift turn around stunt this guy does in the video :)

I used to ride a Venture before the CTX and I've had the occasion of doing short runs on wet grass, mud, gravel or other less-than-perfect surfaces and it was no fun -- what this guy does is truly awesome.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes sir, when it started the spinning, I was cringing while waiting for him to hit the ground. Happy ending.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I'll have to wait to get home to see the video, no YouTube allowed at work... they block that website.

While I do ride all year here in central Iowa... and we do get temps as low as in the mid teens BELOW ZERO F, I don't ride (usually) when there is ice/snow on the pavement on my route.
If the pavement I use is clear/dry I will ride regardless the temp. My lowest to date is -15.7ºF/-26.5ºC.
On the Year Round Riders web site there are some who have documented riding in rather deep snow. While there may be packed snow on some streets when I ride during winter months I try to avoid those streets. I will usually pre-drive the commute route in the cage before returning to riding the bike to work to ensure the pavement is clear. I have ridden my Burgman 650 in 2" deep snow/slush... twice... in 10 days. Both times the weather prognosticators guaranteed the temps would be warmer and the skies clear. Both times it clouded up and snow was falling just at my time to go home. Rode in the path left by cages in front of me along city streets the entire way and had no problems other than the slush buildup on the helmet visor that had to be wiped off occasionally. :) The Burgman has a CG lower than even our CTX1300s and behaved well for those rides.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've ridden in worse conditions. But I would never try that spin move.

Every time I've ridden in snow it was because I underestimated the weather. I'd get out somewhere and then the snow would fall. I'd like to say it won't happen again, but it probably will. The scariest part is all the other morons out there who don't know how to drive in the snow.

I ride quite often when the roads are clear, but there is snow on my driveway and on the parking lot at work. I probably won't do that much anymore since I now have a nice car with all wheel drive.

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
finally watched the video. As @TenneseeSmith stated, road wasn't as bad as I've been in either... on the bike. And I also wouldn't be doing the spin moves like he did but just riding along carefully and as smoothly as possible and no sudden moves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts