CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most bikers 'paddle' their bike around with their feet to manoeuvre in their drive, parking, turning in the road etc.
I have very nearly dropped the bike, and possibly broken a leg, using this method so I have been practicing pushing it around without sitting on the bike.
I've made a little video, it's what I do you know, hope it helps others that currently paddle about.

https://youtu.be/GS9pVYdorDk

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Thanks for the video, Dave.

It's like slow speed tight turns. I know I can do it, but I lack the confidence.

And, in my case, little room in my garage on the left side.

Reactions: djrose007

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm only 5'6", 160lbs, and not a lot of upper body strength.

Back in the 70's when I started riding, I remember standing beside my bike (Honda CB350) and maneuvering it around...then it got "over center" to the right side and over we both went, with my falling on top of the bike. Luckily the bike was cold. From then on, I've been very cautious/leery about walking beside my bike, especially a 750lb one!! I'll only do it on level ground and only for a few feet.

I see this done by lots of people. All I can say is that I'm envious!

Reactions: djrose007

·
Registered
796 Posts
I feel you brother, I can move my 540# Magna standing beside it but not very comfortable doing so with the CTX. I’m 5’8” and not comfortable doing that. I have a back injury to boot that keeps me from doing that. I feel darn lucky to still be riding at 69. Off for a 350 mile ride tomorrow with the local V4 gang.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I was that way for my first two bikes. The 125 HD was my first and most scary since it was all new to me. Then my 750 Vulcan was the biggest thing I'd ever tried to push around.
Then came the monster... my 895 lb Gold Wing (wet weight but nothing in the bags or trunk and no rider on board). Pushing that thing around the garage cured me of any fear of any other bike. Everything else suddenly became light weight toys by comparison. It's just a matter of perspective.

Of course, I was younger back then with the Gold Wing and now that I'm older I do get some back pain when pushing or lifting something that was much easier when younger. The CTX1300 is plenty, but I do still have my balance with it. As long as you keep balanced and take your time it can be done without much drama. I expect not long from now I'll have to reconsider my promise to my wife that this is the last motorcycle... sort of. I could press the point that a Burgman 650 Executive is not a motorcycle but a scooter. Just a little stretch of the truth since the B650 is really a scaled down Hayabusa with scooter clothes (engine is said to have roots with that sport bike) and it is lighter than the CTX1300 with an even lower CG.

Just as an aside from this subject here is the order of preference of my top 4 bikes (at least that I've owned long enough to have such an opinion):
number ONE is the CTX1300 with the best comfort of all of them and the best mix and handling and power too.
TWO is the Gold Wing. Just made for the long haul but not quite as comfy as the CTX1300. Another one would just cost too much to buy now.
THREE is the Suzuki Burgman 650. About as comfy for LD as my GW and really good handling and power.
FOUR is the ST1100. Not as much power to me as my CTX1300 and not as comfy but still good. Very good handling and power still.

AS I said, after owning the GW all other bikes suddenly became relatively easy to push around standing next to them.

(now you can possibly tell where my mind has been this week :D , but no replacement is in view for a long time yet)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts