CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had previously commented in another thread about how effective the Honda Tall Touring Windscreen is, that I needed more airflow and was going to experiment with adding the MRA X-creen touring adjustable air deflector to the stock low screen.

Cut to the chase ..... it works quite well!

Airflow is probably comparable to the shorter sport screens from Cee Bailey but you also have all kinds of adjustability and mounting options.

I installed it with the longer arms that let you adjust height as well as angle. It does come with a bunch of small parts you need to assemble on the screen before you get into the nervous part about drilling your stock wind screen.

They do have the optional bolt-on adapter if you want to reverse any experimental use. I went ahead with the bolt-on mounting since it was cheaper and looks a little cleaner.

The initial configuration follows the same laid-back angle of the stock low windscreen, sitting as close to the stock screen as possible, but there is a gap which also allows good airflow to be vented behind the screen like a laminar flow. Laminar Lip does have a lip that fits the stock low windscreen but nobody seems to have posted any pics of what it looks like, not even Laminar Lip!

I think that gap and laminar flow helps smooth the airflow so that it was now hitting around my eye level and top of my helmet (5' 7" on a good day). It also let enough air cascade around the sides to flow over my arms and chest but kept the wind blast off (tested today up to 80 mph).

Minimal movement of the air deflector, it may move around a bit more if it's extended way up.

You do need to drill the stock low windscreen OFF the bike since there is very little room behind the mounting brackets. They provide a transparent stick-on template to show you where to drill the mounting holes.

Use some small patches of lighter colored painters tape on top of the windscreen first so you can see the markings on the template, then lay on the template carefully matching the alignment arrows on the template to the top edge of the windscreen and lay an extra layer of clear tape over the location of the holes to be drilled in the template to help keep your drill bit from wandering.

Luckily I had a brand new set of sharp titanium nitride coated bits handy to it had no trouble drilling through the screen, even when I had to go back and enlarge the holes a couple of times. Just run your drill slooooowwwwly and you should be OK, seems like the stock screen isn't hard like plexiglas that tends to crack under pressure.

Aloha,
Huladog

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is exactly what I'm planning on testing out myself in the spring once it warms up. I've got the X-creen drill-mounted to my Honda tall shield and have the bolt-on parts kit as well, which is what I'll put on the short one.

Glad to know it works well.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
I decided to try this out yesterday. I swapped the low stock shield back on and then transferred the X-creen from the drill-through mount I have on my tall windshield to a clamp-on mount attached to the low. This puts it a bit higher, even without using the extender arms from the kit.

Did a test ride and fell in love with it. It reminded me that I fell in love with the look and feel of the bike in its stock configuration with that low screen and have always felt like the tall screen somewhat compromised both its looks when I'm off the bike and the feel while I'm riding. This config is totally out of the way. The X-Creen, at least to my perception, doesn't really alter the lines of the bike the way the taller screen does.

But functionally it works wonders. I remember last fall that freeway rides with the low shield would cause a blast of air to hit starting around my collarbone and continuing up to my helmet. It was always even, clean air but a relatively heavy amount of pressure. The X-Creen turns that upper torso air exposure into a breeze and puts the majority of the heavily pressured air higher up towards the top of my helmet, but without causing new buffeting. That's a big bonus.

My ride was limited due to the cold (40F) but I'm going to want to test this on a longer session. I might now keep the tall shield only for exceptionally long rides/trips.

Remaining to be tested: effect this setup would have on pillion comfort.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hula-dog, where do you get the MRA X-screem? Will be riding a CTX deluxe by the time you read this. Trading my CB1100. God Bless..

Jayimpalaman

[email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Installed the touring version of the X-Screen on my Ceebaileys mid height shield.

Watched the video by Twisted Throttle before I started the install. They recommended using a step bit to drill the holes as a fluted bit could cause cracking. I don't have a step bit so I used a forstner bit and it worked perfect!

Thanks to dubbsrider for his video on the windshield removal.

Now I just have to wait until the snow is gone before I can try it out:cool:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would be concerned over time with the effects of ram air impact, crosswind eddy, and Bernoulli effect (aerodynamic lift) placing critical stresses on the hinges and attachment points.

Let us know how it stands up through the riding season?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hula-dog, where do you get the MRA X-screem? Will be riding a CTX deluxe by the time you read this. Trading my CB1100. God Bless..
Got it from Revzilla, although Twisted Throttle also carries it. I've ordered stuff from both companies, but Revzilla offers free shipping to me out in Hawaii with a minimum purchase plus their rewards program is like an extra discount.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am soooo divided between 2 options: the MRA X-Creen and the Madstad.

- The X-Creen is much cheaper.
- I already have Honda's tall windshield.
- The X-Creen could be installed both on the short and tall windshield.
- It would have to be clear since the ones I have are also clear.

- I have a Madstad on my other bike and love it.
- The medium grey would look good on the blue bike.

Question for those who have the X-Creen on the tall windshield: is it effective for the passenger? My wife complains about a lot of noise with the tall shield.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am soooo divided between 2 options: the MRA X-Creen and the Madstad.

- The X-Creen is much cheaper.
- I already have Honda's tall windshield.
- The X-Creen could be installed both on the short and tall windshield.
- It would have to be clear since the ones I have are also clear.

- I have a Madstad on my other bike and love it.
- The medium grey would look good on the blue bike.

Question for those who have the X-Creen on the tall windshield: is it effective for the passenger? My wife complains about a lot of noise with the tall shield.

Thanks in advance!
My wife disliked the X-Creen and tall windshield combo when riding as my passenger. I could make it work relatively well for myself, with some occasional buffeting, but she said for her it was like constant light buffeting that became annoying over time. She actually prefers the low screen + X-Creen combo to the tall.

I haven't loved the look of the Madstad screens on this bike, but it would seem for me the 17" Madstad shield is probably the only option if I decide I want max wind protection. At this point I'm more inclined to just not have that much protection.

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Too bad the X-Creen doesn't do it for the passenger :(

Then I think it will be a Madstad for me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Too bad the X-Creen doesn't do it for the passenger :(

Then I think it will be a Madstad for me.

Thanks again.
If you get the Madstad 17-inch, be sure to post pics! I haven't seen a pic of one on the bike, only the shorter ones.

Jeff

·
Registered
309 Posts
That is what I should have gotten before I bought the tall windshield. This will be my next purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Madstad windshield ordered. But it's a 15", not a 17" (sorry, I am just 5'6" and they even recommend a 13" for me...). Ordered the medium grey, should look good on the blue bike.

I sent a message last week with a few questions but did not receive a reply yet. They must be busy and maybe have some people on vacation...

Now the wait has begun :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the 15" windshield last week. Got it installed and it went quite well. I reused the original rubber nuts. I like the look (see pics below). I got the medium gray, thought it would look good with the blue. And I think it does :)

Did 2 rides of ~ 250 km last week-end. Since I had read that some people had problems with the rubber nuts, I brought the tools along, just in case. And indeed, the top right nut popped loose on the first ride. Don't know if it is because I didn't tighten it enough on the install. Took 5 minutes to reinstall (but under the sun at 33 °C...).

I am very happy with the result. It works quite well to reduce the noise. I have an Arai XD4 helmet and had to remove the peak with the tall Honda windshield because of turbulences. With the Madstad, I was able to put it back :) The situation is also improved for my wife, but not perfect, there is still some noise (some wind seems to come from below because I hear a lot of noise from her Scala Rider Q3 microphone ?). Investigation required here...

During the first trials I finished with the shield fully up and fully tilted forward. Then during the 2nd ride I tried fully down and middle tilt to see if it would better for my wife and she said she noticed an improvement while for me it was still as good... Go figure.

Well, that's about it. Next modifications:
- Auxiliairy LED lights, probably some Denali D4...
- Top case, might try to fit the one I have for my NC700X.

Happy rides !

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would be concerned over time with the effects of ram air impact, crosswind eddy, and Bernoulli effect (aerodynamic lift) placing critical stresses on the hinges and attachment points.

Let us know how it stands up through the riding season?
Update:
Have been using this combo all summer and no problems so far.
Have had the bike up to 140 km/hr. When I put the x-screen in the upper position its very close to the same coverage as the honda tall windshield.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts