CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always added mud flaps to the front fender of my other bikes. I was trying to have everything ready in advance of getting my new ride and see the front fender is too short for a mud flap. The V-star has a guard to protect the engine. So, I searched the posts, accessories, and Googled. I don't see anything listed for preventing grime and road debris from the front tire(tyre) getting all over the front of the engine. Has anyone else found a good solution or do we just clean it more? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Reactions: SCS

·
Registered
446 Posts
Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I agree about the lower front of the engine cleaning itself. I just washed the bike this weekend (only 3rd time since owned) and the bugs and grit just came right off with no problem so it looks like new. I would, however, want to still extend the fender to protect the radiator a bit more. Don't really see much being thrown up on it yet but there is a little bit of dirt track on the lower center part of the radiator. No bugs though, which surprises me a bit... pleasantly. This might be the item I need for that.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I just clean mine more often. I usually get all the bugs cleaned off after I ride anyway and so I will go ahead and clean behind the front wheel/tire too. It's easy to clean anyway. I'm pretty picky about keeping my bike clean, so I usually always clean it after riding. A clean bike is a happy bike. :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I usually am concerned about the radiator, but it seems high enough on the CTX that it shouldn't be a problem. So, the part below the radiator is teflon :tongue:.
I'm getting antsy waiting for the bike. Wife asked me how many times I'm going to re-read the same posts.....
I'd seen that fender extender, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.
Now, back to making a list and checking it twice....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. I usually am concerned about the radiator, but it seems high enough on the CTX that it shouldn't be a problem. So, the part below the radiator is teflon :tongue:.
I'm getting antsy waiting for the bike. Wife asked me how many times I'm going to re-read the same posts.....
I'd seen that fender extender, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.
Now, back to making a list and checking it twice....
Hi All,
As a matter of fact i have today (29th October) fitted an Extenda Fenda,it has the adhesive patches to secure to the front fender,a little bit fiddly but I was concerned about the mud and debris coming back off the front wheel.
Hope it works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Careful with those fender extenders. They have, in several cases, caused cracks in the fender due to weight and force. This has happened on Goldwings, and many other bikes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Fenda extenda

Careful with those fender extenders. They have, in several cases, caused cracks in the fender due to weight and force. This has happened on Goldwings, and many other bikes.
Hi,I did fit an extension my GL1800 about 6yrs ago and was lucky I suppose,never had a problem.
But like everything else some one would have a problem sometimes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that, i shall pass that on, was not something i was previously aware of.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
There are a lot of ST riders who have put one of these on their ST fenders. I also have known many GW riders with something similar. My own GW came from the PO with a mud flap of his own design made of rubber that was bolted on. I don't recall reading of any issues with the stock fender with these. My own experience is only with a stiff rubber mud flap. Mine started tearing, the mud flap not the fender, and was beginning to rub on the tire so I removed it before any damage was done. No splits at the bolts though. I also had a rubber mud flap on the rear fender that originally had a small light in it. The wires were broken so I removed the light but left the flap. Never had a problem with it otherwise. I do know of many add-ons bolted to other plastic on a GW that had splits starting around the bolt holes but usually related to too much weight or stress applied, such as on a luggage rack bolted to the top case lid. I added large fender washers inside and outside to take care of that on mine. So I can see where there could be issues. But usually it's related to the bolt hole with bolt-on items rather than stick on items such as a Fenda Extenda. Just another view here. :)

BTW- tried looking up for this item on the official Fenda Extenda web site and it is not listed... at least for the U.S.A. Be wary of eBay claims of compatibility. I've know items advertised on eBay for one model bike are really intended for a different model and don't fit. But then again, maybe it is available overseas and just not here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Extenda fenda

There are a lot of ST riders who have put one of these on their ST fenders. I also have known many GW riders with something similar. My own GW came from the PO with a mud flap of his own design made of rubber that was bolted on. I don't recall reading of any issues with the stock fender with these. My own experience is only with a stiff rubber mud flap. Mine started tearing, the mud flap not the fender, and was beginning to rub on the tire so I removed it before any damage was done. No splits at the bolts though. I also had a rubber mud flap on the rear fender that originally had a small light in it. The wires were broken so I removed the light but left the flap. Never had a problem with it otherwise. I do know of many add-ons bolted to other plastic on a GW that had splits starting around the bolt holes but usually related to too much weight or stress applied, such as on a luggage rack bolted to the top case lid. I added large fender washers inside and outside to take care of that on mine. So I can see where there could be issues. But usually it's related to the bolt hole with bolt-on items rather than stick on items such as a Fenda Extenda. Just another view here. :)

BTW- tried looking up for this item on the official Fenda Extenda web site and it is not listed... at least for the U.S.A. Be wary of eBay claims of compatibility. I've know items advertised on eBay for one model bike are really intended for a different model and don't fit. But then again, maybe it is available overseas and just not here.
Hi Bob,
They are freely available here(UK) and it seems they are made by Pyramid Plastics.
Cheers Melv

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Drummer,
Did you get a few miles on after installing the fends extenda?
I made an extension out of cutting mat from the kitchen and just velcro to hold it in place.
Still mud on the bottom, but it stopped the grime from getting on the radiator.
I also made a flap for the rear. Got tired of the mud stripe up the rear and in the center of my top box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Willajabir,
Like you I didn't like the road debris hitting the radiator,the Extenda Fenda does not completely stop it but reduces it quite a bit,it could do with being maybe a couple of inches longer.
At first I had my doubts whether or not the adhesive pads where up to the job but they doing the job.
Regarding the rear fender I to have the same problem and still trying to figure out how overcome it,so that it looks part of the bike and not an add on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
BTW Willajabir,I looked at your photos on your profile wonderful photos.
Regarding the CTX 1300,I think I am the only one here in the South West of the UK( Cornwall)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mud flaps

Hi Willajabir,
That doesn't look too bad,will have to a piece of rubber belting and make one

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the front fender extender and it works well. Now need something for the rear, arain and the whole back gets spray sucked back on bike. Ideas? I'm working on one about 8" long.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I think someone made a large rear mud flap that attached to the plate mounting and extended down about that far. I had one on my Gold Wing but don't know that it really did much good. The rear end still ended up grimed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those with front fender extender, the one with adhesive, what's gonna happen if that piece of plastic disengages
and gets thrown in between front fender and rubber?
a. Will the wheel spit it out?
b. Damage front fender?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have the Fenda Extenda. It's real carbon fiber very thin and light. I removed fender, rouged up the services and used an aircraft grade sealant (pro-seal) to bond it. It improved the look a little but only minimizes the build-up on tranny cover.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts