CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busy day today. My parts came in so I installed my backrest and tall windscreen myself versus paying the stealership 150 to install. Any ideas on a GPS? I've never had one on a bike before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You can get waterproof ones like the zumo. You can use your smart phone. You could use an automobile version and take it off when it rains or use a zip lock bag over it. I opted for the auto version with zip lock after seeing several adv riders do it. I power it through a power outlet wired through the trickle charger lead.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
+1 what @willajabir said.
Also, you can check out what I did for how to mount it HERE, see post 5.
I have a Nuvi 550 that is waterproof and mc glove friendly. It was a bit less expensive than it is now and I didn't want to part with the money a Zumo or Tom Tom Rider wants. I tried an auto GPS but the screen didn't get bright enough for me to see it in bright sun. I decided to stick with the mc specific kind for that reason. Using a ZipLock baggie over it is what I know a lot of riders do if theirs is not waterproof. My mounting hardware is from RAM Mounts. They make mounting devices for all kinds of applications, for laptops, GPS, Cameras, phones, radar detectors, to mount in police cars, other cars/trucks, semi tractors, boats, etc. I actually bought it from Amazon.com but get the right part numbers from the RAM web site.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dman3626, here is what I put together for a GPS. I had a 7" tablet that I was not using and it has GPS on it so instead of buying an over priced motorcycle GPS I decided to make a mount for my tablet.
Now THAT is creative. What brand tablet is that? The mounts look pretty solid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea, I had to think this one through for a bit, lol. It is solid alright, I included some rubber between the connections to help absorb some of the jarring from rough roads. The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7". It is a nice tablet, I just upgraded to a 10" so I don't use it as much.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I went with the ZUMO 590, That way I get real time Tire pressure monitoring, remote control of my VIRB video camera, mp3 music storage and blue tooth connectivity for music, plus my XM radio plugs into the zumo so I can Bluetooth that also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts