CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I've been monitoring my mpg closely as I always do, it's a good indication of any problems if it drops. So like most people here, I was getting well over 40, for my main use of commuting, it was around 42 mpg. Problem is, last few times I've checked it, I'm down to 35! That's quite a drop and I can't imagine what's changed. I just had my 7,000 mile service done, which was oil and rear differential oil changed, that's it.

Once thing I recently did also was installing the rear trunk so my young son can ride more safely on the back - could that be doing it? I can't imagine that it is, since I'm breaking most of the wind. I also only average around 45 mph since my commute is mostly on non-freeway roads, it's not like I'm pushing 75 mph for hours or anything.

If I can't get my mpg up, I'll be really disappointed. I hope I can figure this out. Maybe I can take the trunk off next time I go on a weekend jaunt w/o the little one behind me...see what I get then.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Both of mine are barely getting 32 mpg now. Part of it is due to crappy gasoline in this area lately. Part of it is due to my only riding being commuting. This is fairly high speed compared to what I did in the good weather.

Still, I'm very disappointed in the mileage. My car gets 33 mpg on road trips.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Winter blend fuel + cooler temps = crappy mileage. The trunk may impact it a little, but I'd bet a coffee and a jelly donut on it being mostly the first two.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Two things: Were you riding with your son before? Also, on my trip out to Ohio last year, I noticed that at higher speeds my mpg INCREASED rather than decreased... got 50mpg at 70-75mph compared to 45mpg at 65-70mph

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Temperature makes a difference with my 2005 Vic Kingpin. Lower temps = lower mileage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Temperature makes a difference with my 2005 Vic Kingpin. Lower temps = lower mileage.
Have to agree there, my car during the frigid temps (20F and below) would struggle to get 20-22mpg, once we hit the 35+F days this week, I'm easily getting 26mph

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Getting comfortable with the bike and getting a little extra power on take off now?
This is a common problem.
I added the tall shield and trunk and my avg mileage only went down about 1.5 mpg.
Any of the above could be a factor.
I keep track of each fill up and brand. I find a difference in brands riding the same roads makes a difference also.
As I typed this, I'm thinking the motor was probably run without any mileage being added when in for service which would have negative results for mpg but nothing to be concerned about.
Next week, you take it easy and can brag about 50mpg :D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Have to agree there, my car during the frigid temps (20F and below) would struggle to get 20-22mpg, once we hit the 35+F days this week, I'm easily getting 26mph
When I rode through the Nevada desert in the summer, fuel would pour out of my tank. Got to hate the smell of gasoline.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weather in the 80s........did 250 miles........30 on winding mountain roads........220 on the freeway.........400 total miles on bike.........43.8mpg

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Winter riding in the Florida Keys, Grocery shopping , Charter boat parts errands. Two up @ about 280lbs. with loads. Tall windshield. Luggage soft bag.Temperature 70-84 ° Regular gas 10% mix. Speeds 45-60. Easy on the throttle, most the time....average...47-50 mpg. each fill up. Flat roads.
Last fall hundreds of miles of Western NC. Moutrain roads. Also two up. 44-47mpg. Mild temps.
Still loving this ride!!!!

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting comfortable with the bike and getting a little extra power on take off now?
This is a common problem.
I added the tall shield and trunk and my avg mileage only went down about 1.5 mpg.
Any of the above could be a factor.
I keep track of each fill up and brand. I find a difference in brands riding the same roads makes a difference also.
As I typed this, I'm thinking the motor was probably run without any mileage being added when in for service which would have negative results for mpg but nothing to be concerned about.
Next week, you take it easy and can brag about 50mpg :D
willajabir, I think you summed it up best! I've been taking it easy, and I'm watching my Avg MPG go slowly back up on the onboard computer thing...I'll have to let ya know where it's at once I'm ready for a fill-up! :D

Funny thing is, my previous bike was a Honda Shadow 1100, and I measured my MPG riding easy, and riding hard, and the difference was neglegible, so I was just always getting on it. Guess the CTX may be different, we'll see... may hafta start taking it easier! :smiley-happy0034:

What's helping me is to switch the computer view from 'Trip Time' to "Avg MPG", so instead of trying to beat the clock, I'm trying to raise my MPG. :D

Thanks to everyone for the posts! Lots of good info up there ^

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I keep mine on the instant/mpg and can get 43mpg at 80mph just by feathering it when it starts down on the mpg. Drops to 75mph sometimes when letting up a little BUT makes a huge difference in mpg/range/tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, I've tried everything, and my MPG has actually just gotten a little worse. My last tank got me an avg MPG of 35. That's 145 miles on my tank. Horrible!

I've tried 3 different brand gas, tried running some seafoam through the last tank just to possibly clean my engine up. I go easy on the throttle. It's much warmer now than before, so that should be helping too. I'm out of ideas.

Next time I'm due for an oil change, I'm going to ask them to check it out and tell me what's going on. 35 MPG on a bike I was just getting nearly 45 MPG on is just wrong!

Is there nobody else out there getting 35 MPG consistently?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I would get that most of the time during the really cold days this January and February, but not now. Maybe a bad plug? Good idea to have them check things. Are you keeping the rpm under 3000 until 5th gear? I usually don't ever go over 3000, 3200 at the most, and most often shift by 2800-3000 rpm now. Only go higher in 5th gear where I never really make it over 3600 rpm unless I get away from town on the Interstate and then it's around 3800 rpm (speed limit 70). I get the best mpg when I keep it between a steady 2500-3200 rpm (45-60 mph). That's most roads I ride.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Upshifting below 3000 rpm is not much fun. The CTX winds up nicely.

It's easier to hit the red line on this bike than any of the other touring bikes I've owned.

Reactions: kniterider

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Upshifting below 3000 rpm is not much fun. The CTX winds up nicely.

It's easier to hit the red line on this bike than any of the other touring bikes I've owned.
I know that for some it's not fun, but I have no need for more than that. I don't ride mine like many sport bike riders ride theirs. I don't need to be the first one across an intersection when the light turns green. It is enough to know I can be.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I haven't paid close attention to my mileage since the weather got better, but I'd guess I'm back into the low 40s. All that slow scenic riding helps the mileage.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welp, I've tried everything, and my MPG has actually just gotten a little worse. My last tank got me an avg MPG of 35. That's 145 miles on my tank. Horrible!

I've tried 3 different brand gas, tried running some seafoam through the last tank just to possibly clean my engine up. I go easy on the throttle. It's much warmer now than before, so that should be helping too. I'm out of ideas.

Next time I'm due for an oil change, I'm going to ask them to check it out and tell me what's going on. 35 MPG on a bike I was just getting nearly 45 MPG on is just wrong!

Is there nobody else out there getting 35 MPG consistently?
California gas?:wink: ok, sounds like you do have other problems. My previous suggestion is the most common. Now you have eliminated it. 35 mpg is ok for hotdogging it. But taking it easy, something else is amiss. Before you take it to the shop, make sure your tire pressure is good too. We are still learning this bike. On my GW1500, I could tell how low my tire pressure was by how much the mpg dropped. It was a '93 model and would drop 1mpg for each 1psi (if ridden the same otherwise). I had one co-rider who had a bad chip on his VT1300 that had similar results, but had other symptoms also. Please keep us informed.
BTW, I don't mean either of these is the cause. Just thinking about things that have caused minor mpg drops before and this doesn't seem minor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been averaging about 180 miles before my light comes on. The bike says it's getting 42mpg but simple math tells me 45. I ride 180 miles, I put 4 gallons in....Viola... Lol
For a 1300cc touring bike that kind of mileage is impressive. My Triumph Street Triple 675 gets that...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts