CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my ride back to South Texas from Virginia, decided to take all smaller roads, and stay off the super slabs. Let Google Maps do my routing, and ended up on a road called the Natchez Trace Parkway. Rode the parkway a little over 80 miles in southwestern Mississippi. Would love to have ridden more of it. Stretches over 400 miles from Nashville in the north all the way to the Mississippi river in the southwest corner of Mississippi. Was completed in 2005, and the road is very smooth. All a single two-lane highway. What I rode was mostly all elevated. Saw not a single stop sign in that 80 miles, and entry/exit points are pretty sparse. No convenience stores, hotels, businesses, or ad signs to be seen. Very little in the way of straight road, but no big switchbacks or anything technical. Just a nice, winding, scenic, smooth nature trail you can ride/drive on. Speed limit is 50mph, but I rode about 57 or 58 most of the way. Of note is it’s a designated bicycle-friendly trail, and bikes have authority to use the full lane - up to you to get around them. As I rode it on a Monday, I saw a total of 4 bicycles, and sparse other motor traffic. Section I started on hugged right on the edge of Pearl Lake for several miles.

If traveling in this general region, I highly recommend you check it out.
Water Plant Sky Tire Tree

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
That’s gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was a pretty steep drop-off to get to that pic spot. And no amigos present to help me if I muffed it getting back up to the road !!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
On my ride back to South Texas from Virginia, decided to take all smaller roads, and stay off the super slabs. Let Google Maps do my routing, and ended up on a road called the Natchez Trace Parkway. Rode the parkway a little over 80 miles in southwestern Mississippi. Would love to have ridden more of it. Stretches over 400 miles from Nashville in the north all the way to the Mississippi river in the southwest corner of Mississippi.
Coincidence that I was visiting Nashville a couple weeks ago and toured the Belle Meade mansion/historic site where they mentioned the Trace-Natchez trail. A major route pre-civil war and reason Belle Meade is where it is. It was kind of a ho hum tid bit when I heard it, but now there is a great reason to be aware of it!!! Thanks for the share! I'll throw it on my bucket list of rides.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I rode my first CTX1300 on the Trace all the way from Nashville to Natchez back in 2015 on my way to a wedding in Dallas. It's a really nice ride. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Starts in Natchez MS and goes relatively close to my house in Huntsville Al. I used to ride it from Natchez to JX Mississippi all the time for work. Year before last I took it up to Nashville from HSV and it was similar to the bottom half. Love the trace but at 50 mph it does get boring after a few hours, especially if you are headed to a destination.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my ride back to South Texas from Virginia, decided to take all smaller roads, and stay off the super slabs. Let Google Maps do my routing, and ended up on a road called the Natchez Trace Parkway. Rode the parkway a little over 80 miles in southwestern Mississippi. Would love to have ridden more of it. Stretches over 400 miles from Nashville in the north all the way to the Mississippi river in the southwest corner of Mississippi. Was completed in 2005, and the road is very smooth. All a single two-lane highway. What I rode was mostly all elevated. Saw not a single stop sign in that 80 miles, and entry/exit points are pretty sparse. No convenience stores, hotels, businesses, or ad signs to be seen. Very little in the way of straight road, but no big switchbacks or anything technical. Just a nice, winding, scenic, smooth nature trail you can ride/drive on. Speed limit is 50mph, but I rode about 57 or 58 most of the way. Of note is it’s a designated bicycle-friendly trail, and bikes have authority to use the full lane - up to you to get around them. As I rode it on a Monday, I saw a total of 4 bicycles, and sparse other motor traffic. Section I started on hugged right on the edge of Pearl Lake for several miles.

If traveling in this general region, I highly recommend you check it out. View attachment 47227
The Trace is part of the National Park System and is indeed a beautiful roadway, free of intersections, stops or stores. The 50 mph limit (40 near Nashville) can get boring, but don't be tempted to speed. Federal law enforcement drive unmarked Ford pickups and have zero tolerance for speeding. You'll see more by going slow anyway. Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Did that ride from Natchez to Nashville several years ago two up on our Wing with three other Wings. It is restricted from most truck traffic and as said above the speed is limited. But the history of the route is fantastic. Riverboats/barges going south were disassembled in Natchez and the boatmen walked back to Nashville to get a steamer north is the story I remember. There are pull offs where you can still walk the same trail as they did. History buffs would enjoy it as well as Natchez.

·
Registered
8 Posts

If traveling in this general region, I highly recommend you check it out. View attachment 47227
The Natchez Trace Parkway is indeed a nice hidden gem. Rode that road this past summer -- would recommend.

Live just a few miles from the Trace, actually not far from where the Trace runs along the shore of the Barnett Reservoir. Great riding on and around the Trace. Ratliff Ferry, mile marker 123 is noted for a great hamburger and is adjacent to the Pearl River.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have wanted to ride it all for a couple of years but have not made it there yet. Went down a little of it from Natchez in the car with my wife ( we were in Natchez on an anniversary). Like most of my rides just haven't gotten around to them yet. Still haven't decided on tent camping at camp areas that are along the way (stretcher far apart) or staying in hotels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts