CTX 1300 Forum banner

Dates?

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I have been wrestling with it for a while..

Since we are in June and the border is/will be closed I am canceling my trip up.

I will be waiting for the border to be open to make the 16 hour by car, >20 hr by bike trek up. And at that time I will make the circle from Toronto to Nova Scotia to Maine and back to NY.

The fall g2g is still planned and reserved.



Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
But please don't let my absence stop the rest of the group from doing the trip. I have to be very selective with my sparse vacation time and Canada was my reason for the trip.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
576 Posts
I’m guessing last possible chance will come up soon with the current June 22 deadline. Lots of media sources say it will open but Trudeau keeps saying “not so fast” as he wants 70% compliance with vaccine. I’m not so sure that will ever happen.
Been looking forward to this trip since last Fall when Troy first suggested. I have to agree that if the original premise of touring into Canada is not available now I may rethink it. I’m in a wait and see mode now but absolutely not making any decision yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I’m guessing last possible chance will come up soon with the current June 22 deadline. Lots of media sources say it will open but Trudeau keeps saying “not so fast” as he wants 70% compliance with vaccine. I’m not so sure that will ever happen.
Been looking forward to this trip since last Fall when Troy first suggested. I have to agree that if the original premise of touring into Canada is not available now I may rethink it. I’m in a wait and see mode now but absolutely not making any decision yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My personal belief is that Trudeau doesn’t want us Canucks crossing the border and seeing first hand how well y’all are doing in the U.S., as it would be embarrassing for him and his lockdown loving government.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Well, considering the uncertain boarder situation and some unexpected family health issues (my South Florida Family) I don't think it will be responsible for me to attend this ride. I have had that week blocked out and protected on my personal calendar since we decided on the dates. Bummer.

I just got home from Ft. Myers FL (Southwest FL Coast). Last week my Aunt was diagnosed with late stage stomach cancer. This came as a shock to my entire family. My Aunt is our oldest living relative on my Dad's side (70), loved by all, and this diagnosis was unexpected. As soon as I learned of this (late evening Memorial Day), I shifted my schedule around and made the 12 hour drive to South Florida to spend time with her. I was not the only one who made the trip! My entire family, from PA/NJ, came down as well. We had a little family reunion. I don't know how much time she has left, but I think I need to stay close to home for a while just in case I am needed in FL. I still plan to ride, as long as I am within my region, I can easily get down to FL on a moments notice.

When I was in FL, I learned the cancer had spread throughout her entire GI tract (stomach, intestine, esophagus) and is in her bones (Pelvic). The cancer is in her bladder and her ureters have stopped functioning. With that said her kidneys are not able to release fluids and have started to shut down too. Based on what I know about late-stage cancer, my Aunt may not have much time left. She is at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa now. Some family members are wanting her to start chemo, with the possibility of radiation. But, I think she will choose to receive no treatment. She is a Southern Baptist Christian, lived a great life, and is not afraid.

Sorry everyone. I will need to back out of our NE Canada ride. We can still do this trip in the future in the Post-Covid era. I still plan to be at a few rides here in my local area this summer (Blue Ridge Mountains) since all riding destinations are a short ride away from my house. I have full intentions of attending our annual Meetup in the Mountains this Sept.

Peace,
Chris Hansen
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
576 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Aunt Chris. I'll be thinking about you and your family as you face this tough diagnosis. It truly sounds like your Aunt is a very loved part of your family and I know she's grateful to have the family visit and show their love.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
576 Posts
Unfortunately, this is exactly what I expected.
I’m really beginning to dislike this guy for my own selfish reasons of course. I had hopes of still going with our original time frame but obviously that won’t happen. I think it was down to me, @Stlburd2, @BravoBravo and maybe @Guinness .

For those lucky enough like me to have pretty open availability with time I am putting out there that when the border does open I will be ready to go. I am scheduling a knee replacement about October and can put that off till Jan or Feb no problem. My only goal there is to avoid getting the surgery around riding season.

@troystg had the original idea of getting out of the South during the Summer and into Canada. I absolutely agree on waiting until that is possible and want to be part of that trip. As nice as I know the NorthEast US alone is fantastic, I want to include Canada when it's such a long way from home.

For those that still work and scheduling is not so easy, perhaps we can try and set another date. Would love to hear what all in this thread are thinking? Go when possible? Set date for next year??

For now, I'm cancelling all my reservations.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BravoBravo

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
So is everything a wash at this point or what? The reservations you CNX were for yourself or the entire ride. I loose track of who’s doing what when very easy. 😂
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Anyone know the status of this trip ? I see a number dropping out.
I can still make it but other than the start point I haven’t heard anything more.
Trying to plan ahead a bit If this doesn’t happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Sorry I can't answer for others, and sorry I had to cancel. Maybe next year the border will be open and I will make some route decisions upfront.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
Joined
·
502 Posts
Okay guys... I have a major dilemma.

As predicted, I am having difficulty in finding motels with sufficient rooms available and for reasonable rates for our group in the areas I was planning the routes. Some motels are booked till next spring. Here is my solution - tell me (quickly) what you think:

Move the initial motel to Saratoga Springs NY. All rides will radiate from this one motel. This location will allow us to ride in NY, MA, VT, and NH.

Tell me what you think but time is the essence.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
1152 miles to get there for me. Researching rooms the area looks pretty pricey. I can’t commit without a little more knowledge on room pricing. Let me know the motel/hotel name and cost please. I’ll response ASAP.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
Joined
·
502 Posts
Here is the problem:
Upstate New York, VT and NH are very popular in the summer months as they are big tourist areas, especially for hiking, camping, boating, fishing and of course, riding. As a result of this "influx", motel rates triple and quadruple. I had two motels block rooms at $115/night. Both cancelled my block and the room rates are now $365/night! Even Super 8 (normally around $85/night) are $245/night. Friggin ridiculous!

So, as I see it, we have two (2) choices:
(1). Book at one motel and ride into the various states. We can as a group, reduce the nightly rate by having room mates. or,
(2). Cancel the ride and book motels 10 months in advance. This of course is no guarantee that the reservations will be honored as in my case.

I do need to know how to proceed as "reasonable" rates are hard to find. I have one in mind near Saratoga Springs or we can use Utica.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Sorry to say I’m going to pass on this ride at this time. It’s a shame that these places are jacking those prices up to make up for the losses from the China Virus.
Just for info/comparison I have friends attending WingDing in Springfield MO complaining of the same gauging on prices. They know people are getting out again and taking advantage.
We’ll catch ya on another ride. Stay safe.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
Joined
·
502 Posts
I think it needs to be said....
This ride is cancelled 😒
 
  • Like
Reactions: Stlburd2
141 - 160 of 161 Posts
Top