CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding some electrical doodads to my bike (again) and have run across a big problem. I need to be able to get free access to both sides of the rear wheel. The right saddlebag came off without too much trouble, though one of the bolts took some real muscle to get loose. The left one, however...the one toward the front of the bike came out fine, but the rear one WILL NOT BUDGE! I've tried a few things to increase the leverage a bit, but it is truly stuck. I worry about rounding off the inside of the bolt if I keep up the brute force (and the wrench keeps slipping out), and if that happens I really will be screwed (pardon the pun). Anyone have any suggestions? I might be able to get some WD-40 down in there, but it's tight. One place suggested whacking the center of the bolt with a metal punch to loosen it, which I will try. One suggestion I will NOT try is heating the bolt with a blowtorch, for obvious reasons...

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
That is a "tight" spot to be in. :)
Hope the WD40 works. Spray it on the back end of the bolt (closest to the tire).
Spray it and let it soak in for some time then spray it again and soak.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
you can try holding a good soldering iron on the bolt to heat it or you can call the dealer if you have a warranty. A cross threaded bolt is a defect on the bike.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have used good old fashioned vinegar and reapply as required for a few days

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a few issues with my BMW and bolts that held on the engine guards. I found using a small ViceGrip that I would clamp on with as much force as I could muster. It worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts