CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I often use the stock speakers and love streaming slacker radio to bluetooth on CTX while on back roads but sometimes I wish I could route the blue tooth into speakers in my helmet.

I dont have any speakers in my helmet yet but looking on Amazon I found well rated headset/speakers (Sena SMH5-02).

I have some questions about this though if anyone has experiences with this.

1.) I don't necessarily need a headset, but would prefer quality sound in my helmet if someone else has an idea here.

2.) If I use this, can I still control tracks and volume through CTX buttons? My guess is probably not. I am worried that I wont be able to stream bluetooth to CTX and then CTX to helmet.

Thanks in advance

--- Ben

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
2) If you can control the audio with the buttons now using the speakers connecting a headset to the bike via BT will not change that. There is actually 2 BT systems at work here. One is the BT from your slacker radio to the bike (currently playing on speakers). The other would be BT to helmet headset. The bike controls will still work the same whether the output is speakers or helmet headset.

1) I was thinking of upgrading my helmet headset to the similar Sena SMH5FM02. That link will take you to the full face helmet version, which is what I would use since I have a full face helmet. Same as the one you indicate but with FM radio also. A lot of riders over on the ST-Owners forum like the Sena SMH10 and have written a number of positive reviews of it. I don't need the extra features of the SMH10 so prefer the lower price point of the SMH5. I currently have the Scala Rider Q2 and that is too old a BT version to work with the bike. I still use it for the FM radio and can plug in a MP3 player directly but that does negate the use of the bike audio controls since I am bypassing the bike at that point. So now usually I do use a flash drive in the USB connector and play music over the speakers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the sena 10 and the newest sena 20 with me on my usa 4 corners ride,, DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT waste your money on the Sena 20s units yet You will see what problems I had and apparently most of the new owners of this unit have had . It is junk, Half the units won't go to full charge even if you leave plugged in over night . and then run out of power within an hour or two... Static on intercom makes it useless. The expensive FM radio function do not receive any stations unless you are within eyesight of the transmission towers.. Oh also the 20s uses a new mounting system to attacj the electronics module to the headset after charging is is not a LOCK,, I lost one of my electronics modules on the trip when it just seperated... the connection of the cheaper sena 10 is much more solid

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I've been reading lots of bad reviews about the Sena 20s. But not so much about the earlier models. That's why I didn't mention about considering the Sena 20s in my post above.
The Sena SMH10 and SMH5 series are good units. No more bad press on those than every other comm unit I've ever read up on wired or not wired. In fact, read more good press on those than most others, including any Scala (wireless) or Autocomm (wired) units. Wishing I had known of Sena, or that they were available, when I was looking for one many years ago.
Of course a lot of personal preference is involved in deciding what option to go with. How it operates, how the controls work, how it sounds to the individual are most important. The best advice is to talk to as many owners of prospective units as you can find. Look on other forums like the ST-Owners forum, BMW forums, ADV forums, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What I'm not reading here (or missing completely) is anyone's experience/recommendations with or for a BT integrated motorcycle helmet?

Looking at the prices for some of the top rated BT helmets (containing BT, not "BT Ready") it appears the price differential between buying a SENA system (or comparable) and buying a "ready to go" helmet is essentially a wash.

Anybody have experience with O'Neal, Schuberth, BILT BT helmets?

Thanks ever so...:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, after trying many, I've found a good one : Midland BTX1 FM.
No problem for installation in helmet, and sound really good.
People who call me on mobile sais that the microphone respond really good also at higway speed.
Can surely reccomend !
(sorry for my english)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the 20s and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Schuberth SRC system. No issues on install or pairing with iPhone. I use is for phone, nav and music. I haven't used intercom yet though. Helmet is very quiet. Volume levels adust automatically for speed.

Pricey though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Scala Rider Q3. I love it. Pairs with the bike, your phone and also will communicate with older scala units like the Q2.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have the Sena SMH10 and it worked pretty well but I had a hard time getting it to sync so that I could use the audio buttons on my bike to control audio playing in the helmet. When I recently bought a new helmet I also wanted something sleeker to match its lines. I found the best choice was the new Sena 3S-W (the version with a wired mic for a full-face helmet). It much less expensive and, except for a relatively small 2-button control pad, it is contained completely within the helmet. The biggest advantage of that is that I can lock the helmet onto the bike and not have to remove the control unit to keep it from being stolen. The downside is that because most of the electronics (including the battery) are now built into the speakers, they are about 50% thicker than the SMH10 speakers and I definitely notice them pressing against my ears, though I have gotten used to it. Your experience might vary depending on the depth of the area next to your ears.

The audio quality is excellent, almost like decent-quality headphones, though the positioning of the speakers relative you your ears is critical for best results and can take some fiddling. I tuck the end of the charging head in behind the rear pad and it hides it completely, though I have to then dig a bit to get access to it again.

But all in all I am quite happy with this model, and it did not seem to have much trouble pairing with the bike. As soon as I start up the bike and it finishes the connection process, the music starts playing where it left off, and I can use all of the controls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts