CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm lucky enough to be able to ride year-round I was out riding with the Honda Tall Windscreen installed and while riding in traffic and along slower roads I was bummed to realize that I needed more airflow.

The Honda engineers did a great job designing this windscreen since it really does create a nice pocket of still air in front of your chest and around your helmet. At 60 -70 mph it's a great feeling and relaxing to ride, but down about 30 - 40 mph I was opening the face shield on my 3/4 helmet to get some air.

Thinking I was doomed to having to order a short Cee Bailey's I remembered reading on some forum somewhere about riders just sticking their knees outward to direct some air onto themselves so I gave it a try.

It really does work on our CTX1300! When rolling along slower roads just stick your knees outward, if you're like me you tend to ride with your knees close to the "tank" which works well at freeway speeds.

That little change channeled enough soft airflow onto my chest and up toward my helmet that it felt comfortable in warm weather. Then when you pick up speed, pull your knees back inward away from the airflow since it starts to get turbulent at higher speeds.

So when the weather turns nice wherever you are and you're cruising along behind that tall windscreen and you wished you got a shorter one try sticking your knees out and maybe you'll be OK and won't have to spend more $$ getting yet another wind screen!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
And that air vent costs since you have to buy the shield to get it. I did that on my Gold Wing. Had a Tulsa shield with vent. It was OK but I found it created a calm bubble that extended 3 inches over my helmet and the vent just was not enough in summer heat, I needed lots more air. Fortunately I also had Baker upper and middle air wings so I could adjust those to direct lots of air in on me, just like @Huladog says about sticking your knees out in the breeze. I like the idea of saving the $$$ to spend on other farkles. If you gots the $$$ to burn and want the Cee Baileys shield that's great too, They do make good stuff so go for it. I like the Honda tall screen better than any other shield I've had. I like having the smooth air flow hitting just at the top of my helmet visor so the top air vent actually works. I need that air in anything warmer than 40*F (for me). When it gets colder than 20*F I simply close the helmet vent and I'm great with that. It's a motorcycle, there will be some air flow. This CTX does a great job with handling that and managing a smooth air flow. I've had some shields (even on the GW) where there was actual turbulance off the shield. This bike doesn't have turbulance from the shield or the fairing (pillion not withstanding). Even the shorty presents smooth air. Just because the air pressure is consistent and firm or strong doesn't make for turbulance. Buffeting does (inconsistent, all over the place, like being in a boxing match with big foam mitts and the other guy is winning). I've never had that with this bike. The shorty puts that strong smooth air stream about my shoulders. That would wear me out for a LD trip but works fine in summer around town. I really like no cost solutions like this. No effort, no cost. Go out and buy other stuff with the money. Now, to build up that farkle fund so I actually HAVE some money. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
After all these years and miles I am pretty set in my ways to get my ride just how I want it so I can jump on and be cross country in 3 or 4 days. I know my arms have to be comfortably bent at elbows , and with my short arms , had to have at least 2 inches more set back, waiting on heli bars. My seat needed to be a touring saddle and not the brick style. Windshield needs to be tall enough and slanted enough to provide smooth airflow to keep debris( sand storms ,, Texas and upper Midwest areas) out of my face. I like adaptability. change with the prevailing conditions. Don't like weather telling me I have to sit it out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to get one of the MRA add-on adjustable windshield deflectors and stick it on the stock low screen to see if that's viable.

MRA X-creen Tour Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com

Since the deflector is adjustable I can tweak the airflow and maybe get a compromise between the shorty and tall Honda screens.

Yeah, the low screen looks cooler but I do want some wind protection to make freeway speeds comfortable,

Will keep you guys posted when I get around to this project!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
406 Posts
Anybody wants the shorty,, can have mine.. and will have the honda tall one available hopefully before April.
Especially if you are going to start experimenting on hooking things up to your shorty...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think I'm going to get one of the MRA add-on adjustable windshield deflectors and stick it on the stock low screen to see if that's viable.

MRA X-creen Tour Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com

Since the deflector is adjustable I can tweak the airflow and maybe get a compromise between the shorty and tall Honda screens.

Yeah, the low screen looks cooler but I do want some wind protection to make freeway speeds comfortable,

Will keep you guys posted when I get around to this project!

Aloha,
Huladog
I bought the X-creen last season to add onto my Honda tall shield because it wasn't tall enough for me to prevent head turbulence. The X-creen was perfect for that. I bought the kit that includes clamp and drill mounts. When I was sure it was perfectly situated for me with the tall shield, I did the drill mount into that shield. So I have the clamp hardware ready to try this exact experiment with the short screen when it gets warmer. Who knows, maybe it'll be perfect and I'll never even use the tall again.

Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MRA X-creen works!

I'm going to start another thread over in "Appearance and Body" with pics.

It works well with the stock low screen. I think this will be my setup from now.

Aloha,
Huladog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts