CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock battery finally died, same since 2014, trickle charging works! Being a V4, I knew it needs strong CCA. I exclusively use lithium on my other bikes, they work great, last forever and the weight diffence is striking. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money for the extra-powerful lithium needed to turn the big V4.
So I opted to stick with AGM. I must admit when it arrived I was disappointed to be reminded how heavy these things are. Add to that they are mounted so high on our bikes. At any rate, I'm thrilled with the quality of the one I chose and spent nearly nothing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YNOCRPU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
If you need one, you may want to consider it.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Well, if it's any consolation about the weight and location.
Honda early on documented their reason for both. Since the engine and transmission come right off the ST1300 with very minor modification for compression and a few other very minor things to bring torque and HP way down lower than the ST had, AND since they decided on using a 200 series rear tire which is much wider than on the ST, they had to shift the engine over a little to the right side so the final shaft drive would clear the tire while still avoiding any major reworking of the transmission (mostly a stock ST1300 transmission). That offset the weight/balance of the bike to the right. So to restore balance left to right they placed the battery high up on the left side.

So there you have it. I am certain putting in a slightly lighter battery up there defeats a little of that attempt and causes the bike to be slightly off balance to the right, but most riders don't notice and adjust well since they really don't ride this bike to the edge of it's performance envelope where it possibly might matter or be noticed.

And now everyone who looks at their engine on the CTX will be bothered by how it hangs out the right side just bit more than the left! o_O

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did n't know this, interesting, thanks for sharing bob.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The main reason I don't use the lithium batteries is that they don't have the same cold-weather output you get from a lead-acid battery. I ride in some pretty cold weather and I'd hate to be stranded at work because the battery got too cold.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The main reason I don't use the lithium batteries is that they don't have the same cold-weather output you get from a lead-acid battery. I ride in some pretty cold weather and I'd hate to be stranded at work because the battery got too cold.
Good point - I ride all year here in Nebraska and have to park outside at work. Have also been running on the stock battery and should really replace it like NOW!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The stock battery finally died, same since 2014, trickle charging works! Being a V4, I knew it needs strong CCA. I exclusively use lithium on my other bikes, they work great, last forever and the weight diffence is striking. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money for the extra-powerful lithium needed to turn the big V4.
So I opted to stick with AGM. I must admit when it arrived I was disappointed to be reminded how heavy these things are. Add to that they are mounted so high on our bikes. At any rate, I'm thrilled with the quality of the one I chose and spent nearly nothing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YNOCRPU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
If you need one, you may want to consider it.
I purchased the exact same battery, on Amazon, about 6 months ago. Original battery was still doing fine, but at 7 years old, it HAD to be near it's end of life. This new battery has been doing the job so far...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the exact same battery, on Amazon, about 6 months ago. Original battery was still doing fine, but at 7 years old, it HAD to be near it's end of life. This new battery has been doing the job so far...
This thread has great timing, my orig battery has just died and I was going to get a new one this weekend, and thought I would have to spend $100 plus to get it, because I thought the lithium Ion choice would be the best, but after reading about the balance of the bike being skewed to the right slightly with the battery to bring that balance back, I will get one of these ordered today.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this thread is almost a year old. I need to replace the battery on my CTX and was wondering the longevity of the battery mentioned above. How is it holding up ?

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this thread is almost a year old. I need to replace the battery on my CTX and was wondering the longevity of the battery mentioned above. How is it holding up ?
I would buy it again, it hasn't missed a beat!

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
568 Posts
Just make sure the batter is an AGM type. Better cranking strength, last longers and holds charges longer than lead acid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts