CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my new 2014 CTX1300D home today. I've only logged about 50 miles on it so far, but I'm looking forward to a morning ride. Still getting used to it; traded in a 2001 BMW R1200C, and to be honest, I hated to see it go. It was never a popular bike, but well suited for me.
Same with the Honda. I worry about it being a "one and done" bike, but salespeople told me they were certain Honda was coming back with it soon. Doesn't matter, I guess. It fits me; I like its looks, and Honda has a reputation for building a quality, long lasting bike. Can't ask for much more than that.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Welcome! I always loved the look of the R1200C; it's different! I like the CTX for the same reason. I don't want to have to squint to pick out my bike from a crowded lot full.

Reactions: Chappy

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Chappy,
Congrats on the deluxe. Yes, what color? Any accessories? Where you located?
Start taking some pics....I wanna see it....I love photos of this bike(Ok, all bikes), but this one mostly.
You riding solo or 2-up?
How does the ride compare to your trade-in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Willajabir,
I'll post some photos when I can, but for now: I bought the blue model and I've put about 300 miles on it so far. I've owned two Kawasaki Vulcans, the first was a 500, then an 800. I then moved up to a BMW R1200C and that's what I traded in for my Honda. As far as comparing the two, it difficult right now. I put about 15,000 miles on the beemer and even though the 1200C was an unusual design I really loved the bike. I would have kept it, but at 70, I'm retired and couldn't afford two bikes and needed the trade in to cut the cost of the new bike. Though, I have to say, I got a tremendous markdown from Honda. The BMW was a boxer and I'm convinced it is one of the best engines out there. But I think the 1300 is equally proven and I'm looking forward to racking up the miles on it here in the North Texas area where I live. I wanted something more suited for longer rides, a little heavier, but still manageable. I love the balance of the 1300 and the torque curve seems very much like the BMW. The engine heat is more prevalent on the 1300, but that's to be expected. The cylinder heads were down low on the boxer; not so on the Honda. So far, my only disappointment on the Honda is some of the panels on the fairing don't line up properly and that little compartment on the left hand side doesn't open like it should. Not a great loss because it doesn't hold much, but still it should be a matter of pride for Honda to do a better job. I'm hoping it can be adjusted some when I take it back for the 600 mile checkup.
All in all, I'm pleased with the smoothness and comfort of the 1300. I also think it happens to be a good looking bike as well.
Thanks, for asking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chappy,

Just saw your post. I currently ride a 98 R1200C and am considering the CTX1300. Would love to hear your extended thoughts and comparisons of these two rides. Do you feel the CTX is as nimble, agile? How about overall power? Similar or does the CTX have more torque for longer periods of time? I love the torque of my 12C. Powerband on the 12C is just right in my riding tastes.

Honestly, I'm only thinking of trading off because of Honda reliability. Did you ever have to replace final drive or have the dreaded clutch spline failure on your BMW?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
If the panels don't align, take it back to the dealer to make it right. They put it together....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bored2tears:
First, let me tell you, I had real separation anxiety when it came to letting my 1200C go. But now, I'm getting over it. I agree that the BMW is a nimble bike, but I can't say I lost any of that with the 1300. It is surprisingly quick and as far as the torque is concerned, I find the two bikes to be remarkably similar. The advantages to the 1300 that I've found so for include the extra 230 or so pounds, plus a lot more rubber on the road. As much as I liked the 1200, it could get tossed around in high winds on the highway. The 1300 just kind of bows its neck and plows on through.
The comfort of the 1300 is unmistakably better than the BMW. Still, I won't trash the BMW, in fact, the quality and workmanship on the bike is much better than I've found so far on the Honda. I believe the engines are both proven and trustworthy, but the Honda falls a little short when it comes to its plastic body. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, just not yet.
And to answer your last question, I had no trouble at all with the final drive or spline. I read about others problems with those issues, but mine was fine.
All in all, I have no buyer's remorse when it comes to the 1300. As I said earlier, I think it is a good looking bike, very comfortable and powered by a strong engine. I'm taking it in next week to get a couple minor problems taken care of and I'm interested in seeing how well the service department at the dealership steps up.
Good luck, whatever your choice is. I don't know that the 1300 is the best option, but it's a good one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Chappy, welcome and congrats on the new addition. I live in Southeast Texas close to the Gulf and the Louisiana border.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bigdaddy,

I live in Decatur, north of Fort Worth, but spent many good times on the coast. We used to keep a fifth-wheel on the Bolivar Peninsula and fished a lot in Galveston's east bay. Made many a run to Beaumont area for good gumbo. Unfortunately, hurricane Ike put a stop to that. Blew our RV out to sea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts