CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally installed them.
I received as a gift from one of my sons and his wife last Christmas a pair of LED driving lights.
Since the link to the lights I used from Amazon keeps changing just search on Amazon for "6KLED 20W CREE" and they should show up in the results. So far (as of this edit) they are the very same as what I show on my bike here. 3 inch round lamp with bar across the middle, 4 LED elements (5 watts each).
These suckers are BRIGHT!

Pencil beam, 10 deg spot, 20w per light, only 1.32 amps per light so a 5 amp fuse is plenty. From about 12 ft away from my garage door they put two very bright small spots of light below and to the outside edge of my headlight high beam pattern. The bright center about 8-10 inches diameter. From the front they are brighter than the CTX1300 high beam. I mounted them using slightly longer stainless bolts at one of the OEM fog light mounting points just below the engine guards.

A few weeks ago I made an aluminum button plate to replace the one my garage door opener button was on. I bought a new chrome garage door button and lighted 25 amp switch for the lights, both waterproof. I used bronze bushings with a flange as spacers and longer stainless cap screws to mount it on the left reservoir clamp.

Here is the plate before I cut it out but after test fitting the new buttons.

Here it is shaped to fit. I needed to shape around the left control cluster since the new plate overlapped a bit.

Here it is installed.

I reserved one of the fuses in my 3 position fuse block from Eastern Beaver for this project. This fuse block came with a 2 pin connector for power out and ground so used that to connect to the lighted switch and then to the lights. I prefer to have separate control of my driving lights and since state law requires any auxiliary lighting other than the factory low beams to have an indicator showing when they are on the lighted switch satisfies that requirement.

Here is the electrical diagram showing the wiring connections I ended up with.

What I added this project is within the box in the lower right of the diagram and also the "Fog-driving lights" connector.

Here is the current mess of wires under the top shelter as it is now.

The yellow and green pair of wires that runs across the top just under the ignition switch are the power and ground for the driving lights. On the right you can see where they connect to the red and black pair for the SAE connector to the driving light on that side. Same is on the left side but behind the factory fuse box. I routed the wires from the lights basically the same as the factory option fog lights would be routed. I looked up those instructions for the Honda kit to see if I could since I figured they knew best where to run the wires.

Here are a few more photos of the finished install.

I know, I know. I really need to wash the bike. It's just more fun to ride it though, and when I'm not riding it's raining anyway or I'm working. In this case, I was adding this farkle, too.

Will try to get some night or twilight photos to post later.

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Wanted to add to this a note about connecting driving or fog lights to the turn signals. I know I had mentioned doing this before as one way to avoid the driving lights from washing out seeing the turn signals. But there is a legal issue that prevents doing this in some states. I initially connected my lights to do this but then felt I really needed to be sure so I searched the State Code on vehicle lighting and also sent the question to the State DOT Vehicle Enforcement division. I looked this up for a number of states around the USA and found the law differs from one state to the next. In some states the code specifies that turn signals in front may be any color from white to amber. In other states the code simply doesn't address it. In Iowa the State Code has a section specifically for "flashing lights" and includes turn signals, the strobe on top a school bus, and even the light bar on a patrol cruiser. There is a special section just for blue lights (not allowed anywhere other than on law enforcement vehicles for example) and white lights (also not allowed except for on law enforcement vehicles, school buses, mail vehicles, emergency vehicles as specified elsewhere). In other words no, I cannot have the white driving lights flash with the turn signals in my state and in a few others I found. Don't know how it is handled when a vehicle from a state that does allow a white turn signal travels through Iowa. Maybe it is noted if the vehicle is really from out of state and passed over for it. It is not a primary offense so a vehicle will not be pulled over just for that, but if pulled over for a primary offense then that can be fined as an additional charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finally twilight so didn't want to wait longer to get some photos of the lights. Not too dark but dark enough to see the light :D
This is 16 feet from the garage door. The photos of the light on the door are with me sitting on the bike keeping it straight up. Obviously the photos of looking at the front of the bike are with the bike on the side stand.

Here is just high beams only.

Here is high beams with driving lights on.

And here are just the driving lights alone. Possible since the driving lights are driven by the Acc circuit.

In these photos the driving lights don't really look brighter than the factory high beams but about the same. In daylight (sunny noon time) the view from standing in front of the bike they do look brighter. Probably due to being more concentrated.

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be giving these a workout tonight/tomorrow morning since I have to go to our offsite emergency location for the state for computer work at 2 AM in the morning. Will see just how well they light up the road. Don't expect any traffic on most of the roads there that I take so will definitely get to use them. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yet another indication why I like these lights. Here's a photo down my street. Every morning when I back the bike out of the garage I test the lights high/low, on/off, etc. At this time of year it's dark at 6:25 am when I leave for work so I get a really good indication of range for my lights. This photo shows the direction my bike is pointing when I test the lights. Usually I am actually pointing a little more to the right, right at the tan house and the white house about 5 & 6 houses away. The high beams alone light up the bottom part of the side walls on those two houses. Then I turn on the driving lights and those walls light up from the very top to bottom, and everything between the Birch tree in my yard on the left to the red flag in front of the house on the right is lit. I can see what color all the cages are in any driveway as well as all the mailboxes. Even some details of those houses way down where the street curves out of sight can be seen. Oh, and this is even with the driving lights sweet spot aimed just BELOW the OEM high beams! :D

BTW- Nothing looks like this right now since I took that photo last week. Yesterday we had a big snow storm that dropped 7-9 inches of that terrible white powder on my driveway and the street. So it all looks VERY different now.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Yet another indication why I like these lights. Here's a photo down my street. Every morning when I back the bike out of the garage I test the lights high/low, on/off, etc. At this time of year it's dark at 6:25 am when I leave for work so I get a really good indication of range for my lights. This photo shows the direction my bike is pointing when I test the lights. Usually I am actually pointing a

Thanks for posting that! Now I get a much better visual of what you meant when reading about your lights hitting house 6 away from your place. Now if only it was a picture at night with the lights on.... :D

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting that! Now I get a much better visual of what you meant when reading about your lights hitting house 6 away from your place. Now if only it was a picture at night with the lights on.... :D
See link to another post with photos in post 5 above. I fixed the links that were broken to the photos I had posted there. I'll try to get a night shot in front of my house to show what this scene looks like in the morning if it ever stops snowing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
From Amazon on Sunday, I ordered the same lights Bob has mounted (additionally, I purchased a rocker switch to toggle the lights on/off and a 12V/USB outlet), and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival!

The location on the bike where Bob mounted these is a SUPER easy mounting spot offering a more elevated point of origin for the beams, which "catches my eye" for light to be thrown.

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally remembered to get that night shot. Actually an early morning shot just before starting off to work this morning. 36*F and wet pavement from a bit of fog, drizzle, and melting snow. These give the idea but due to the limits of the camera in my phone both high beams only (on left) and high beams with driving lights (on right) are slightly better in person. (click on photo for bigger view).

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Night Shot

Finally remembered to get that night shot. Actually an early morning shot just before starting off to work this morning. 36*F and wet pav
Thanks for taking and posting those Bob. Looking at the sides of those houses is a good measure as you said.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yesterday I installed the 20W LED spot lights that Bob recommended on Amazon. Boy-oh-boy am I a pleased!

These spot lights throw very good light down road and a good amount to the sides! My first short night ride last night was much more enjoyable on the rural roadways! Again, more light farther in front of me and to the sides to illuminate the ditches (scary critters) compared to only the low beam! Another plus is that that NO cages flashed me yet to indicate that the lights are too bright. Flipping on the CTX high beams with these spots lights is more impressive yet!

The images in this thread do not properly illustration the amount of light thrown by any means.

@bob, your recommendation and input for these 20W spots and the mounting location is greatly valued! :D

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Driving lights accessory shopping on E-bay

Bob your wiring diagram is amazing and I went shopping on ebay so here is complete list of Shopping for my cutie pie.

14AWG Gauge Silicone Wire Flexible Stranded Copper Cables 5m for RC black red
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/14AWG-Gauge...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Black Red 10 AWG Gauge Wire Silicone Flexible Copper Stranded Cables For RC
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-Red-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2X Tri Row 4inch 90W CREE LED Work Light Bar Flood Boat Driving Lamp 4WD ATV SU
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-Tri-Row-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

530Pcs 8 Sizes Assorted 2:1 Heat Shrink Tubing Tube Wrap Sleeve Wire Cable Kit
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/530Pcs-8-Si...var=521621676025&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Car Van 4 Way Circuit Standard ATO ATC Blade Fuse Box Block Holder 12V/24V G5I8
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Van-4-W...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

New DC 6-24V Auto Car Light Circuit Tester Lamp Voltage Test Pen Detector Probe
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-DC-6-24...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1X DC 12V Car SPDT Automotive Relay 5 Pin 5 Wires w/Harness Socket 30/40 Amp NEW
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1X-DC-12V-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Universal Motorcycle Silicone Brake & Clutch Lever Grips Covers Sleeve 7 Color
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-M...var=561230516970&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2Pcs Bull Bar Roll Cage Tube Mount Bracket Clamp For LED Work Light SUV Off Road
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-Bull-B...var=531573921722&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

5x Car Motorcycle Low Profile Mini Blade Fuse Tap Breakout Holder Add a Circuit
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5x-Car-Moto...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

7/8" Motorcycle 3in1 Handlebar Switch Button Head/Turn Signal Horn Light ON-OFF
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-8-Motorcy...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2Pcs CREE U7 Angel Eyes Light 125W Motorcycle Headlight LED Fog Spotlight+Switch
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-CREE-U...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pair 7/8" 22mm Electric Handlebar Hand Heated Molded Grips Ends ATV Warmers Hot
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-7-8-22...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pop Battery Tender SAE DC Power Automotive Connector Cable Y Splitter CordeCj
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pop-Battery...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Motorcycle Usa Flag Pole Universal Bike Luggage American Rack Mount
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bicycle Bottle Cage Handlebar Rack Cycling Water Bottle Holder Lightweight BNL
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bicycle-Bot...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
6 Posts
Calculating excess electrical capacity

CALCULATING EXCESS ELECTRICAL CAPACITY
Written by John Swiatek
Ref: Calculating Excess Electrical Capacity - Learning Center - Powerlet Products

So exactly how many "gee-whiz" pieces of electronics will your bike power? Well that depends on a few variables. Basically, your bikes excess electrical capacity is the alternators charging output minus the common operating load. Usually these numbers are shown in "watts".

A "watt" is a unit of measure for electrical power (P). In this case, the charging power is the product of the bikes voltage (V) and peak current (I). So P = V * I. What this mean? Simple... if the bikes alternator has a peak rating of 20 amps @ 14 volts then the peak charging output is (20 * 14) or 280 watts.

A motorcycles electrical system consists of three major parts, the alternator, the regulator-rectifier and the battery. The alternator is responsible for producing the power to keep the battery charged and power all of the electrical loads. The regulator-rectifier converts the alternator output from un-useable AC power to useable 14.4 VDC. The battery is used to both start the bike and buffer the power from the alternator.

To calculate your bikes excess electrical capacity, follow these three steps:

STEP #1 – Look up the "charging output" and type of "fuel delivery" from the manufacturer's specification sheet. Typically smaller displacement bikes will have smaller peak charging output.

Table 1 – Peak Charging Output
Make Model Year Fuel Delivery Peak Charging Output
Buell Blast 2001 Carbureted 297 watts
BMW R1150RT 2003 Fuel injected 700 watts
BMW K1200LT 2003 Fuel injected 840 watts
Ducati 996 2000 Fuel injected 520 watts
Ducati ST2/ST4 2002 Fuel injected 520 watts
Harley Heritage 1998 Carbureted 360 watts
Harley Electra Glide 2002 Fuel injected 585 watts
Honda Shadow 1100 2002 Carbureted 329 watts
Honda ST1300 2003 Fuel Injected 740 watts
Honda Valkyrie 2000 Carbureted 546 watts
Honda GL1800 2003 Fuel Injected 1100 watts
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 2000 Carbureted 377 watts
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 2001 Fuel Injected 588 watts
Kawasaki ZX6R 2001 Carbureted 305 watts
Suzuki Bandit 1200 1999 Carbureted 405 watts
Suzuki V-Strom 2002 Fuel Injection 360 watts
Yamaha FJR1300 2003 Fuel Injected 490 watts
The bikes alternator output will change at various engine RPM’s. Here is an example of how the engine RPM affects alternator output on a Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra-Glide:

380W @ 1000 RPM 578W @ 3000 RPM 598W Peak
STEP #2 – Calculate the common operating load. This is the total of all the electrical devices that are part of the bike and will be in operation during normal riding. Do NOT include items like turning indicators and horns since they are only used occasionally. Exceeding the peak charging output for short periods of time is not a problem. The battery will source the extra power needed. However if the power is needed for a long time, the battery will go dead. For this calculation, do NOT include the aftermarket accessories you will be adding; only include the stock items on the bike.

Table 2 – Common Operating Loads
High Beam 55 watts
Low Beam 55 watts
Number Plate 5 watts
Brake/Tail 21 watts
Instrument Panel 2 watts
Computer 25 watts
Fuel Pump 60 watts
Cooling Fan 60 watts
Electronic Ignition 50 watts
A common operating load for a standard fuel injected bike is about 285 watts.
A common operating load for a standard carbureted bike is about 195 watts.

Some bikes leave the low beam on when the high beam is activated. To conserve power, many bikes automatically turn off the low beam when the high beam is turned on. Many larger bikes have additional lighting and miscellaneous loads like radios make sure you include all of the items that operate continuously while riding. Carbureted bikes require about 85 watts less to operate.

STEP #3 - Subtract the operating load from the charging output; this calculation will approximately predict the excess capacity. Usually the larger displacement bikes will have greater excess capacity, but this is not always true as seen in the following six examples (operating loads are approximate):

Table 3 – Excess Capacity for 2 small, 2 mid, and 2 big bikes
Example Peak Operating Excess Capacity
Buell Blast 297 watts 195 watts 102 watts
Kawasaki ZX6R 305 watts 200 watts 105 watts
Ducati ST2/ST4 520 watts 285 watts 245 watts
Suzuki V-Strom 360 watts 285 watts 75 watts
Honda Valkyrie 546 watts 250 watts 296 watts
Vulcan 1500 FI 588 watts 340 watts 248 watts
What do you plan to operate?

This handy table shows how much power many common appliances draw. Only a few appliances draw high power. These are heated clothing, laptops and auxiliary lighting. Small electronics like cell phones and radar detectors draw very little. You can usually run as many of the smaller items as you wish with little or no worry. To find the total power required for all of the accessories you plan to use, add the power rating (watts) for each device. Ranges are provided based on make and model.

Table 4 – Common Appliances
Appliance Power Usage
Heated Garments 35 – 77 watts
Aux lights 35 – 100 watts (each)
Laptop 40 – 60 watts
Cell Phone 1 – 3 watts
Radar Detector 1 – 3 watts
GPS 2 – 6 watts
Portable Music 1 – 3 watts
What if I don't have enough power?

Sometimes your favorite bike does not have much excess capacity. For example, the data in STEP #3 shows that V-Strom owners may find that powering several pieces of high power heated clothing kills the battery. There are a few things that can be done to conserve a few precious watts:

Replace standard lights with low power LED lighting (where possible).
Add a circuit that automatically turns the low beam off when the high beam is activated.
A dirty fuel filter can cause the fuel pump to use 120 watts, 60 more than normal. A dirty fuel filter is a common cause for a voltage regulator to fail on a fuel-injected bike.
In Conclusion:

Motorcycle manufacturers have been increasing the alternator output in response to the growing number of electrical appliances available. Most bikes can handle a few 40 watt heated garments without any problems.

According to Widder Canada Inc. “Today’s motorcycles of 500cc or larger can usually handle three (heated) garments together without overtaxing the charging system. Three garments would be equivalent to turning on a 100 watt headlight. Most larger bikes would have no problem riding two-up with both rider and passenger each wearing the full set. Another aspect to consider is that the items will not necessarily be on all the time, or if the thermostat is adjusted to less than full capacity, there will be less draw.”

The Gerbing’s web site states: “…the electrical output of the typical motorcycle continued to increase as motorcycle engineers attempted to satisfy the growing demand for electrical accessories. The result is that all but the smallest bikes can now provide the power needed to generate the needed heat.”

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Wanted to add to this a note about connecting driving or fog lights to the turn signals. I know I had mentioned doing this before as one way to avoid the driving lights from washing out seeing the turn signals. But there is a legal issue that prevents doing this in some states. I initially connected my lights to do this but then felt I really needed to be sure so I searched the State Code on vehicle lighting and also sent the question to the State DOT Vehicle Enforcement division. I looked this up for a number of states around the USA and found the law differs from one state to the next. In some states the code specifies that turn signals in front may be any color from white to amber. In other states the code simply doesn't address it. In Iowa the State Code has a section specifically for "flashing lights" and includes turn signals, the strobe on top a school bus, and even the light bar on a patrol cruiser. There is a special section just for blue lights (not allowed anywhere other than on law enforcement vehicles for example) and white lights (also not allowed except for on law enforcement vehicles, school buses, mail vehicles, emergency vehicles as specified elsewhere). In other words no, I cannot have the white driving lights flash with the turn signals in my state and in a few others I found. Don't know how it is handled when a vehicle from a state that does allow a white turn signal travels through Iowa. Maybe it is noted if the vehicle is really from out of state and passed over for it. It is not a primary offense so a vehicle will not be pulled over just for that, but if pulled over for a primary offense then that can be fined as an additional charge.
What do you think of these 40W spots on Amazon Bob?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look to be nice bright lights. But there is no mention about the spread of the beam. Many LED lamps that say "spot" are a 30-40 degree beam. The ones I bought are 10 degree beam which will put a more concentrated beam down the road farther, yet they did light up the ditches fine on down the road on each side but just not right next to me like the other would. A narrower beam allows for lower watts to put as much or more lumens ahead of you. The mounting is fixed on those so you will need a tube to mount them on or if you can fashion a bracket or plate to bolt them to. I am also concerned about the ease of use on those lamps. 3 modes per the photos included on the Amazon page are sequentially toggled as you flip the switch on/off/on. No information about if they always start as solid on high beam or if they remember which mode they were last in. So you may have to be often flipping the switch a few times to get the mode you want. Other than those things they look like good lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts