CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Fiamm disc horn that was rated at 130 dB some weeks ago. Since I ordered on Amazon.com I am well past the evaluation time so cannot return it. Not a biggie though since it was only $12 I figured it wasn't bad for the attempt. I say that cuz after I installed it I find it really doesn't seem THAT much louder than the factory horn, but it is louder. Part of the issue is that I discovered when the factory horn is on it's own circuit/wiring it is louder by itself. The Fiamm horn is a low tone horn and the factory horn is a high tone. While the Fiamm is a little louder, the discord of the two tones does make it very much more noticeable, and that is the goal. I may yet go to a local auto parts store where I recently saw another horn that might be louder. I mounted the Fiamm using the same bolt at the same mounting location as the factory horn. In fact, as the photo shows below, I simply turned the factory horn to the front and have the new horn toward the rear. I pulled the factory wire pair up under the top shelter and connected to a relay there. These wires trigger the relay when the horn button is pressed and power for both horns is directly from the battery through a 15 amp fuse and larger gauge wires so there is no attenuation due to wiring limitation. I ran the dedicated wire pair along the original wire path using the factory clamp/holders. The factory horn circuit is shared with other items on the bike and I wanted to connect it on a dedicated circuit. This works really well. In the second photo I use my orange handy knife to point out the relay (relay is black with a white base). I zip tied it to a tab on the plug stack mounting bracket there to keep it from moving around. In that photo you can also see the grounding bar in the lower left nestled in between the hoses under the top shelter. Yes, that is a standard household electrical grounding bar. That also works really well and I used that same set up on my ST1100 and the Burgman for many years with no issues. No special connectors and just dielectric grease on the contacts. On the right there is a black square block with white lettering on top. That is my Garmin GPS power converter that is connected to the front option plug ACC connectors.
The horns:

The relay and some other parts:

The relay I used has a pin 87 as well as a pin 87A. That pin 87 is powered only when the relay is "on" (only when I press the horn button and the ignition is on) and pin 87A is powered only when the relay is "off" (all other times including when the ignition is turned off). That allowed me to use one inline fuse holder for both the horns and the 12V power socket I put under the seat. The relay isolates the two items. I only plan to use that 12v socket for emergency or to inflate the tires (pump needs 15 amps) and not while underway since I have to remove the seat to use it (planned that way). I use the 12v 10 amp socket that I added in the right saddlebag to charge things while riding. This reduces how much wiring and how many inline fuse holders are finding space under the top shelter and around the battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Went to the local Auto Zone store and ended up buying a Blaster horn (not the Fiamm Freeway Blaster but just the brand Blaster) with a trumpet over the disc. It is rated at 132db and it really does sound LOUD. The Fiamm horn was supposed to be 130db but I decided that the actual sound pressure presented was significantly less and also it sounded as if it was sick, or that there was a defect in the sounding disc inside or something. Just didn't sound right so I replaced it. This new Blaster horn is a solid LOUD blast that is every bit the 132db advertised. I am very happy with this one. I kept the factory horn connected as a back up and, even though it is not nearly as loud, it does provide a little high tone discord sound just sneaking in there with the low tone Blaster. I set the Blaster forward of the factory horn and since the circuit I added for both horns is 15 amps there is plenty of power to drive the sound. One test I did was to just hold the horn button for nearly 30 seconds and it provided continuous LOUD Blaster output during the whole time without wavering. I think I will be heard on the road now for sure. This horn actually compares favourably with my former Stebel Nautilus horn which was rated at 139db (but measured at 4" from output so that's a bit deceptive since most measure either at 1 meter or 2 meters).

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is the electrical diagram I used for installing the new horn and also power the 12v socket under the seat from the same battery connection... I like keeping battery connections to a minimum if possible. I keep this diagram with the electrical diagrams in the Service Manual for reference.

Update: I updated the electrical diagram. The relay "A", factory horn connections and new horn connection and 12v power socket connector, and 15 amp fuse (which for now is directly connected to the battery) for the horns are the same as I have now. The rest of this diagram including 30 amp fuse and all wiring/connections to/from relay "B" are implemented now except for the part of the diagram in the box in the lower right of this image. This is to be implemented sometime in the future when I add driving lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked this question elsewhere on the forum. Is there a plug and play horn that the dealer could install before I pick up my bike?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Bob said in the post above that he installed his FIAMM horn in addition to the OEM horn. "I kept the factory horn connected as a back up...." I'm having the dealer add that horn this week.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I asked this question elsewhere on the forum. Is there a plug and play horn that the dealer could install before I pick up my bike?
Any disc electric horn (almost) would be plug n play. Just be sure of the amps required. I think the factory horn is sharing a 10 amp fuse with one or more other engine electrics. IIRC the factory horn is only around 3 amps (I think). If you replace it with a louder electric horn that is about 5 amps you should be OK. I wanted both horns (factory and new) installed so just to be sure I put them both on new wires powered from the battery and used the factory wires to trigger the relay. I figured I could use a 7 amp fuse but just for extra measure put in a 15 amp for the pair. The other reason for the larger fuse is that I also use these wires for my 15 amp 12v socket added under the seat for emergencies. My mini air pump needs the 15 amps. I did find that putting the factory horn on it's own dedicated wires made it a bit louder... but still not as loud as my new Blaster horn. You can hear both of them as the tones are different and one is louder than the other so more noticeable.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I can not help but to admire some of the depth you guys go to on these modifications. I get the dealer to do most of mine as I am simply not that technical or capable...!!! I did note you stipulated Blaster NOT the Faimm Freeway blaster. I cannot find the Blaster but there are heaps of Fiamm on Ebay. Would this horn be a "plug and play" Fiamm 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn NEW | eBay ....thanks Bob.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Rp007, your link only took me to an eBay index screen and no particular product. The horn I ended up with (with the trumpet attached to the disc) may have been called a "Highway Blaster" but was definitely not from Fiamm. I bought it at Auto Zone and it was one the store in our area normally carries (may be a local stock item). Either horn by itself (i.e.: single horn alone with no other horn connected) will work as plug-n-play to replace the factory horn. Simply unplug the electrical connectors on the OEM horn, remove the bolt on the bottom of the lower triple tree to remove it, bolt on the new horn, plug in the 2 electrical connectors, done.

THIS is the 72112 model Fiamm horn you mention but on Amazon.

-

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Thanks Bob, sorry about the link. Yes, that is the Fiamm model I was looking at on EBay. I checked on Amazon and it said the horn was not compatible to the CTX1300. I think I have found the one you were referring to so I'll order it. Thanks for your help. Cheers Roger.
Blazer BH103FBH Highway Blaster Horn

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Bob, sorry about the link. Yes, that is the Fiamm model I was looking at on EBay. I checked on Amazon and it said the horn was not compatible to the CTX1300. I think I have found the one you were referring to so I'll order it. Thanks for your help. Cheers Roger.
Blazer BH103FBH Highway Blaster Horn
Yes, I think that is the one. Threw away the packaging before noting what it said. Amazon says that for me a lot, but I look closer at how I can make things compatible. It's just because of the trumpet attached that isn't on the stock horn. TIP: just be sure when you mount it to turn the trumpet outlet to the side to avoid it hitting the fender when the forks compress on big bumps. I missed that when first installed and have a slight mark in the center under my horn. I did turn it when I found that and haven't had any issue since.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Excellent, I'll order one. Thanks for the head's-up with the mounting tip.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Always wonder if the guy who picks the horns for the Honda is deaf.
Think a kids bike bulb horn or bell would be better.
Why can they not make one like a truck air horn.
For me it is not the volume but the tone.

beep beep just not noticeable. sound and volume like a double barrel shot gun every time you pushed button would be better :)

·
Premium Member
300 Posts

beep beep just not noticeable. sound and volume like a double barrel shot gun every time you pushed button would be better :)

Very funny, still rolling around laughing:520::520::520:

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Finally back from my OS trip and fitted the Freeway Blaster recommended by Bob. Fitted in 5 minutes without any problem, Oh what a difference. A little anger in the sound now ..... not like the toot the grandkids duck makes in the bath...!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another mounting option for horns. There is a threaded hole on the frame on both sides of the bike near the lower corner of the radiator. It is hard to see and requires a short 10mm x 1.25 allen head type bolt. There is no room for a socket or wrench. Most hardware stores do not carry this bolt. You will have to go to a specialty fastener company. I ordered mine from Fastenal. fastenal.com SKU #11506375

Attachments

Reactions: F16Vet

·
Registered
133 Posts

You want a loud and obnoxious horn that doesn't take up a lot of space? Check out the Little Big Horn at Howard's Horns Home Page, motorcycle air horns, battery cables

Reactions: MochaMic

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just happened to look up the Blazer horn and of all places, Tractor Supply has them online for $10.99 with FREE ship-to-store. If you have a local TSC, it's a hard to beat deal!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just installed a couple of PIAA high and low tones... What a difference. I think they will hear me now.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Cool, that is a better mounting position to save damage to the front fender.......happy tooting......

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I think this was about the most recent page talking about horn upgrades so I thought I would add a quick two cents. I wanted to upgrade the horns about 12 seconds after someone didn't see me and pulled right out in front of me. Fortunately for me there was enough space to slow down and not run into the guy. That happened twice on the first day I had the bike. Not a good sign I thought, so immediately I started thinking about what to do to increase my chances of being seen and heard. Im about half way thru that project, having done the tail light and added more lights in the back. As for the front, I just got menosabe highway pegs and I've ordered some lights off ebay. As for the sound I wanted to install dual horns as I know for them to sound the best you will want a high AND low tone together. I ordered the FIAMM Freeway Blaster high and low note horns from amazon. About thirty bucks for both. I ran dedicated new 12 gauge to each horn from my fancy new fuse box with a relay and inline fuse on each horn. I also ran dedicated 12 gauge ground on each horn. Wire this large and power coming directly from battery should give me all I need for clean power. I used the original horn wire for my turn on switch. They fit up where the original horn was with no trouble but you do need to be careful in checking that all will be ok when the wheel is going lock to lock. (Another time that center stand is so very handy!). Didn't finish until after my wife was in bed so I thought better of testing in garage while she slept in bedroom that is partially over the garage. I took a short ride out of neighborhood to test the new toy and even though I obviously knew when I was going to push the button, the loudness of these two horns startled me. really! Then I found myself having an evil little laugh all to myself in my own little helmet. Next time someone pulls out in front of me at least I should be able to let them know to please pay better attention next time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DINKPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKKOK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts