CTX 1300 Forum banner

New in Cycle World - CTX1300 vs MG California

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  CTXMaybe 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting article, certainly agree with the stiff suspension comments on the CTX. Still I love my CTX have never even looked at M. G. no dealer support. Good read thanks Ed

#4 ·
Nice review... I especially like that now it seems journalists are stopping the the ST1300 engine detuned thing and now it's a REtuned engine. I think they're all starting to like it. :)

Oh, I did almost buy a MG California just before I did buy the ST1100. Took too long to decide if I liked the after market bags or not. The MG sold before I decided. Really liked that longitudinal V-whatever engine. V-4 is better though. I also agree about the part of the review that it is hard to tell that the CTX is running except for those lovely sounds coming from the engine and pipes. :D

#5 ·
Nice review... I especially like that now it seems journalists are stopping the the ST1300 engine detuned thing and now it's a REtuned engine. I think they're all starting to like it. :)
Yeah, but they said the CTX's V-4 is lacking in character. It's a V-4 -- that's all the &$@?!%#+ character it needs!!

Seriously, I know exactly what they mean, and I've said it myself -- it doesn't have a big V-twin punch. But after putting several hundred miles on, I really don't miss it.

#6 ·
I have a MG dealer within walking distance of home. In USA the CTX / 14 Cali tour appear around a grand apart in price. The Guzzi is a great bike but prices itself out of the market in Aus. The distributors are just too greedy. Same reason I won't be buying a new HD again after nine of them over 20 years. Honda has priced the deluxe at $20K on road, a streetglide is $33K and the calif tourer is $28K...go figure that one out. The honda is looking better each day.

#8 ·
I read that same article Ed a week ago and agree with everything the magazine said about both machines.But,as the editor commented,I too have to give the nod to the Guzzi basically,cause I'm old school and the Guzzi has floor boards verses pegs and better protection due to the factory wind screen,which I think Honda missed the boat on cause they put that small POS screen on from the factory,and then, made the taller screen an option.Other then those two items,and IMO,both machines are excellent choices for anyone looking for a nice touring machine.The problem I had with the Guzzi is,after road testing three of em,all three ran funky,and the same stealer told me that's the way they run,but after doing more research,I discovered that the particular stealer I went to,didn't know what he was talkin about.What else is new! lol They don't ALL RUN like that.This guy just pulled the machines out of the box,put air in the tires,gas and oil in the motor,and sent you on your way.Well that's NOT how ya sell motorcycles,or anything for that matter.I looked on line and listened to the motors run and the guy riding it just like you were the rider,and it ran and sounded totally different from the ones I drove.And also as the magazine stated,dealers are far and few between which makes it even harder to find a good dealer.So until I drive one that runs like it's supposed to,I won't touch one.But had the Guzzi run like it was supposed to,I would have bought it on the spot.Their loss as I was thoroughly frustrated.DUH!!! Hence the reason I'm still drivin my Tbird.There is another dealer in Ma.,but he's over 100 miles away from me and I haven't had the chance to get down there YET.lol But I will!! Dave!!!

#11 ·
The problem I had with the Guzzi is,after road testing three of em,all three ran funky,and the same stealer told me that's the way they run,but after doing more research,I discovered that the particular stealer I went to,didn't know what he was talkin about.What else is new! lol They don't ALL RUN like that.This guy just pulled the machines out of the box,put air in the tires,gas and oil in the motor,and sent you on your way.Well that's NOT how ya sell motorcycles" frustrated.DUH!!! Hence the reason I'm still drivin my Tbird.There is another dealer in Ma.,but he's over 100 miles away from me and I haven't had the chance to get down there YET.lol But I will!! Dave!!!
Ok, ya got me, how do you sell motorcycles then? Dealers don't fine tune the engines on brand new factory bikes, they come fine-tuned from the factory according to specs. Dealers unpack and assemble them. If THREE of those MG's ran the same.. than I'm willing to bet that's how they are supposed to run! :)

#10 ·
Keep in mind that a lot of journalist reviewers are sport or sport touring riders who really push a bike hard through twisties. They're used to leaning over... a lot. They tend to try and ride this bike as a s-t type bike so they will scrape the pegs. This bike still has a lot more clearance than a Wing and almost all cruisers, but cannot compete equally with a true s-t bike. Of course, I do know some GW riders who can ride way better than many s-t riders and can blow them away in the curves. At that point it's the skill of the rider more than the capability of the bike.

Reactions: V0X
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.