CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Perth, Western Australia.

Been looking at a new touring bike for a while and had it down to approx. 4, MG Cali Tourer, Honda CTX1300, V-Strom 1000 and a BMW R1200R.
My son and I went for a look the other morning and there was a CTX1300 in the showroom and I am impressed. Didn't ride it as I'm not ready to buy, yet.
Intention is to get a trailer on-board and do the big lap of Australia for 12 months when I retire in 12 months. The bride is keen so that's good.
Last rode 6 years ago although until then there was always a bike in the garage that was used everyday for commuting and other duties, rain, hail or shine.
First bike was a Yamaha 90 in the late 60's, the first one with Posi-Lube if I remember correctly. Then followed a stream of Hondas and Kawasakis.

Have contacted DMC Sidecars and Classic Industries but no one is doing a hitch yet. Will be watching that area with interest as it is a deal breaker really.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hello Down Under,
Welcome aboard. I've been watching Mark Victor (Biker Bits) videos about riding down under. Seems all your choices would do the trick. I've been around the globe in the northern hemisphere, but never the southern. I tour the lower 48 in the states often which I think would be similar to your big lap. It is awesome. I don't think I'm qualified to give any advise on your choice, but I do look forward to your report on which you choose and why you chose it. I'm not familiar with the MG Cali, but the last three I'm pretty sure would all make you happy, albeit in different ways.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome to this place @two_up_tourers!
I've pulled a pop up camper with two of the last 3 bikes I've owned before this one. Have been debating if I want to put the hitch on this one though since I only ride and camp solo. I also have been watching the usual places for hitches but so far the best one I've found is made by a member right here on this board. Check out his offering HERE. Browse through the thread to see additional photos besides the ones in the first post. Contact him. He offers a good plan set that you can take to a metal fabricator to have the hitch made. I have the plans but haven't taken them in to see what the local fabricator will charge me to make the hitch. Too cold here since we are still in winter in the north. I do ride in all temps as long as the roadway is clear and dry but during this time of year I'm not in any hurry to think of camping :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts