CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is Gil.I just recently purchased a new ctx1300 deluxe in black. So far so good. I like the bike. It rides well,has excellent grip, and in my opinion has plenty of speed and torque in any gear,but wish it had a 6th gear for the highway.As part of a promotion from honda i am getting $1000 in FREE accessories for the bike. The first one that i ordered was the heated grips. I was going to buy some kuriyaken grips for the bike and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to which size ones will fit and whether putting on these aftermarket grips will make the heated grips inoperable after i install them.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome aboard!

One of our members just installed Kuryakyn grips, and he started a thread about it here. He can answer any questions you may have. But what your going to want are 7/8" Honda grips -- they're designed so that the throttle side fits over a throttle sleeve that does not get replaced, unlike the HD type where the grip and sleeve are one piece.

If you go with Kury grips, they will replace whatever grips you have, including the heated grips. Unfortunately it's either-or -- Honda stock grips, Honda heated grips, or some after-market option.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmmm.....I see people having to get heated grips and centre stands as accessories but mine came with those......in Canada.....I did put on the tall windshield and trunk......

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Options, model offerings, and even colors vary from market to market. In Asia and I think Europe, you can get this bike in black or white. Here in the US it's black, red and blue/gray, but no white. Not sure why the options vary so much, but hey, I'm not getting paid the big bucks to do their market research. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
446 Posts
Europe, Asia and Australia get only the Deluxe model, but with gray metal parts (no black rims). US gets Standard and Deluxe.

EU Deluxe model has ABS, TCS, Audio, Self-Cancelling indicators, Heated Grips and Center Stand as stock. IIUC, Canadian model comes with the Heated Grips as stock too.

US gets red, blue and black, Europe and Asia (unsure about Australia) gets white, red and black.

Europe gets HISS, US doesn't. No details whatsoever about HISS in official docs (as if it were some state secret, retards!), save from a passing mention in the parts list ("receiver antenna stay") for the metal bracket under the ring antenna around the ignition lock.

The missing blue backrest in the US is most likely a documentation blunder (especially since the topcase IS available in blue); I would walk up the dealer chain and take it all the way to Honda if need be.

Reactions: HansenCTX

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
From this thread that was started before accessories were 'officially' documented:

Backrest w/Pad (Black) / 08R71-MJN-D00ZA or (Red)08R71-MJN-D00ZC or (Blue)08R71-MJN-D00ZB / (TBD) / $TBD / ETA-July / *mount on rear Carrier & w/o trunk

Try giving part number 08R71-MJN-D00ZB to your dealer and see what kinds of faces they make.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, Gil! Keep us updated with your grips situation; the more we know the farther we can go! :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Europe, Asia and Australia get only the Deluxe model, but with gray metal parts (no black rims). US gets Standard and Deluxe.

EU Deluxe model has ABS, TCS, Audio, Self-Cancelling indicators, Heated Grips and Center Stand as stock. IIUC, Canadian model comes with the Heated Grips as stock too.

US gets red, blue and black, Europe and Asia (unsure about Australia) gets white, red and black.

Europe gets HISS, US doesn't. No details whatsoever about HISS in official docs (as if it were some state secret, retards!), save from a passing mention in the parts list ("receiver antenna stay") for the metal bracket under the ring antenna around the ignition lock.

The missing blue backrest in the US is most likely a documentation blunder (especially since the topcase IS available in blue); I would walk up the dealer chain and take it all the way to Honda if need be.

I am no expert and I do not claim to know the 'why' to my questions but I am curious: Why did Honda decide to offer the CTX1300 in so many variations only to limit their availability within specific geographical locations? I feel I can assume why the CTX offered in Canada has heated grips (it can get cold up there) but if I lived in Minnesota or up-state NY I might want that option also. I am not complaining however, I am just curious to why there seems to be so many options but they are limited. I would love to have the center-stand here in North Carolina. The only way to get one is to get it after I buy the bike. No worries, I bought it and it will arrive to my local dealer this Friday. Maybe it (Honda's choices for accessory availability) all comes down to economics. The bike would cost a great deal more if all these accessories were pre-installed. If a person wants something on their bike they can choose to buy it and install it.

Okay, I am done. Just thinking 'out loud' so to speak.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mainly because the people drawing up the price and splitting the world in territories are not bikers. Just like people who found the CSS to be an awesome idea for DVDs were neither actors, nor movie-goers.

It's all about their deformed perception of what scheme would bring in the most revenue. You know, stupid reverse-psychology things like "the US people are very accustomed to 99 prices, so we'll price it at 17999" or like "the EU people want instant-gratification, so we'll only give them the full-option version".

It would be, of course, a lot more efficient for both Honda manufacturing AND revenue stream to just ship the same bare-bones model, in the same colours to the entire world accompanied by the same (be it large or small) set of accessories. Remember "the IKEA effect"? That's what I'm talking about and, unfortunately for the comparison, H-D appears to have got that just right.

Then every rider could show up at a dealer's, pick a colour, pick accessories, negotiate a deal and have the bike ready in at most 2 weeks (probably much sooner in large metro areas such as big cities in the US) -- you know, like the car industry does.

Reactions: HansenCTX

·
Registered
83 Posts
The US, Canadian, and European markets are somewhat different, and always have been. In the US center stands almost always seem to be an option, and I rarely see motorcycles on center stands even when they do have them. I have one on my NH750, and love it, and would never get a bike without one, but every area is different.

The US is a VERY cruiser dominated market, while in Europe and the UK you'll be hard pressed to find many cruisers. The F6B goldwing is offered there, and ONLY has ABS and CBS brakes. The ABS is not even an option in the USA. They also only offer the GL1800 Deluxe.

Heated grips standard in Canada does make sense. But in the end it does make things more expensive and confusing for those who want more of "utility" motorcycle as opposed to a "recreational" one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts