CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truth be told, I haven't even picked it up yet. I'm trying to make plans to get to Napa and pick it up. I'll fly North (either San Fran, Oakland or Sacto airports) and ride it home to Mission Viejo. It's tough buying a bike and not even getting to sit on it a single time. I'm anxious to see what it has and what I need such as backrest, heated grips, cruise control, etc. Mine is a '14 standard, blue.

My name is Anthony, been riding forever. I also currently own a 2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic, 1982 Honda GL500 customized, 2014 KLX250, Yamaha Vino 50 and a Honda Metropolitan 50.

Nice to be here!

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum @LaGrasta
My wife still rides her Metropolitan that we bought back in 2004. I don't keep more than one bike for myself and one for my wife. No room to park them since my wife insists on using the garage for the cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Truth be told, I haven't even picked it up yet. I'm trying to make plans to get to Napa and pick it up. I'll fly North (either San Fran, Oakland or Sacto airports) and ride it home to Mission Viejo. It's tough buying a bike and not even getting to sit on it a single time. I'm anxious to see what it has and what I need such as backrest, heated grips, cruise control, etc. Mine is a '14 standard, blue.

My name is Anthony, been riding forever. I also currently own a 2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic, 1982 Honda GL500 customized, 2014 KLX250, Yamaha Vino 50 and a Honda Metropolitan 50.

Nice to be here!
Welcome from Canada 🇨🇦 and congrats on your purchase! Hope you like it. The CTX has the same engine configuration as your Guzzi, just a couple more cylinders!
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly Bruce!
After owning a Sportster, I learned my favorite power plant is a V. I now have the air-cooled twin MG, water-cooled twin GL and now a water cooled quad CTX!

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
Welcome to the CTX 1300 world. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. Enjoy and keep us informed on what you think of the CTX and how your ride home goes.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did almost the same about two months ago .. got my blue one sight unseen and had never thrown a leg over one before. But for all I'd read and compared, it was an obvious choice for a two-up. Took me about two seconds to get comfortable despite the weight .. love that low center of gravity.
Enjoy yours soon, cheers!

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I flew to SFO, Ubered to Napa and rode home 450 miles, 95 degree weather, super windy and 7.5 hours. All in all though, it was an adventure and fun. Although not again, too many miles in a day, my left arm was numb.

My gripe:
Being the Standard, not the Deluxe though, so many missing items were a surprise. No phone charger, no cruise, no heated handgrips, even the LCD screen has hardly any information that is helpful. Not to mention it's so small I can't read it without eyeglasses. Considering the target market, I'm surprised they didn't make it better lit and larger. At low speed the bike makes such a whine. At first I thought it was the windscreen, but it's the engine. At speed, it's quiet and has great roll-on, I loved overtaking cars. The throttle has a very abrupt bite. I've been riding for 40 years and still struggled to roll-on smooth.

My deal breaker: The front suspension is so bad, it's dangerous. I read your post and knew of this, but never could I have imagined it was this bad. I cannot believe it was sold to the public like this. I cannot believe there wasn't a recall. If I hit any sizable bump in the rode, I thought I was going to crash, the clank alone startled me enough to crash. There is no way to own this bike without repairing the forks. Is it just a matter of Race-Tech springs being added?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I flew to SFO, Ubered to Napa and rode home 450 miles, 95 degree weather, super windy and 7.5 hours. All in all though, it was an adventure and fun. Although not again, too many miles in a day, my left arm was numb.

My gripe:
Being the Standard, not the Deluxe though, so many missing items were a surprise. No phone charger, no cruise, no heated handgrips, even the LCD screen has hardly any information that is helpful. Not to mention it's so small I can't read it without eyeglasses. Considering the target market, I'm surprised they didn't make it better lit and larger. At low speed the bike makes such a whine. At first I thought it was the windscreen, but it's the engine. At speed, it's quiet and has great roll-on, I loved overtaking cars. The throttle has a very abrupt bite. I've been riding for 40 years and still struggled to roll-on smooth.

My deal breaker: The front suspension is so bad, it's dangerous. I read your post and knew of this, but never could I have imagined it was this bad. I cannot believe it was sold to the public like this. I cannot believe there wasn't a recall. If I hit any sizable bump in the rode, I thought I was going to crash, the clank alone startled me enough to crash. There is no way to own this bike without repairing the forks. Is it just a matter of Race-Tech springs being added?
The Deluxe models were not offered with cruise control either. As far as the front suspension is concerned, I don’t find it that bad, but a number of forum members have replaced the springs and find this a viable solution.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's surprising, for a bike that was built to go a distance, and cost a respectable amount, we'd expect it would have all the items needed for such trips.

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
I've said it before in this forum...
That engine whine is sometimes called a Singer Sewing Machine sound or Jetson space car sound and has become rather beloved by many in the ST1300 community being as unique as it is. Same engine, same sound since 2002.
I am also one who didn't find much fault with the suspension. Sure it was a little harsh at first but softened up by 8000 miles, or maybe I just became accustomed to it. My '98 ST1100 that I sold just before buying my CTX was not much better if better at all and that was a sport touring bike built for distance. I did travel up to 660 miles in a day and never felt uncomfortable nor in peril through several states. But I also know from others here on the forum that there does seem to be quite a bit of variance in the ride from one bike to another. Some were OK and some were not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts