CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10,000 miles and need tires.Original Dunlaps not available.Installed metzler ME 880's.200 rear only available in a 200 55 17. Front ok as a 130. I was shocked at the ride difference.Tires changed bike from a Honda into a MOTORCYCLE. Handling improvement over those stupid Dunlaps was outstanding.I love the twisties here in the central Sierras and although it doesn't handle like sport bike it gets the job done very well.Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup Yup! I got the same and had same experience. You can even read about it on some of my earlier posts. Those 880's are the only aftermarket tires I can even find. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I did the same, but bought the Michelin Commander II's. As soon as they were changed, I came home, packed and went on a 3600 mile trip.
Yes, much better. The MPH is showing 60 when actual is a little over 62 and the MPG is about right. Mileage is about 1.05 more than the ODO is showing.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
So... I your honest opinion do you think the Michelin Commander II are the way to go as for new tires? I just wish they made the 200/50-17 though. How's the ride with the commander II's?

I did the same, but bought the Michelin Commander II's. As soon as they were changed, I came home, packed and went on a 3600 mile trip.
Yes, much better. The MPH is showing 60 when actual is a little over 62 and the MPG is about right. Mileage is about 1.05 more than the ODO is showing.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ride is good. Better than OEM. The one thing I'm not sure of is the rain riding. One other person told me they didn't handle well in rain. During my trip, I hit rain 3 times and they were ok. But, all three times were either freeway or highway, so no real test. I will probably try the 880 next unless someone else does a comparison first. Do I recommend the CII, yes. Are they better than 880s, I don't know (yet). Am I happy with them, yes. I ride 2 miles on a tar/gravel road each time I leave the house, so I have a relatively rough road for initial comparison.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@willajabir, you mention in your photo thread that you're liking the stock front and the CII rears best so far. What was your stock brand? (missed it if you mentioned earlier). Also, how does the wear seem to be on the CII rear tire so far compared with stock?

I'd like to stay radials both ends if possible. Only my front is getting close to needing replaced soon. So far I am satisfied with the front but possible to be better maybe. The wear on the rear is real good but wet performance sometimes isn't the most confidence inspiring. Of course, some of that may be due to the same curves I noticed the same performance issues on my ST1100.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@bob, I don't remember what the OEM tires were(seems they were the Dunlops, but I'm sure). I should have clarified more in that post. Even though I like the RIDE better of the OEM front tire, I would not buy it again because it wore out too fast.
Can't have a bike that has to go to the shop after every trip.
There has got to be a tire that rides good and wears good. This is the first bike I've ever had (28 I think) that the front didn't last at minimum 1.5 times(Most of mine have been 2 rears for one front) as long as the rear.
Even though I've not worn these CII's out yet, I'm already shopping. I waiting for some feed back on the Metz 880 tires.
Also, I wondering if the front end could be the reason rather than the tire. I ask because I have seen many other Honda models where riders replace the bearings with the AllBalls kit and had nothing but praise.
There was a thread about this earlier, but I don't remember anyone actually doing it and posing results.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Over 10 minutes and can't edit my post. I was wondering about going to a 140/75R17???? Fatter, bit taller, still radial with long life CII?
I figure by the time I get my new seat, I'm gonna burn these tires more and need replacement quicker:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Still looking at different tires. Got the Metz on my list. Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire? They are radial and come in the right size if you can find someone with them in stock.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I just had the Bridgestone Exedra Max tires installed a couple of weeks ago. My dealer was able to get them very quickly once I figured out the exact ones I needed. They seem fine so far, though I haven't had much chance to test them out. The trip to Spring Green this weekend should be a good test. Will let you know.

Reactions: willajabir and bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every time I look at that big Fat back tire on the back of my just over a month old CTX1300, I think of my husband who sported his car tires on his old Valkyrie. (The dark side as you fellows call it.) And I know he is looking at that big Fat tire of mine thinking - 'Car tire'.
He would not push me into that choice, but I am sure he is thinking it. He says they handle well in the corners, and I have observed that they do. It just seems a little weird.
Any one here had experience with - 'the dark side' ?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yep(darkside), on VTX, VT, Burgman scooter, and Suzuki C50. Better grip, better handling if you are on pea gravel/sand/etc, long life, better in rain, and the side benefit of cheaper.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Just looking at your signature Steve. Boy you keep bikes for a while! :)
Well, yeah, I had the Gold Wing for 18 years. It was an incredibly reliable bike and I saw no reason to buy a new one. My partner had an '85 Limited Edition Gold Wing, which was WAY advanced for its time, with cruise control and an incredibly sophisticated computer that could calculate remaining driving time based on your speed and the amount of fuel in the tank, etc. Unfortunately that system started to fail, and it would have been $5000 to fix the bike. Since the LE was just sitting in the garage and I really didn't like riding alone, we sold them both in 2005. Frankly, we practically gave them away. But we had a new SUV on order and needed the space in the garage, so...

I really missed having a bike, and only after it was gone did I realize what a big part of me it was. So in 2011 I happened to be driving by a Honda dealer in Wisconsin and saw on their web site that they had a 2006 Shadow Sabre 1100 with just one mile on it. It was practically an impulse purchase, and I got it for $6000 (about a third off list) because it was an older model.

I loved the looks of the Shadow but it was just never comfortable for more than 30 minutes or so. I could never do longer trips on it. So when I saw the CTX 1300 at the bike show...well, it was another impulse purchase. A week later I called the dealer and ordered the first one they sold. Quite a leap of faith--the bike was so new that there were no reviews, and the dealer had never seen one. But once I replaced the shorty windshield I never regretted my purchase.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Just crossed the 9500 mile mark and I need new tread... badly. Just curious if anyone can provide mileage updates on the Excedra max and Avon ST tires. Or any other combinations that give extra life? I know there are lots of 'factors' in mileage but I think you can get a general sense from a larger group. Please chime in. Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Avon tires

Just crossed the 9500 mile mark and I need new tread... badly. Just curious if anyone can provide mileage updates on the Excedra max and Avon ST tires. Or any other combinations that give extra life? I know there are lots of 'factors' in mileage but I think you can get a general sense from a larger group. Please chime in. Thanks!
Can't be of much help with the mileage on the Avon ST but have only about 1500 on mine , have the Cobra up front, but the ride and grip are second to none . I am very happy with my choice and would do it again .

:smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034:

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just a reminder to you on the thread I posted about my tires and mileage including the Exedra Max.
No final result on my Avon Storm rear tire nor my Cobra front yet but miles is looking good at this point. Better than any of my previous choices. The best tires I had on this bike for long miles wear are the OEM Dunlops, but I really didn't like the performance of those. The tires I now have look like they may possibly last at least the same. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Just a reminder to you on the thread I posted about my tires and mileage including the Exedra Max.
No final result on my Avon Storm rear tire nor my Cobra front yet but miles is looking good at this point. Better than any of my previous choices. The best tires I had on this bike for long miles wear are the OEM Dunlops, but I really didn't like the performance of those. The tires I now have look like they may possibly last at least the same. We'll see.
I have the same set up Bob and have 17,000 kilometres and I reckon another 5-6000 to go ... :smiley-happy0034:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts