CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum, but not to CTX1300. Have had mine since last August. Traded in a Suzuki M109R because it kept having transmission and tire problems. Can't say I particularly like the CTX sound, but do enjoy the smoother ride and more positive control. Joined the forum to see what others were doing with their bikes. I find the lack of accessories and options disappointing. Hoping to see more in the future. Has anyone found a way to mount a better (louder) horn than the Honda road runner? I'd also rather have thicker handlebars, or at least grips. Had a badboy horn and Kuryakan grips on my M109.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from another newbie. Joined yesterday so I hope I'm not being presumptuous in offering you welcome. And since I have only had my bike for 2 days I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure others may be of help.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome @Treadhead66,
I like the sound, but I am an ex winger too. I mounted (plug/play) the freeway blaster horn from the local advanced auto. The badboy will require the relay, which it sounds like you already know. I have one, but couldn't decide where to mount it.
Kury grips for the 7/8 bar will fit. The bars are strange. 1 1/8 @ front, taper down to 1 where the switches mount and 7/8 where the grips mount. I think I got that all right from memory.
Thread relating to them: http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/appearance-body/3569-handlebar-diameter.html
The M109 is usually a good bike. Sorry to hear you had trouble.
I remember when I bought my first wing in '88, no accessories. Then too many and the usual over doing it, hahahahaha. There are windscreen options, honda/givi racks (rumor that wompus is working on one), and a member here making running/fog lights (@menosabe).
As @revdan said, others will jump in with more knowledge/experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Treadhead66, and congrats on the relatively new bike.
The sound is very different from the usual HD or imitation cruiser makes. It retains much of the same whine from the ST1300 (what some owners of that bike call a sewing machine sound) bit adds more growl than that other bike from where the engine comes IMO.
I also find the Honda stock horns a bit weak. Same with other makes of bikes as well. My last 4 bikes, including this one, were updated. Usually I put air horns on but this bike doesn't really allow for those to be hidden anywhere behind the plastic (where I would prefer) so I added a 132db Highway Blaster (not the Fiamm brand) from my local AutoZone. Similar to willajabir did. Only I added the relay and dedicated wiring anyway. Seems the factory horn is also louder when not sharing wiring with other systems on the bike as it is from the factory. See my thread on it HERE for photos and a rough diagram what I did. Was really easy. I mounted both the factory and the Blaster horns at the OEM location per the photos. Check out the other forums in the Tech Section for lots of information on things. There are a few horn threads also along with all the other things you could want to find. If it's not there it will be eventually or add information in a new thread as you discover whatever. :D

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Too many accessories

(snip) I remember when I bought my first wing in '88, no accessories. Then too many and the usual over doing it, hahahahaha. There are windscreen options, honda/givi racks (rumor that wompus is working on one), and a member here making running/fog lights (@menosabe).
As @revdan said, others will jump in with more knowledge/experience.
I remember someone remarking about a particularly overloaded Goldwing, "It looks like he magnetized it and rode it through an accessory factory." :rotfl9:

Reactions: willajabir
1 - 5 of 5 Posts