CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jack. Live near Edmonton Alberta, Canada, Real cold today. Have a 2014 CTX1300 delux. Only had 3000 Km when i bought it. Great bike except for front forks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Love my CTX except for the front forks. If I wanted to change fork oil please tell me if this is the right way to do it.

But bike on center stand.
Remove front wheel
remove forks from bike
Remove fork caps
Turn forks upside down to drain old oil.

Pump forks so all oil of drained
refill with correct amount of oil.
This is simplified so please add pointers to assist me.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,394 Posts
Welcome @Eatclean1
Can't answer about the forks as I didn't do anything to mine so have no experience with that. Someone will post in here with an opinion for you. My front forks "relaxed" a great deal some time around 8000 miles (near 12,900 Km). It ended up so much better by then I didn't feel the need to do anything. Ended up the same as my former ST1100.

BTW- If your bike is a Canadian bike (not brought across the border) then there is ONLY the Deluxe available with heated grips added to boot. Only in the USA are there 2 models but everywhere else there is only one model with that extra feature.

Post a photo of your ride sometime. What color did you get?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Jack, congrats on your CTX purchase. Fork 0il change is more complicated than you anticipate. Damper rod is threaded into fork cap and there is a plastic spacer between the cap and the spring. Lots of pressure on that assy. Unless you have or can fabricate the special tools, you cant do it. There is a utube video on how to do the job on inverted forks using a ratchet strap and several other improvised parts, but its not easy. Theres a chance you could bend the damper rods.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Welcome Eatclean1. I had the oil replaced in my front forks but it was done at a local dealer. The procedure you stated appears to be what I watched them do but I would check a service manual to make sure. Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,394 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a deluxe and found the ride very harsh on the front end. Removed the bar ends and internal weights from the bars and it makes it ride-able and a big improvement. Worth a try before you spend money on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I felt the same way, and my dealer shop Forman told me he didn’t think I would feel much differences going to thinner fork oil. My CTX calmed down to, around 8,000 miles. I have a little over 10,000 miles on it and the front fork is now less harsh. Could be I’ve gotten used to it, but I think it tames down with miles. Welcome to the V4 gang. You will love those heated grips. I use mine a lot on cool mornings or during riding in the rain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try to let the bike wear in more. Hopefully it will improve with age. Like the owner maybe smarter as I age. Next summer I'll also try removing bar end weights. Can i move them without damage so I can reinstall them if I don't see an improvement? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try to let the bike wear in more. Hopefully it will improve with age. Like the owner maybe smarter as I age. Next summer I'll also try removing bar end weights. Can i move them without damage so I can reinstall them if I don't see an improvement? Thanks

Easy to remove the bar ends, the internal is not difficult either. and reinstall. Replaced with $30 plastics bar ends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Forum Member 'HappyTrails' had his front suspension rebuilt by an aftermarket motorcycle suspension company. I forgot the name, but he told me it changed the bike, in a good way. It was an expensive job but worth every penny.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jack
Hope you are surviving that extreme cold out there.
I installed the Rox Anti Vibration riser and it nearly eliminated the harshness from the Front shock.
There is a lot of adjustment with the Rox Riser.
Im 5'-7", I needed the bars to come back towards mess that I could ride more upright.
No issues with the cable lengths.
I installed the Kaoko Throttle lock system which has helped eliminate the touchy throttle.
Cheers from Niagara on the Lake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts