CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't ridden in almost 30 years. Saw a CTX1300 in a magazine and was impressed with it. Went to dealership and got a good deal on a deluxe. Recently was told it was detuned. I noticed there's not a whole lot of power. What can I do?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
What kinds of bikes did you ride in the past?

If you run the rpm where it is designed to run (between 2000 and 4000 rpm) it actually has more power than the ST1300 from where the engine was taken. If you like to run high rpm then it may seem a bit underpowered I guess. I never see over 4000 rpm unless on the interstate in SD where the speed limit is 80, and even then it has gobs of power to pass in reserve until up over 90mph where it just starts to fade. Yes, this version of the engine is REtuned from the ST and the result is much higher torque and hp below 5000 rpm than the ST (the intended result), but lower peak torque and hp than the ST at over that rpm. The ST is designed to run higher rpm, but this bike is not designed to be a sport side of sport touring so much as touring and cruising so the rpm is intended to stay lower. In fact I never get over 3500 rpm, and usually only see just below 3000, until 5th gear. And even then only see near 3500 rpm with the speeds allowed around here. This bike has more than enough power for me. As much or more than my old GL1500 and even more than my old ST1100! No, it doesn't have the neck jerking torque that a V-twin may have off the line but I'd challenge any v-twin to keep up after that first 1/10 mile. I'm sure there are one or two, but even they would have a hard time pulling away very much if at all. :D

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Plenty enough power to get in plenty enough trouble on public roads.

If you insist on more, read posts on this forum about tuners. I've read that you can spend a lot of money and time modifying a modern engine and get little for your trouble, at least according to conventional magazines I read, including a recent issue of Motorcyclist (I think).

In any case, I sure wouldn't jerk with it until the warranty expires.

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Guys, he is looking at the spec sheet. He didn't ride it. If he rode it, he'd prolly say the same as the majority here.
He hasn't ridden in 30 years, so almost anything he rides is going to have more power than whatever he was riding before.

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
229 Posts
In Germany recently my colleague on his BMW K1600 decided to blow the cobwebs from his bike,I was seeing 120 mph on my CTX.
Probably not a true reading but fast enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts