CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I to, am a 65 year old Australian and I have just about talked myself and my wife into buying a CTX 1300.....I currently own a triumph speed triple R and I need another bike that will comfortably take the two of us on extended trips. In the last 6 months I have just about test ridden every type of motorcycle on the market (Naked, tourers, sports) and I have owned 16 bikes in my 40 years of riding... from Harleys, BMW's, Honda, Yamaha's, Triumphs to Ducati.
I am having trouble deciding whether a new CTX 1300 is the way to go, or a second hand Yamaha FJR 1300 or Honda ST1300 will suit our needs.
I have 4 main concerns with the CTX 1300.....poor rear view mirrors, poor peg clearance and early scrapping and uncomfortable rear suspension with 2 up and finally handling (twisty roads)........am I right to be concerned ???

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Nuffy!
As you have read around here the suspension issues are varied depending on the rider. I'm fine with the rear now, even 2 up. As to the other things you mention...
If you are average size/build I think the mirrors are a lot like the ST. At least for me (5'9" 32" inseam) the mirrors are just the same visibility as my old ST1100 was (still had both bikes during the first 1+ month with the CTX). For me it was a matter of making sure the bars and reservoirs are adjusted right and I can see the same as on my ST. As for scraping pegs- well that really depends on how spirited a rider you are. If you tend to ride fast and furious in curves, even 2 up, then you will scrap a bit of peg. In that case maybe the FJR or ST would be a better choice (depending of course on what the Mrs. thinks of the pillion). I am more conservative and rarely if at all scrape a peg. I did once on a corner that I took faster than intended. No issues though. The CTX has more clearance than most realize. It was easier to scrape a peg on my GW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Bob!!
It always pays to ask questions of someone who knows from experience....you have put my mind at rest. I have previously taken a CTX 1300 for a very short test ride (about 2km) and have promised myself and the Dealer that I will take one out for a extended test ride after xmas. Hopefully that should allay any fears I have about the issues I identified. I really want to like the bike and will hopefully feel comfortable (I was nearly 6ft 2"....now probably just a shade over 6ft...age shrinkage) so mirror position may still be an issue....I guess I could always fit after-market bar mirrors.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey @Nuffy,
Welcome and good luck making your decision.
I'm one of the "it's ok" rear suspension guys.
My wife is only 110 though. I'm 5'10" 205lbs.
The mirrors are ok, but I don't like 'em that low.
Same as the Burgman scoot I had. Can see fine, just like the bar mounts better.
The pegs don't drag near as fast as a cruiser or GW, but do faster than the sport bikes.
This bike is supposed to be a cruiser, so it drags less than it's competitors.
My wife will ride this bike, but she would not ride the other 2 choices you list.
Once you decide (even other model) come back and post the choice and the reasons for it for others to consider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Larry,
I reckon that I have now made my decision.....CTX 1300 (red with top box) here I come.
It should set me back about $AUS 19,500 (on Road).
I'll get back in-touch when I do the full test ride and tell you what I think...probably when the Dealer opens after xmas

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also in Australia "Nuffy" Melbourne to be precise. I bought mine about 2 months ago. Red with the rear mount for the top box. Then I got a aftermarket box. I then put on cruise control. I did it myself and after some trial and error it works perfectly. Really (In my opinion) it should be a factory option. I mean really it is a cruiser and there is nothing as comfortable as setting it on cruise and hearing that V4 just purring whilst sitting on 100kph. The engine is so smooth. It is not a sports bike and although it is quite quick, it does reach the red line in the lower gears almost too quickly. I have done 2000 klm. I also have not scrapped a peg and think for normal riding, unless doing some real twists, you would find it pretty hard to do. I also put some cruising pegs and the extended windscreen on mine and also a headlight protector. If you search my earlier posts you will see pictures. I am 57 by the way. From what I read here seams to be a favorite for older riders. I will say. It looks fantastic, and although it appears to be quiet (which I like compared to the noise of the Harleys) it is probably one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. I had a Goldwing GL1800 before this and that was just too difficult to handle in slow city traffic. Eg U turns, parking etc. Hope you enjoy your new bike and Happy Christmas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mimmike,
Your bike sounds like you have it set up as a perfect touring machine....I think I will be forced to do what your have done if and when if buy one.
If I was in any doubt about buying a CTX1300 the above posts have removed that doubt....as a matter of fact I announced to my wife last night that, subject to a longer test ride, I hope that we will be proud owners of a new one in Jan 2015.....she has be pushing for the cheaper second hand option (as wives do), but I haven't had my heart in chasing down a Yamaha FJR 1300 etc knowing that I'd be paying $14000+ for a 6 year old 20,000+km bike....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not telling you what to do Nuffy... Sure you are old enough to make your own decisions :) But well the FJR is well... What can I call it ? Perhaps "Untamed". It is a brute. Revs like all crap. I mean the CTX1300 is going into Red line at 5000 revs. The FJR. I think is 8000 ???

My point is... ?I have ridden lots of bikes. Sure the Goldwing is also so so so smooth, but far too heavy.

Buy a CTX 1300 and you have some $$$ to play with. Put a cruise on it. The touring pegs and it is about as close and comfortable as you can get to a Goldwing, but without the weight and superior handling.

A second hand ST1300 did interest me, but only because of the electric windscreen. Numerous reports say it handles nothing like that 8 inch (200 mm) rear tire on the CTX. Then also the klm of a second hand bike.

Look it is not the best, perhaps a LT Thunderbird, but again a lot more weight... and another $5000, still not cruise and without the electronic "smarts" and reliability of the Honda engine. You see may reports here of continuous valve adjustments etc on BMW, Harley, Triumph etc. Honda's just go. Beat it till it dies some 200000klm later (in fact interestingly a guy is selling a second hand ST1300 on bike sales with 150000 klm... "just run in"). Well for me... 150000 will be a while.. Prefer to do them myself... rather than pre owned.

I got mine for $17600 BTW , including on roads and 12 months Rego, at Peter Stevens in Melbourne. A bit less than you indicate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mimmike ,
I already have a Triumph Speed Triple R as a play thing for riding with the boys so I really on reflection I don't need another high revving bike like the FJR 1300 for my wife and I......so the CTX 1300 I think really hits the spot and by reading all the forum comments I think it sounds like the perfect bike for what I think I need.
I was interested in your comments about Peter Stevens.....they currently have a 600km demo for $17990 (on-road) or a new one for $18500 (on-road) and with top box of $1300 fitted it takes the new price to $19800....I thought that I could beat them down to $19500 for new or $18800 for their demo...........was yours new or a demo and did it come with top box at your price of $17600...?????

·
Registered
283 Posts
fjr and ST are totally different ergos than the CTX. More sport than tour. I ride with a friend who has a Ducati 9??. He loses me when the road twists but then I don't really don't want to keep up with him. I see more trees and lakes than he does.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those who have to get the wife's approval, I noted this police report:

A man noticed his CTX 1300 was missing from his garage, and his wife was no where to be found. He stopped at the police station to file a missing wife report and a stolen motorycle.

The cop asked him questions about his wife.

How tall is your wife? A) Somewhere between 5'2 and 5'6
Color of her eyes? A) Hazel, but sometimes blue, sometimes greenish
What does she look like? A) Average features, nothing special
Facial cues? A) nothing in particular
Weight? A) Average for height
Hair color? A) mostly blonde, sometimes darker in color
Anything else to identify her? A) nothing in particular.

About your CTX, what can you tell us to help identify it?

It is black, with silver wheels, tall windshield, heated grips, and the Bluetooth system. It has a minor scratch on the forward left upper panel, it is 1/2 in long on the horizontal scale, and can be seen at a 40 degree angle with the sun. The tires have 1/4 in depth on the non-crowned side of the road, rear tire has 5,620 miles on it, front only 1,285. The handlebars are angled 12 degrees low from the factory set-up. The front wheel have one small scratch near the brake rotor on the front, the rear has two rock chips, one close to the valve stem, the other on the opposite side 3/4 of the way up in the direction of rotation!

Moral to the story - Go get the CTX...you will love it!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
...I mean the CTX1300 is going into Red line at 5000 revs. The FJR. I think is 8000 ??? ...

Actually the CTX1300 redlines much closer to 7000 rpm. Torque is so flat on it that anything under 5000 rpm is better (more power, torque and HP) than the ST1300 (per actual measured specs). By 5000 rpm you'd be getting close to 95 mph (152km/h). If you like to keep your speed up there, get a Power Commander to boost the torque and HP beyond that engine speed a bit.
It may be geared to take a much more conservative and relaxed way to get there but she'll get there without making you feel like you're riding a wild animal.
I've mentioned many times... I almost never get it up over 4000 rpm.
Even running through the gears I usually keep it very close to 3000 rpm to shift and have no problem keeping ahead of traffic doing that. I just have no desire or need to go that fast. I love the relaxed ride and like to enjoy the scenery on the ride, like @flytrap says.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Actually the CTX1300 redlines much closer to 7000 rpm. Torque is so flat on it that anything under 5000 rpm is better (more power, torque and HP) than the ST1300 (per actual measured specs). By 5000 rpm you'd be getting close to 95 mph (152km/h). If you like to keep your speed up there, get a Power Commander to boost the torque and HP beyond that engine speed a bit.
It may be geared to take a much more conservative and relaxed way to get there but she'll get there without making you feel like you're riding a wild animal.
I've mentioned many times... I almost never get it up over 4000 rpm.
Even running through the gears I usually keep it very close to 3000 rpm to shift and have no problem keeping ahead of traffic doing that. I just have no desire or need to go that fast. I love the relaxed ride and like to enjoy the scenery on the ride, like @flytrap says.
I've had performance bikes on both sides of the torqur-horsepower argument -- VTX1800, VFR800, and all kinds of stuff in between. With all that as a backdrop, I am really, really satisfied with what the CTX1300 brings to the table. I can see where some people may want more, and in fact the CTX could be more, but then I think you run the risk of compromising long-term reliability and durability. As it is, this bike is better suited to my riding style than any other I've owned. Not to mention, that confidence in my bike's likely ability to be running longer than I will is all part of the riding experience to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No... They had that bike when I bought mine as well. Phil , who I get along pretty well with, recommended me against buying it. He said it was registered in May and I was better off with a new bike. So I got a brand new one for that price. The rack that goes on for the top box was another $280 (genuine) then I bought the larges kappa top box, which does hold 2 helmets from AMX in Keilor. $190.00. At the moment Honda has a free promotion on, which is the larger height windscreen for free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi to all and thanks for your great responses...Flytrap...I like your comments about being able to see the trees etc. and I agree wholeheartedly....what better way to see our great countries and enjoy our wives company.
Miks..........your story is so true......I need a photo of my wife as reference, but I can describe all 16 of my previous loves going back over 40 years, in great detail.
Mimmike......thanks for the feedback on the price of the bike at Peter Stevens....I'll drive a hard bargain now that I know there is scope...I always thought that Peter Stevens rarely negotiated much on price.
Bob and Sleepnbear...........as the boys in blue won't allow us to go faster than 110km/hr here in OZ (only when they are looking that is) it will be very hard to generate anymore than 4000rpm .....I haven't had my Speed Triple over 6500rpm anyway ....and I love the feeling of torque at low revs so I'll be definitely becoming another CTX 1300 owner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing you are in Melbourne, if you private message me, I will give you my contact there. I have bought several bikes from Peter Stevens. I deal with the dealer principal. Hence the good price. He does put me on to the sales person, but I think I pretty well get the best price possible. $1500 - $2000 is better in your pocket and that will cover the pegs and cruise :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts