CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CTS 1300 with about 1200 miles on it. I don't know if it is me or if I have never noticed it before. The other day while sitting at a long red light, I shifted into neutral and let the clutch out. I noticed a slight whirling sound and felt a light vibration in the handle bars. I don't do this often so not sure if it has been there all the time. Before riding, I start the bike in neutral and let it idle for a minute or two before riding off and have never noticed this. Had oil changed last year at 600 mile mark by dealer. Anyone noticed this or thoughts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have owned a few bikes that do this, it is the throw-out bearing when in neutral and isn't a cause for concern. I would say more bikes than not have a little different sound as you are describing. My CTX 1300 happens to be relatively quiet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, now that I think about it, that's probably what it is. I have to go to the dealer on Friday for a state inspection. I'll get his take on it. Just odd that I haven't heard it before. Thank for the info.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In general I would expect an increase of vibrations in the situation you described, but I do always put in neutral at traffic lights and my CTX is quiet like a purring cat, no vibrations on the bars (I have a 1 month old bike with about 900 mi, and I just done the first service).

Reactions: SCS

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I have noticed some noises like that even while just holding in the clutch on both my ST and this CTX1300. I don't ever usually shift to neutral at a stoplight for safety reasons (need to be ready to ride out of some BDC coming up behind without looking!), unless I just have to use my left hand for something (and then it's right back in gear with hand holding clutch).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update
Was at dealer today for state inspection and to have them check out vibration. Lead mechanic rode it and could not find anything to be concerned about. This dealer has always been good to me so I have to trust him. Anyway, I have the extended warranty just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Den and others. I do have similar noises and light vibrations like you described. I've tried to do research about nature of that. So that I put bike on the central stand then started engine and shifted gears from 1'st to 5'th and by doing this the noise (knocks actually) went louder and clearly from gear to gear. I didn't accelerate through the process and in moments I hold the clutch any terrible noises disappeared. I probably agree with Miks that looks like throw-out bearings issue but I'm not confident that has to be like it is. Sorry for my English. My native is Russian and live there.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
both my ST and the CTX will make this noise. I agree with Bob, You never want to sit at a stop light or sign in neutral for the very reason he stated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yep. Mine has about 9000 miles and it does that sound. Riding relatively slow in fourth gear is also pretty loud with a lot of gear whining.... On the other hand, I love the exhaust note of the bike when you wind it out in fourth gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everyone here seems to have a fairly quiet machine, my has and has always had a high pitch wine from the engine and serious road noise. I have 9000 miles now, no change. Am I alone? Dealer told me it was normal and is a feature of the V-4.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That would be the timing gears and valve linkages in the front of the engine. It is normal and the character of this engine.
See some more discussion HERE. Enjoy the Jetson car :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Everyone here seems to have a fairly quiet machine, my has and has always had a high pitch wine from the engine and serious road noise. I have 9000 miles now, no change. Am I alone? Dealer told me it was normal and is a feature of the V-4.
Mine is no quiet, the first few months I was wearing earplugs!
I got used to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
And I thought I was hearing things. It is unique.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Every time I fire up my bike, I hear very rhythmic "ha ha ha ha" sounds, and I most definitely hear a "weeeeeeee" sound going down the road at 80 mph (and sometimes, it goes on for miles, even when it has been completely warmed up!). When decelerating, I hear an obvious "heh heh heh heh", especially during downshifts. And when I turn it off, I swear I hear a grumpy groaning sound. My service guy insists the CTX is fine, because he only hears these sounds when I am on the bike. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get a whiring "like dry bearing noise' when I back off.. very noticable if I cut engine and glide down from 60 or 70...
other than that ,, like the sounds.. got about 12k on 'er and with a k & n filter (***** to get at) and running 94 octane .. backing of down a grade.. 4400 rpm to 3000ish ,, nice rap... .. after warranty is off.. will likely move to K & N individual throat filters.. ahhh the induction suck.. luv it.. HEY DON'T GO THERE ;)

while i am ranting... anyone else weld on another inch on the kick stand foot? sure had a hella lean on b4 I did... and if it sank,, I was sure ashphalt lay down was going to happen sooner or later...

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Every time I fire up my bike, I hear very rhythmic "ha ha ha ha" sounds, and I most definitely hear a "weeeeeeee" sound going down the road at 80 mph (and sometimes, it goes on for miles, even when it has been completely warmed up!). When decelerating, I hear an obvious "heh heh heh heh", especially during downshifts. And when I turn it off, I swear I hear a grumpy groaning sound. My service guy insists the CTX is fine, because he only hears these sounds when I am on the bike. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
Sounds like the Seven Dwarfs.

Attachments

Reactions: Greystoke

·
Registered
291 Posts
I get a whiring "like dry bearing noise' when I back off.. very noticable if I cut engine and glide down from 60 or 70...
other than that ,, like the sounds.. got about 12k on 'er and with a k & n filter (***** to get at) and running 94 octane .. backing of down a grade.. 4400 rpm to 3000ish ,, nice rap... .. after warranty is off.. will likely move to K & N individual throat filters.. ahhh the induction suck.. luv it.. HEY DON'T GO THERE ;)

while i am ranting... anyone else weld on another inch on the kick stand foot? sure had a hella lean on b4 I did... and if it sank,, I was sure ashphalt lay down was going to happen sooner or later...

cheers
I agree on stand height, feels like I'm going over on it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I actually posted about the tranny noise before I read this. I guess the internals are just a little noisy in neutral.:wink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I second Bob, NEVER shift to neutral at red lights. It saved my life being able to maneuver away from a cager once. That extra split second saved is crucial.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I second Bob, NEVER shift to neutral at red lights. It saved my life being able to maneuver away from a cager once. That extra split second saved is crucial.
This is a good practice, I only kick it in neutral when there are cars already stopped behind me but even then I tell my boy that is a bad habit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts