CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Honda fog lights on my CTX. No matter how much I look at them, I can't get over how cheap they look. They just look so plastic with that silver paint. I've been thinking about painting them black and this photo of the NT1100 fog light convinced me to break out the spray paint. It looks like the same cheap plastic housing, but it looks better in black.
Watch Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does look much better. I may do the same.
I tried painting the Honda impression in the valve cover red. But having difficulty with the paint. I'll get it though.
I thought of painting the whole cover a deep color red to make it look similar to the Goldwing. Some people think it's a GW anyways, so why not confuse them a little more! 🤔
Or maybe black with red letters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The OEM Honda Fog Light kit for the CTX1300 is expensive to buy and a pain to install by removing
a lot of plastic body work. The kit makes sure that you can only apply them when your light switch is
set at Low beam only. Might I suggest that you look at the PIAA 1100P fog lights as an alternative.
These LED lights are rated 15 watts per light and the wire harness has the On/Off Switch, Relay and
Safety Fuse combined in a solid black metal housing. The Projector Beam is extra wide to allow you to
be seen by other drivers without blinding them, you can see both road lanes and you can see what is
on the side of the road near you, These fog lights are rated as SAE F for fog lights. PIAA also has kits
that allow them to be mounted on front wheel forks. See link below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The OEM Honda Fog Light kit for the CTX1300 is expensive to buy and a pain to install by removing
a lot of plastic body work. The kit makes sure that you can only apply them when your light switch is
set at Low beam only. Might I suggest that you look at the PIAA 1100P fog lights as an alternative.
These LED lights are rated 15 watts per light and the wire harness has the On/Off Switch, Relay and
Safety Fuse combined in a solid black metal housing. The Projector Beam is extra wide to allow you to
be seen by other drivers without blinding them, you can see both road lanes and you can see what is
on the side of the road near you, These fog lights are rated as SAE F for fog lights. PIAA also has kits
that allow them to be mounted on front wheel forks.

www.piaa.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=1100p

See link above and download PIAA 2018 catalog for better information.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
that allow them to be mounted on front wheel forks. See link below.

I bought the OEM lights because the bike is already set up for them. Switch in the button bar, indicator light in the dash, etc. And I like how they switch off when high beams are on. I believe that's the law, can't use high beams and fog lights at the same time. This is why fog lights/driving lights switch off on cars when high beams are on. I'm not the obnoxious kind to blind oncoming traffic just to make sure I'm seen. The OEMs are working fine for that. I've noticed cagers are paying more attention to my presence. And the OEM fog lights give me the wider view to light up that dark area when in curves.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,996 Posts
Mostly correct on state law. Fog lights are only allowed with low beams. Driving lights are only allowed with high beams. High beams are only allowed when oncoming traffic is not yet close enough to be blinded by them and also only allowed when not following close to other traffic. Each state specifies the distances allowed or not allowed.

I ignored that when I installed the driving lights on my CTX. I used 20 watt per lamp 10 deg pencil beam driving spots. Lit up both lanes and the ditches just fine and nearly doubled the distance I could see per the OEM high beams. I normally would turn them off when there was any traffic nearby. My switch was a lighted switch so I knew when they were on... but the beam cast out in front of the bike made it obvious. I have a thread in the electrical sub forum for my install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts