CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! I am at a stopping point!! How do I remove the front option plug so I can connect my OEM Honda foglight plug to it? Do I pull or do I pull it apart or is it another tool I need to use? (HELP)

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
There is a dummy shell on that plug. Actually that's just a valid connector half that doesn't have pins in it but does have seals instead. There is a tab to press like on all the other plugs on the bike and that will come off. I used that shell and just added the pins and used it for my own purposes rather than the purpose it is there for (fog light option kit).

You should be able to simply unplug that dummy shell to plug in your fog light kit plug in its place.

If you really need to remove the connector altogether... IIRC the pair of plugs on that side (heated grip right side plug on top and front option plug on the bottom) the entire pair should pull off the mounting bracket by pulling straight back. I think they are held by a rubber piece around the metal bracket.

Oh, and welcome to the forum @Wideopen

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bob!! I need help again!! My OEM foglights light indicator comes on the dash display. The fog lights don't come on. I use the front plug option..is it something I am missing? Help ..Please Thank You!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
At this point you will need to hear from someone who has installed that option kit. If the kit was installed properly the lights should come on in addition to the instrument indicator. It would seem something is missing or not quite plugged in.

Almost forgot this idea. Don't know on this fog light kit. I know that driving lights are by law to only work with high beams. I think fog lights should only work with low beams. So check if it is different with high beams and low beams.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes the oem fog lights only work with the low beams. It would be nice if they were on with the highs also.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I guess the whole point of fog lights is that you really don't want be using high beams when you need to be using fog lights. I felt the LED headlights, even on low beam, did wonderfully in any condition including fog.

I felt the same about driving lights... wanting them on regardless of high or low beams so when I added driving lights I wired them separately from any other lights on the bike same I've done with other bikes. Hard to do with the factory option kit. I also picked out driving lights with VERY narrow beams, only a 10 degree spot, so I could aim them to not be a bother to most on coming traffic. Of course, there were always those drivers who seemed to have a really hard time with ANY lights from approaching vehicles so those could never be satisfied.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The driving lights are on their own switch, hi and low beam 10 degree spot on the left and 20 on the right. When you are riding at 0 dark thirty in West ByGawd Kentucky you need all the light you can get.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
But the fog light kit is tied to the headlights to only work in low beam. That is per state law for most states (if not all).
I have read the state law for several states regarding lighting on motorcycles (side effect of working for my home state on information technology systems).
Though I definitely agree that you need all the light you can get when driving at night, especially when there is no other traffic to provide some additional lighting of the road up ahead. But that would be mainly for driving lights. Fog lights are to improve what you see in dense fog, to avoid the light scatter that obscures everything in fog, when you really shouldn't be out anyway... and also to avoid blinding others due to that same scatter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts