CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got these installed perfectly.
The left one is glued rock solid. No issues. Let cure 2 weeks by the time I got the bike out.

Took it out Sunday....50s outside. Turned the grips to #4 ...worked AMAZING. Nice and even soft all-around heat.

However....
I suddenly noticed my left grip kinda got loose, especially near the innermost side where the switch is located. You could twist it a bit back and forth. What the heck?

So I came home...got off the bike and gently moved the grip back to the mating lines (it was within 2-3mm) and went inside.

Later in the evening, went out to the bike and the left grip was solid as stone once again.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? - I mean seriously? Is this normal?

·
Registered
413 Posts
So I got these installed perfectly.
The left one is glued rock solid. No issues. Let cure 2 weeks by the time I got the bike out.

Took it out Sunday....50s outside. Turned the grips to #4 ...worked AMAZING. Nice and even soft all-around heat.

However....
I suddenly noticed my left grip kinda got loose, especially near the innermost side where the switch is located. You could twist it a bit back and forth. What the heck?

So I came home...got off the bike and gently moved the grip back to the mating lines (it was within 2-3mm) and went inside.

Later in the evening, went out to the bike and the left grip was solid as stone once again.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? - I mean seriously? Is this normal?
Well I can tell you it's not normal. Mine don't budge, even if they've been on level 5 for several hours on end. I can only guess you messed up something with the glue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can tell you it's not normal. Mine don't budge, even if they've been on level 5 for several hours on end. I can only guess you messed up something with the glue.

I'm still having this issue and just been living with it. I had an appt at the dealer (I never ever go there) out of frustration but it poured today.

Thought I'd post this back once again and see now, if anyone has this issue. I swear I installed them perfectly PER the directions and used ONLY Honda supplies/glue/etc - and hate to have to pay a dealer to likely do something I can.....

Anyone else do these and have this issue?
Anyone have any thoughts?

:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had to cancel 3 dam appt.'s for this due to rain. (why?) - I refuse to ever ride any of my bikes in the rain nor get them wet from washing. Its pretty cool to sell a bike 3-5yrs later with the bottom bolts all still brass looking...Last bike I sold close to what I paid for it 3 yrs later...I got the idea from my father in law. He has an older Ford Mustang that has never ever seen a drop of rain or water. Its almost 10yrs old. Low mileage and the engine and under the vehicle look brand new. He keeps getting people begging him to sell it. Its one of the high-perf rare models....

Anyway,
I got a new appt next week. They are going to call Honda Tech-line to discuss and perhaps warranty out the left grip and reassemble a new one.

I suspect the glue was bad or something but I was a Ford mechanic for 2yrs at a dealer and I know my way around directions.

I will know more next week and let you guys know what the dealer did and found. One thing the parts people did was give me Honda carb cleaner instead of the isopropyl alcohol that the directions show. But he told me thats all they use for grips and don't even carry the alcohol and I've never seen 90% in a spray can anyway.

Thats the only possibility. I guess these parts do come with some warranty. Service felt it was like 6 months. At least this particular Honda accessory I actually bought from my own dealer vs the one in Iowa, so that was smart - in this case.

Even w/o the heat on you can still turn the grip although its not loose its loose enough to turn with a mild amount of force.

:confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm I believe you might want to read the side of that carb cleaner.. thought there was also a bit of lubricant in the mix to keep the cleaned parts from rusting until reassembled. NOT good for glueing surfaces.. I use spray brake cleaner NOW that crap dissolves every thing and leaves bare metal even on my Glock after qualifications day with 500 rounds thru it using cheap ammo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmm I believe you might want to read the side of that carb cleaner.. thought there was also a bit of lubricant in the mix to keep the cleaned parts from rusting until reassembled. NOT good for glueing surfaces.. I use spray brake cleaner NOW that crap dissolves every thing and leaves bare metal even on my Glock after qualifications day with 500 rounds thru it using cheap ammo
I totally agree. That's why I asked Parts why they gave me that stuff.

The service dept agreed to a point. They said YES we use it vs isopropyl for removing grips - but then he stopped saying for applying.

But here is what I did (I did not use any for applying):

-Cut the old grip off with a razor just enough to not scratch the tube.
-Remove old grip.
-Clean entire area with carb cleaner, took the glue right off.
-Cleaned it then with 90% isopropyl.
-Apply new glue per directions (all around but not overdone), tube said to wait a few which I did as the glue goes from a super liquid to a tacky/sticky.
-Carefully pushed the grip forward onto the bar slowly so the
glue didn't bunch up at the end.

...then followed the directions for letting it sit and not turning it on for a few days.

So, I didn't use any spray to install it. The directions show to and maybe that is needed to re-liquify the glue temporarily. Possibly thats where I screwed up, but it appears the spray is only to allow the grip EASE to install.

I hope to have them take off the left side, clean it and reapply the glue, doing it "THEIR" way. I hope the heated grip can be cleaned. If not, looks like I will be buying a 2nd set of heated grips and keeping the rest of the parts for spares.... Maybe the left grip was made 1mm too thin or something too. I will take this up with Honda consumer affairs if I have to buy a new one. Well, at least I will try for some reimbursement...90day warranty...sheesh.

I did buy the 4yr extended warranty Direct from Honda. I wonder if that might cover it..Hmm.

:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts