CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to change the oil and filter for the first time on my CTX. I was wondering if anyone has done an oil change apart from taking it to the dealer. i usually try and change the oil and filter on my bikes and cars, but am by no means mechanically inclined. I had a look under the bike and access to the oil filter seems really tight.....any advice or opinions. I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem but if anyone encountered any issues it would be helpful to know... i will only have bike on centre stand not on a lift. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's pretty easy.
The hardest thing really is the oil filter . You'll see how the frame crosses under where the filter is and makes it a ***** to turn the filter. Other than that it's straightforward.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
There are a number of posts in the Technical forum here about that. I change my own oil. Have done it twice now. I don't have a center stand and feel it's easier on the side stand, mainly to tilt the bike to one side for easier access to the filter. I put a 2x4 block under the side stand to enable my oil pan to fit under the engine (sides are tall) and the drain is on the left side anyway so better draining. The filter is put on from the factory really tight so I ended up poking a larger screw driver through the filter can to use as a lever to help break it loose. I HIGHLY recommend sticking with dino oil for the first oil change. At the 8000 mile interval I did go to Rotella T6 full synthetic. Use the oil of your choice but be careful of one very important detail. Do NOT use oil that is marked as Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving as those have additives that cause eventual problems with a wet clutch like what our bikes have. Both the user manual and service manual state this.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Piece of cake. As stated above, the worst part is getting the factory filter off the first time. They obviously don't follow their own torque specs for that on the assembly line.
Since you have a center stand the rest will be easy. For side stand users, you have to balance or put something under the side stand to see the sight glass to check the oil level.
That being the 2 worst parts of changing the oil, you can see it is only time consuming, not difficult.
So, after you do it, come back and tell us how bad it was getting the original oil filter off or how you destroyed it, because you'll go through the rest so easy you won't even remember it (seriously).
Oil changes after that one will be almost as easy as checking the tire pressure.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you are a frugal sort, such as myself, a Purolater L14610 or L14612 oil filter will work just fine. The L14610 is about 3/4 inch longer than the L14612. I use the longer one because of there being more filter media. More is better, right? At Wally World they can be had for $3.47.
Been using these filters for many years on my motorcycles. Very highly rated by Bob the Oil Guy.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I don't remember but Bob the Oil Guy might just be where I got this list, or a similar web site that took apart oil filters to see what was inside:

As you can see your choice is supported in the "Buy these filters" part of the list. I still have a Bosch filter from the stock I had with my ST1100 (same filters). Will have to buy more after the next oil/filter change.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I got it from his website too bob. But it is one of the few things you see posted on many of the motorcycle forums that the majority agree with.
I copied the text and posted it into a text file and keep it on my dropbox for access between my devices.

Reactions: bob
1 - 7 of 7 Posts