CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, i have searched this forum and found no mention on this subject. Anyway i have turned 6000 km and thought i would get a service done even though the book says every 12000 km, i know there are different opinions on this subject but i feel more comfortable doing this.

I had a service done at 1000 km and the Honda dealer said to use the genuine Honda oil [mineral] which i have for the last 5000 km, directly after moving to the Honda oil i noticed that the gear shifts weren't as smooth as the original oil and so i decided to go to at least, semi synthetic at the 6000km change as i have done with all my previous bikes and did so now.

Having done this and gone on a 350km ride a day ago i noticed two things, the first being that the gear shifts were much better, as i expected but instead of my usual 5-5.5 ltr per 100 km i was getting 6-6.5 ltr. the oil i used was Motul 5100 10w40w [semi], i know that the book says 10w30 oil but both the mechanic and the motul distributors here in Australia said it was fine to go to the 10w40.
So has anyone had similar experiences with worse fuel usage with different oil? i have never had this problem before, i can only think that it has something to do with the 40 weight rather than semi-synthetic!

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Can't change how you think, but I can't believe that change made the difference. 90% chance that as you have become more used to the bike, your own little habits have changed. Now that it is broken in, you probably aren't treating it so tender, so your mpg/kpl is dropping a bit.
Have you checked your tire pressure? Have you developed a heavy throttle hand since break in?
I may be wrong, as my wife will testify is often, but consider these possibilities.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My motorcycle has kept getting better gas mileage the more miles I have put on it. I weaned myself off the mineral oils after the second oil change, and have gone to a semi-synthetic oil with 10W40. My current gas mileage is approximately 49 miles per gallon average or 5.8 liters per 100 kms. I average approximately 60 miles per hour or 97 kph.

My oil consumption was very slight on my first oil change performed at 600 miles per break in, however my third oil change has showed very minimal if any oil consumption.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for the input. Yes i could have been giving it a 'little bit more' on the last ride checking out the gearshift smoothness, although i wasn't aware of doing that and i guess more than one ride in varying conditions will prove me wrong but even taking it easy just after changing the oil and filling the tank with fuel the consumption gauge just didn't want go down. I was just wondering if it was the oil and looking for quick answers.

I have consistently been getting 5ltr/100km taking it easy and 5.5 when playing with the bike [there is a few competitive old-timers in my local Ulysses club that need to be shown how its done] so I'm used to the difference in consumption but you have have answered my question, its probably another variable rather than the different oil.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Jim-Australia,
I know you gonna get to the bottom of this, so please reply once you resolve/determine the cause. Just because we talk the game don't mean anything until you know the actual reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yep i will. however i only ride Wednesdays with a club and being winter here it may be a couple of weeks and rides to get a decent riding day and get back to you [our worst few weeks of the year at the moment, lots of cold rain and snow about] but will let you know as soon as i can. Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow, so delicate with the fuel
i have put 4,000 km on my machine so far this year, and have noticed a very consistent fuel consumption
when i first purchased in the spring i was doing 17 km/l for the first fuel tanks
but shortly after, after a few weeks, as i started to enjoy the warmer weather and romping around dropped to 15 km/l
which has been consistent ever since.
i do have a few notes, fuel consumption is 20l/100 km+ for the first 5 minutes after startup, then seems to drop to 5-6l/100km
also, highway rides are very consistent at 5l/100km cruising at 120 km/hour
which works out to 50 mpg cruising at 80 mph
i just changed oil to full synthetic and iridium plugs, and the one thing i did notice right away, is the massive improvement in performance
shaved 0.5 seconds easily off acceleration to 100 km/h, and really have a tough time keeping the front wheel down when i crank the throttle in first and second gear

all in all, still holding up at 15 km/l all across the board, which is about 40 mpg, and nothing to sneeze about
my shadow had the same, but no where near the performance

its not V65 Magna, but dam, i love this bike

El Loco D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Delicate! never been called that before but thanks for the input. Its not actually the fuel consumption i am concerned about, i know there are a number of variables to take into account and in fact since new i have been through the various stages of throttle use and associated differences in fuel use.

The fact is, my dealer is 35 km from where i live and so on my return trip home after the oil change i noticed the immediate drop in fuel consumption on the same road home, at exactly the same speeds [legal of course] as normal and made a mental note to monitor it on the 350km ride the next day, again on the same road back[trying to take it easy and seeing if that would help], more fuel use, at least half a liter more than before the oil change.

So it was the instantaneous drop after the oil change that made me wonder, rather than the fuel consumption itself.

Still as mentioned i will look closer over the next few runs and report back.

I thought about full synthetic but have heard various comments about problems in regards to clutch slippage and other issues, also iridium plugs, whats the difference between them and ordinary plugs?

Thanks again, Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The clutch slippage would be more due to resource conserving or energy conserving oil being used. These types of oil must be avoided on a wet clutch bike. Check the API circle (in the USA) or the certification information or elsewhere on the label where such would be noted. These oils contain special added lubricants to make them more slippery, and thus would make the wet clutch more slippery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks again boys for all your advice. I have now completed a few more runs and all is well, in fact on one of them i got the best mileage ever, so i can only presume that my initial concerns were a little over-done and that other factors made the difference.

Thanks Bob for your advice on using full synthetic oil, I'll use the Motul 300 full next, its recommended for the CTX by Motul themselves and is not energy conserving or simler. i think for a few extra $ i rather get the best, i want this bike to last and it cant do any harm!

I hear about all the oils you all prefer in North America but Motul has a good name here and is mostly what the dealers stock and as i don't do may own servicing, then i am happy to stick with it.

Again thanks all.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Jim-Australia,
Motul is a good oil. We have it here also, but it isn't popular. Then again, neither is the brand I use. Many good brands, but you have to choose one. I've only heard good reports from users of Motul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts