CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be one of those correlation vs. causation issues, but.... I just had the oil changed and they filled it with Honda GN4 10-40. I immediately noticed a change in how the bike shifts. My best description is that things feel tighter. The long toss from 1 to 2 is gone and all gear shifts are now much more precise. It could be just a wear-in issue. I have about 6000 miles. I can't help but think the oil had something to do with this. The manual calls for 10-30. Anybody notice a change in how the bike shifts when you change the oil. I'm not complaining as this is a change for the better.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
After my first 600-mile oil change, mine seemed to be shifting noticeably worse. Lots of missed shifts, especially between 4-5. Then all of a sudden it just cleared up; right around the time I swapped on the Kury grips, the missed shifts went away. I haven't done a second change yet (still shy of 4000 miles), but that will be coming soon.

Oil definitely has something to do with how the shifting feels, though I haven't seen any definitive correlation between oil types and better or worse shifting.

·
Registered
446 Posts
(unless they did the oil change before your very eyes) It could be that the Honda servicing specs call for more adjustments to be done "with every oil change" and it could be that a gearbox linkage check is among them.

I had a similar "issue" with my Sportster always coming out of periodic servicing with a dead-on clutch and better "oomph" off the line. The third time it happened I was getting obsessed by it, so I thought I'd ask the tech about it, more like a joke. He confirmed adjusting clutch play and re-setting the ECU were part of the "always do this" maintenance procedure.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.........

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Kuryakyn grips

After my first 600-mile oil change, mine seemed to be shifting noticeably worse. Lots of missed shifts, especially between 4-5. Then all of a sudden it just cleared up; right around the time I swapped on the Kury grips, the missed shifts went away. I haven't done a second change yet (still shy of 4000 miles), but that will be coming soon.

Oil definitely has something to do with how the shifting feels, though I haven't seen any definitive correlation between oil types and better or worse shifting.
Sleepingber - did you find some Kury grips that do't require a throttle tube change? If so, where? All black or just chrome and black? I've looked, but not lately. As you might guess, I'm done with changing throttle tubes - never again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
This could be one of those correlation vs. causation issues, but.... I just had the oil changed and they filled it with Honda GN4 10-40. I immediately noticed a change in how the bike shifts. My best description is that things feel tighter. The long toss from 1 to 2 is gone and all gear shifts are now much more precise. It could be just a wear-in issue. I have about 6000 miles. I can't help but think the oil had something to do with this. The manual calls for 10-30. Anybody notice a change in how the bike shifts when you change the oil. I'm not complaining as this is a change for the better.
I am a "tap" shifter and my CTX1300 feels very much like my old ST1100 when I fall in my old habits; it throws the gear right back at me. That is to say... I have to (properly) fully engage the gear with a solid footed pull on the lever. I loos 2nd and 3rd gear from time to time.
I wonder if the transmissions aren't exactly the same...

anyway... i would think the oil isn't the key factor, but perhaps your just mentally adjusting to your bike? the synergy effect so to speak.

·
Registered
117 Posts
on second thought, the engine may be backing off its power quicker, which should smooth out the shift..... hmmmmm

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Sleepingber - did you find some Kury grips that do't require a throttle tube change? If so, where? All black or just chrome and black? I've looked, but not lately. As you might guess, I'm done with changing throttle tubes - never again!
Yup!!
Grips: Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 6341 ISO Black Universal Grips: Automotive

Grip end weights: Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 6339 Gloss Black Grips End Weight: Automotive

and Throttle Boss: Amazon.com: Kuryakyn ISO-Throttle Boss - Black Contour 6318: Automotive

All in black, but also available in chrome. Uses the stock throttle tube.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Excellent - Thanks Sleepingbear!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sleepingbear, do you have a deluxe ctx? I checked that grip # on Amazon and it said that the grip you listed only fits the ctx, not the deluxe. I want that set up you mentioned, but I don't want to order the wrong parts. Can there be a difference between 1300 and the deluxe?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I have the standard. I believe the heated grips are an option on both models (at least in North America), so that shouldn't make a difference. As far as I know, it should be the same grips for the standard and the Deluxe.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
In the USA there is no difference between Deluxe and Standard on the handlebars and grips and controls. And since there is no Standard outside the USA it is only a matter of the factory installed heated grips on the only model available in other countries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts