CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends -
I'm having my bike's oil changed on Monday 7/26. Looking through some relevant posts on this forum, I found the Honda filter #15410-MCJ-000 on a chart of filters to avoid. I have a new one that I had planned to have the shop install.

It seems strange that a Honda-branded part is not advised for use on a Honda product. Is there a common-knowledge reason to avoid using this thing that I am not aware of? The whole natural/synthetic lubricating oil controversy has worn me out made me a skeptic of all things speculative in these matters. FWIW Antoinette the Black Deluxe has only 4600 miles on her. Yes, Antoinette.
Please and thanks.
Gas Font Auto part Electronics accessory Fixture

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
If you refer to a chart or list of filters that I have posted at one time that would be based on one persons (not mine) research into good/better/best filters to use and on the materials inside the filter and how they perform over time. If this filter is what the owner or service manual shows to use then I would think it is OK to use for normal oil change intervals.

I just checked on Honda Parts Nation and the parts breakout list shows the filter should be Honda part number 15410-MFJ-D02. The first part of that is a generic class of part but the last 2 bits of that part number are specific to the bike. It has to do with the mounting stud that the filter fits onto and the seal ring as well as the filter element inside.

As to the whole "what oil to use" issue is concerned. Use what you want BUT within these 2 VERY IMPORTANT points:
1. Make sure any oil you put into this bike is specified for JASO MA/MA2
2. Do not use any oil that is designated as Energy or Resource Conserving.

Usually if point 1 is specified then point 2 is also by default. This bike has what is called a wet clutch. That means the clutch shares the engine oil. If these 2 points are not followed then it is very likely you will have clutch slipping issues and possibly permanently. Energy/Resource Conserving oil has extra slippery additives that will stick to and trash clutch plates.

Other than that use the oil you want. Or just be safe and stay with the Honda GN4 oil, which meets both these points, as specified in the manuals.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bob for that. I don't see a filter part # specified in the owner's manual but I did locate the service order from my previous oil change where the dealer used an MFJ-D01. It seems many filters will do the job safely (except Fram?). The MCJ-000 I found in my garage must be a leftover from my old ST1100. Your point about the wet clutch oil requirement is well taken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with the chat on filters, and whatever the service manual specifies can be used. As far as oil, switched all 3 of my Honda's to the Honda synthetic. Love it and my CTX shifts like butter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts