CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Not trying to stir the pot or argue, just an interesting article IMO.
"Is Diesel Motor Oil the Right Choice for a Gasoline Engine?" Is Diesel Motor Oil the Right Choice for a Gasoline Engine?
I've seen many discussions on the Facebook groups where Many riders suggested using Rotella T6 diesel oil. They really need to read this one.
Then there are those who think synthetic oils are a waste because all oils come out of the ground. True, but synthetics are made up of compounds that can only be blended/combined in a manufactured process. They aren't found naturally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used Rotella T6 in my Aero and it ran great for almost 100k miles (I traded it in on the CTX and wish I'd kept it) but decided to stick with synthetic on the CTX. Lots of people swear by both ways...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are literally hundreds of articles on motorcycle oil. This is a general article addressing racing gasoline engines. Does this have a direct application to our motorcycle engines? Maybe. Maybe not. I know it is anecdotal but I have used Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 15W-40 on a half dozen different motorcycles, two which I put on over 100,000 miles. I have never had an oil related failure, nor had any of these bikes consumed oil between changes.

The oil for motorcycles topic is certainly a can of worms. I personally believe any quality oil with the correct certification, when changed according to the manufacture's recommendations will serve you well.

I am satisfied with my T6 successful use, and I will continue to use it in my CTX as I run up the mileage.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used Rotella T6 in my Aero and it ran great for almost 100k miles (I traded it in on the CTX and wish I'd kept it) but decided to stick with synthetic on the CTX. Lots of people swear by both ways...just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your comment! The Aero 1100? Had one of those too and also wish I'd kept it. That was the motorcycle that HD sued Honda over because it was a single pin that had the same sound as a Harley right?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also owned a Shadow Sabre 1100 and a couple of Concours 1000s and on all bike specific forums there were people recommending diesel engine oils and an equal amount saying it's a bad idea. I've usually gone synthetic in almost all gas engine vehicles I've owned. Only thing with a gas engine I broke was a chainsaw that I mis-mixed the fuel for and ruined the engine.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Thanks for your comment! The Aero 1100? Had one of those too and also wish I'd kept it. That was the motorcycle that HD sued Honda over because it was a single pin that had the same sound as a Harley right?
It was the '95 Shadow American Classic Edition (ACE).
I was in a local Honda dealership when the salesman was explaining to another exactly what Honda did to get the Harley sound. I thought nope, that's not for me. If I want an out of balance Harley engine, I'll get a Harley.
I know someone who has one and he's been happy with it. But I want a smooth running engine, which is what I expect from Honda.
Here's an old article on the Honda.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had an '04 Shadow ACE with straight, unbaffled pipes (bought it that way)
I literally would smell like exhaust all day, and leaving at 4am for work, was THAT neighbor. It was one of the reasons I went with the Vulcan, until I happened upon an article about the CTX, which then made the Vulcan very expendable....lol
As far as oil, I just put in Lucas oil conventional/synthetic mix. I read several articles on it being highly recommended. I used Luca way back in my motocross days, and didn't need the ring jobs most of the other guys needed regularly.
Haven't had it in long enough to have any knowledgeable opinion.
My friend is an old Honda Tech and swears by the Honda oil, even when I say that Honda doesn't manufacture it. He has an old '84 XL400 and an 87 (I think) Pacific coast that run great, so guess he knows what he's doing....lol

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I had an '04 Shadow ACE with straight, unbaffled pipes (bought it that way)
I literally would smell like exhaust all day, and leaving at 4am for work, was THAT neighbor. It was one of the reasons I went with the Vulcan, until I happened upon an article about the CTX, which then made the Vulcan very expendable....lol
As far as oil, I just put in Lucas oil conventional/synthetic mix. I read several articles on it being highly recommended. I used Luca way back in my motocross days, and didn't need the ring jobs most of the other guys needed regularly.
Haven't had it in long enough to have any knowledgeable opinion.
My friend is an old Honda Tech and swears by the Honda oil, even when I say that Honda doesn't manufacture it. He has an old '84 XL400 and an 87 (I think) Pacific coast that run great, so guess he knows what he's doing....lol
About Honda oil. There was a small plant in Paulsboro, NJ I picked up there a couple times Years ago. They blended motor oils to customer specs. They made and bottled GM, Honda, Toro, etc. It's kind of like the food industry too. Find a supplier who can produce what you want at a price you agree with. There's a famous pizza along the Maryland & Delaware shore. (I'm not going to name them) They use so much product cheese is bought already shredded and blended, by the 40,000 pound truck load. Picked up a few of those loads from Wisconsin.
Could be the motor oil is made somewhere else now.
I've picked up Arizona Iced Tea brewed in Georgia. So much for the name. You never can tell where some things come from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts