CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although ive only owned my ctx for 6 weeks, it is now well past 2000 km and time for an oil change.
has anyone made the switch to synthetic at all?
i was using amsoil for my shadow, which apparently is the only one because of the clutch
i have however, not found any note of this in my manual
also, time to switch up to a k an n air filter, just wondering how much work is involved in switch the air filter out
and lastly, as a long time believer in ngk iridium plugs
has anybody made that switch?
i have to be honest, the ctx engine seems seamless, with no lags in power, no hesitation
and non stop power, which is the reason i ask about the plugs
as the iridiums have solved this problem with all my vehicles
anyhow, just looking if anybody has any input on the maintenance that is required

thanks
Darrell

·
Registered
446 Posts
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

I will not comment on the oil issue as it's usually a can of worms on forums but for the air filter I'd say it's about one hour's work[1] to take everything out of the way to get at it.

[1] for a skilled mechanic that services motorbikes for a living, otherwise all bets are off and you could be quoted anything up to 4h.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
The only real issue about oil to be wary of is if the certification circle indicates the oil is Resource or Energy Conserving. Both of these are to be avoided per the service manual and the owners manual. Otherwise I would say to use your own judgment on what oil you want. I did just put in Rotella T6 full synthetic oil this last oil change about 1800 miles ago and have had no issues. I did make sure the bottle did not state Resource or Energy Conserving. I have found some synthetic oil bottles that did state one of these. You can see my flickr photos (link in signature) for a photo of the API circle where it is shown. I am at work and cannot access flickr from work.

Also, moving this thread to the tech section under the Engine and Technical Discussion forum since this is not a news article but an engine technical discussion. :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
600 miles I switched to Rotella T6 also. I usually use Schaeffers and will on the next change.
Not knocking any other oil/brand. This is just what I use and like.
This is worth repeating:
As @bob stated, don't use one of those slick oils or you gonna loose the clutch.(NO Resource or Energy Conserving oils).
Look for JASO-MA rating on any oil you use. And it may just say meets requirements of rating instead of having an actual seal (like the oils that are recommended by the manufacturers).
Amsoil, Honda, Delo, Rotella, and many of the dino oils will meet this requirement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well tonight was the night
did the first oil change, however, couldnt pull the filter, at least safely, however, will at 5,000 km
the big add on, changed up the plugs to NGK Iridiums CR7IEX (i believe), and wow, what a difference
peppy and honks big time now
i will swap out the air filter when i find some proper information on how to get at it, to the K & N
which should add a tad more zip as well

none the less, she goes
big time

el loco d

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am about to hit 8,000 miles on mine. I use Mobile Synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter. I am considering upgrading the air filter to a K&N soon.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Well tonight was the night
did the first oil change, however, couldnt pull the filter, at least safely, however, will at 5,000 km
the big add on, changed up the plugs to NGK Iridiums CR7IEX (i believe), and wow, what a difference
peppy and honks big time now
i will swap out the air filter when i find some proper information on how to get at it, to the K & N
which should add a tad more zip as well

none the less, she goes
big time

el loco d
Tip on the oil filter, get at it from the RH side, really tough unless you have the bike in the air on a lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ask any trained Automotive Tech what they think of K & N Air Filters on a modern engine. I wouldn't touch them. Oil in the air flow fogs up the sensors.
When I bought my slightly used F-150 it had a K&N. I took it to the dealer for warranty work and the tech denied warranty for a faulty mass aif flow sensor due to the aftermarket filter ruining the sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts