CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my new CTX 1300D and I have not even seen one up close. I would like to know if the valves are solid or hydraulic, I was wondering about how often they require valve adjustment. I know that must be a silly thing to think about when I don't even have one yet. My dealer don't even carry this Bike, He says they are not popular enough. I am located in coastal Va. area. Thanks for any info you can give me. I bought this bike because I can't handle Goldwings anymore. I look at it as a small goldwing as far as performance goes.
:smile::ty:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome!

Valves are solid lifter types, shim under bucket with a 16,000 mile service interval. Due to the V-4 arrangement, and the easy access, checking the valve clearances is a relatively simple task. Being that it is a Honda...unless you are sitting at 6,000 rpm a majority of the time I.E. racing the bike stop light to stop light, the specs will almost always be in. Talking to most mechanics with the V-4 on the ST1300, I understand they rarely go out of spec.

I am one of those that will check the clearances myself, but after a while I just listen to the top end noise and can tell if I have one clicking a little louder than normal. I had a BMW with 16,000 mile checks, and after 44,000 and never serviced, there wasn't any problems when the mechanic checked them. I think if you ride bikes in a normal style riding, you won't have to worry about the valves at all.

It is weird that the Harley Davidson is one of the few bikes that uses a hydraulic lifter. Must be due to the anemic redline of 5,500 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I know of one guy who had a ST 1100 that had over 100,000 miles on the bike, and didn't know he was supposed to check the valves. Oil consumption wasn't even a teaspoon every 3,000 miles, and this guy rode bikes hard...like ping the limiter every other weekend to make sure it was available ???

I think you will like your CTX 1300 a lot. Adjust those handlebars to fit your reach, and enjoy the comfort of the Goldwing with less weight. You give up a little on the wind protection, but overall, it is one of the more comfortable "touring" bikes out there. Plus...it acts like a bagger around town!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @Old Guy!
As Miks stated the valve adjustments are almost a non-issue on this engine. My previous bike was a ST1100. I know riders on ST1300 (same engine as the CTX) who have gone over 90K miles with no need to adjust valve clearances when checked. And most of those riders push it on twisty roads for many thousands of miles farther than I go in a year.

I also have searched for a lighter, less bulky Gold Wing since selling mine mostly for that reason. I am certain I have found what I've been looking for and anticipate this being the last bike I'll ever need to buy. I don't go as many miles in a single ride as some of the members here (or on the ST-Owners forum) but I can say from experience of a few 300 mile days on this bike last summer that it is a comfortable ride for me. I couldn't say that about the ST, on which I had to stop and stretch every 150 miles at least.

BTW- careful with that "Old Guy" label. There's a few here who can say that about themselves. I'm a young old guy at almost 60.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info

Well I will not be pushing my bike to the limits, so I shouldn't have any problem. I don't really consider myself old yet. I think old is over 70 and I am only 68. But I bought this bike because of the engine. I knew it would run very similar to the way a GW does. And I love the way a GW runs. I like quiet and smooth. I watched some you tube videos and I am sure I will like it. Thanks again for the welcome and info.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Old Guy,
Welcome aboard.
Several of us have stepped down from the Wings.
What color did you order? When are you supposed to pick it up?
Accessories?
You are in a nice riding area. Looking forward to your impressions after your first ride.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Welcome, Old Guy! :)
It's nice to see someone from my neck of the woods. I'm on Virginia's Eastern Shore. I can't wait for warmer weather. Looking forward to riding again to work every day! Good luck with your new CTX; you will love it for sure. I rode my friend's Gold Wing a couple of times, and although it was a fantastic machine, it felt too... automotive for me. The CTX1300 is by far the best motorcycle I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the Red one

I am not sure exactly when it will be in, I believe next week. I bought the red because my wife don't like black. I am not sure yet how I like the black out. I think it may grow on me. So far the only option I am adding is the tall windshield. There are not many accessories out there. the $265.00 for a back rest pad is insane. I went with the deluxe just for the ABS brakes. I believe in ABS brakes, and as a bonus it comes with the sound system. I carry a 64 gig I phone with over 4000 songs on it so the blue tooth is going to be great. I don't think I am going to like the sound muting itself when coming to a stop.
OBTW I am in Portsmouth

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
We have the same bike! I swore I would never have a red motorcycle again, my other bikes were that color and I wanted something different. Then I fell in love with the red one at the dealership. I got them to throw in the passenger backrest for $100 when I bought the bike, but I did get the taller windshield and installed it myself. You will love the bluetooth; I often use it with my phone. It works great with streaming services like Amazon Prime Music. When I took a ride to Lancaster last summer, I used my phone as a GPS and had the sound coming from the motorcycle speakers. Worked great. You can change the settings on the sound system so it does not mute when you come to a stop. I also use a USB stick plugged into the cable in the right dash pocket with music stored on it. In fact... winter is a great time to start putting together a new Road Music collection. I think that would be a good project for the weekend. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't ask the dealer for any extras because I am buying it for $15,000 out the door. I thought that was a good deal.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Welcome Old Guy,
You have fallen in with the right crowd for a change. These folks know the CTX inside out.
Up here in the frozen north we can only dream about bikes this time of year or haul one south and ride. I am buying the CTX1300 for the same reason you are. My passenger does not care to ride long distance any longer so I don't need the luggage space the GL has and I can lose better than 100# of bike by going "down" to the 1300. I was pretty much sold on this bike last fall, but didn't order it until a couple weeks ago. I'm not at all sure when I'll be picking it up, but I know it will be in a trailer when it comes home. I can't wait to finally ride it.
You've got 1 year on me, but we're a long ways from done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well one thing is for sure and that is I should be riding mine quite a while before you. I don't know how you can take all that cold weather up there, but when I am inside from a 95 plus degree day you will be out there riding. LOL
OBTW it is cold here too 18 right now, we don't normally get that kind of weather.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
You're 5 degrees warmer than we are right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When it gets that cold it isn't that noticeable of a difference. As far as I am concerned if it is below 50 it is too cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts