CTX 1300 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
CTX Tire wear History

Two up riding 90% of the time, combined weight 285 lbs.. 90% NC Mountain roads, Twisties. Moderately aggressive riding.
Stock Dunlops replaced @ 8130 miles.
Metzler 888 front ran 9755 miles
Michelin Commander ll on rear, ran 7400 miles,. this combination with Traction Dynamic AK 20 front Suspension upgrade transformed the handling incredibly.
Next, Metzler 880 rear,( back to spec. size) ran 6146 miles.
Dunlop Elite 4 front still running with 8307 miles, very close to wear bars.
Last rear tire, Bridgestone. Excedra Max, this combo also good handing, however now below wear bars at 4512 miles,.worst wear of any rear tire, This combo also good handing.
New rear tire Saturday,. Avon Spirit ST, which replaces the Storm 3D X-M. Impressive reviews! On the new Spirit ST. They don't have the front tire size so it will be the Avon Cobra AV 71. They list 2 tires our size, 63V & 63H,. ANYONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE?
ALL of my rear tires wear left of center first. I probably cornor more aggressively on left curves, (I am Left handed), perhaps it the crown of the road,.....
I will have had my Blue Deluxe 4 years this month,. STILL LOVING THIS BIKE!!:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
...On the new Spirit ST. They don't have the front tire size so it will be the Avon Cobra AV 71. They list 2 tires our size, 63V & 63H,. ANYONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE?
This should help...
https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tire-information/
Basically best to stay same or as close as possible to factory spec for both these numbers. Going under for load and/or speed ratings will cause you issues. Going over may not be all bad but you give up a bit of wear and maybe some performance, mainly going over on the load rating more than the speed rating. Of the two you mention the load rating is the same (600 lbs per tire - normal for the front). The "V" speed rating is faster than the "H" speed rating (149 vs 130).

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Well, sure enough right in the owner's manual 63V on front tire size. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Avon tires

Two up riding 90% of the time, combined weight 285 lbs.. 90% NC Mountain roads, Twisties. Moderately aggressive riding.
Michelin Commander ll on rear, ran 7400 miles,. this combination with Traction Dynamic AK 20 front Suspension upgrade transformed the handling incredibly.
Next, Metzler 880 rear,( back to spec. size) ran 6146 miles.
Dunlop Elite 4 front still running with 8307 miles, very close to wear bars.
Last rear tire, Bridgestone. Excedra Max, this combo also good handing, however now below wear bars at 4512 miles,.worst wear of any rear tire, This combo also good handing.
New rear tire Saturday,. Avon Spirit ST, which replaces the Storm 3D X-M. Impressive reviews! On the new Spirit ST. They don't have the front tire size so it will be the Avon Cobra AV 71. They list 2 tires our size, 63V & 63H,. ANYONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE?
ALL of my rear tires wear left of center first. I probably cornor more aggressively on left curves, (I am Left handed), perhaps it the crown of the road,.....
I will have had my Blue Deluxe 4 years this month,. STILL LOVING THIS BIKE!!:smileygarden_de_ban
I put the same tires on my CTX last month before we went to Texas and rode . Glad I did because they performed wonderfully , no regrets. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
91 Posts
205/50R17 General Altima Arctic on the rear and Shinko 700 Series 130/80-18 rear tire on the front.
It think both tires will be capable of 20,000+ miles.

You darksider you!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Michelin Com
This is great info for folks. I didn't get near that mileage from my Dunlops, replacing them after 8 months. Don't recall the exact mileage, less then 6k I think. Now running the Commander II and a Dunlop Elite 4 on front. I like them so far and will get a real good taste on my BRP trip next month. Would love to hear more about your suspension mods and a description of what the changes did for you.

What caught my eye was something else in your posting - combined weight 285 lbs? Wow! If I could get my wife to ride we would be nearly a hundred pounds more. I WISH I had your weight, my Doc and my BMI numbers would be much happier!

Hope you two make it to the "Meetup in the Mountains 2018". Was trying to add up the bikes coming and it looks like around 9 committed and 2-3 possibles. Should be quite the photo op!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Bob,
What kind of mileage did you end up getting from these tires? Did you like the way they performed? Are they still available? And last, but not least, are they the exact sizes that came with the CTX new? I just got my CTX and it still has the original tires. With 5,000 miles and at least five years on them, I think I’ll replace them.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
If talking to me @MoPops (there are a few Bob's on this forum but only one with that forum name)...
The Avon tires I put on had over 7600 miles on them when I sold the bike in June. There was plenty of tread left on them at that time and I was expecting to get well over 10,000 miles out of those Avon tires. I consider these the best tires I've had on the bike.

Of course, it is important to repeat that tires will wear differently based on riding style, road surface material and predominant temps, and keeping the psi up where it should be. I always tried to keep the psi at 42R/40F and had very good results on any tire doing that.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Thanks! And yes, I intended to ask you. Sorry for confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.