CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was starting to hear concerns from my spouse about the bike not being visible enough from the side, especially because I love riding at night. I prefer to wear all black (to go with the black bike and that "cool" look) and the idea of wearing a hi-viz vest is something I just don't want to consider. I already have super-reflective black tape on my black helmet and I extended it onto the sides, but that won't help unless a car's headlights hit it more or less directly. By that time that car could already be crashing into me. I needed something that would be visible even from an angle. The Skene lights are great but are primarily visible from the front and rear.

So I decided to go with something I had seen awhile back and always thought was interesting: Lunasee Active Side Lighting. I have it on order and should be receiving it in a few days.

My geeky side kinda likes the "Tron light cycle" vibe of this thing, but I wonder if it's just TOO geeky. At least it has an on-off switch. Take a look at the video and let me know what you guys think, OK? Personally I'm not fond of the "outlaw biker" feel of the video, but at least you get a good idea of what it looks like in operation.

Reactions: Ravgardner!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I've seen those mentioned before ... pretty cool looking. Yes, they will certainly grab drivers' attention. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
At first glance I was in agreement about not wanting the "Tron" look. But then right away decided I do like this add-on. I would likely only put the reflector tape half way around the wheel rim, though, to provide a flashing or alternating light. Flashing light is much more visible than a constant light. That's the idea behind modulating headlights. I am also considering changing out the side reflectors for LED lights like these from Electrical Connection.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/led-reflectors-rectangle.htm
These even have the option to be dual function to enable the side LED lights to be turn signals AND running lights!

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, gee, I hadn't thought about the idea of putting the tape only partway around the rim to create a "flashing" effect. I wonder if you could put the tape all the way around and then cut out segments of it to create a "dashed line" effect. I guess all of this depends on how long the tape continues to glow once it is no longer being excited by the UV LEDs. If it has a high persistence, then the dashes might blur into a solid line anyway, just dimmer, which would defeat the purpose.

Personally I have decided I will put the tape all the way around to get a solid circle. The perfectionist in me would go crazy otherwise. :D And the idea of a "TRON effect" is kind of growing on me. The bike is already unique in this part of the country; I might as well make it even more so. I just won't be able to go anywhere anonymously. :wink:

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the installation, as I don't have the centerstand and rotating the wheels to apply the tape might be a challenge. I think that will definitely be a two-person job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts