CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow CTX,ers,! This is aimed at any one with the standard factory short screen, do any of you ride with a open face helmet? Be it with shades or drop down sun visor,peak or not,do you get buffeting or just eye watering! Reason being quite fancy one for summer riding,fresh air and cool look:smile:but don't want to waste money if it's a pain! I know the tall screen would smooth things out but prefer the look of the shorty:D any input would be most welcome :confused: thanks Jonathan.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I bought my first CTX1300 in the Spring and we still had some cold mornings. Riding with the shorty and an open helmet resulted in some eye watering. So I used the full helmet when the air was under 55F or so. I wear eyeglasses to ride.

I had no problem with the air on my face when it was warm. The air was very smooth even at elevated speeds. I did catch a few bugs.

With the taller screens, I've ridden down into the lower 40s with no eye watering using the open helmet. The coldest I've ridden so far on a CTX1300 was 30F and I chose the full helmet behind a tall screen.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I ride with a full-face helmet, but here's something that might help: It literally only takes a few minutes to swap out the windshields. I plan on switching back to the shorter one once the weather gets hot, then back to the tall one for fall/winter/spring. It's easier to hear the speakers with the tall shield, but hopefully Santa will be bringing me a bluetooth helmet setup so it won't matter as much to me. :)

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I rode my bike home from the dealership I had my half helmet with visor. Man...the wind coming up over the fairing and the (non )windshield, had my helmet up off my head and sailing like a kite behind me. I had to switch to the full face until the tall windshield came in.
FS

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
When I rode my bike home from the dealership I had my half helmet with visor. Man...the wind coming up over the fairing and the (non )windshield, had my helmet up off my head and sailing like a kite behind me. I had to switch to the full face until the tall windshield came in.
FS
Ditto. I had to tighten up the strap and duck in behind the shorter best I could. I didn't switch helmets though. My little scorpion 100 will fit in the bags. Keep the full face for lower temps.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I guess it's just encouragement to keep with a full face or modular helmet then. I always use one of those. Been about 8 1/2 years since I even had an open face and never had a half helmet. :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I pretty much always ride with a open face half helmet with sunglasses. I have had the stock short wind screen on my bike pretty much since I bought it back in late June, and just recently ordered and installed a custom made 6" Dark Smoke wind screen from cee bailey's. I prefer a shorter screen myself because I like the looks of the bike with the shorter screen. As far as watery eyes I don't have an issue with that while riding. Hope this will help you out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the vintage-looking Biltwell Bonanza helmet as my warmer-weather lid. I wear it with sunglasses behind the tall shield or with their bubble shied snapped on if riding with the shorty. Something like this is a great compromise between the totally-open-face bug-spattered helmet-lift experience and the encumbrance of a full-face, which I wish I could want to wear but just don't enjoy in warmer weather.

That snap-on bubble shield lets a lot more air under than most helmets with integrated shields while still remaining aerodynamic and fully protecting my eyes. I wear contact lenses so I simply cannot abide any solution that leaves my eyes exposed to lots of wind/particles.

Jeff

·
Registered
131 Posts
The shorty windshield should have been the option! :( I hated most every mile behind it. Even with w/a full face on, the buffeting to head and shoulders and chest at > 50 was very annoying and any faster was IMHO dangerous:eek:. Plus you could not hear the audio system. :confused: Once I put the OPTIONAL taller one on, it became a much more enjoyable ride. :smiley-happy0034: I rode with open face most of the time AND with its shield UP!:wink: And I can actually enjoy the audio system when desired.:ty:
Once cooler days arrived I sometimes flipped the open face shield down. In real cold ( if I take that vs the Wing... or a cage?!:350x700px-LL-66dd6d) , I'll use a full face as I had to do with the shorty.
I don't think the look with taller windshield is negative, nor do the CTX 700 mirrors.:smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have learned form many in the past, bad and good experiences that full face is the way to go. Plus I have kids
Do you mean full face helmets prevent kids? :rotfl9:

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I've gone from an open face helmet with my first bike through my GW to a modular with the GW, Burgman, ST, and now a full face helmet on the ST and CTX. I did have a full face with my second bike since there was no fairing nor windshield (by recommendation of a more experienced rider) but went back to open face on the GW. As I gained experience riding I also gained knowledge about where the highest risk of damage for head injury... which is why we wear any kind of helmet at all. Of course, I wear armoured mc certified gear top to bottom for safety. Just trying to manage the risks of riding and mitigating as much of the danger of damage as possible. I kept seeing that number in my head from many sources... 64% of risk of damage to the head happens from the forehead to the neck... IOW- your face. So I choose to have what I now have on my head. Everyone must choose for themselves how to manage the risks of riding as they see fit, regardless what windscreen is on the bike. :)

BTW- never had a problem with a helmet lifting off due to the air stream. It just shouldn't be able to fly off if it is fitted right and the chin strap is fastened right. Or I should say I don't see how it's possible since one of the main checks for a proper fit is that all attempts to roll it off your head with chin strap fastened should fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a thought ,just before I bought the ctx I crashed on Suzuki Bandit.If you would like to see the photos of the Schuberth C3 helmet with the face shield torn off and the whole front with deep scratches,I think it would end any discussion of what type of helmet to wear regardless of the weather,I 'm just saying.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
When I was first learning how to ride, I was obsessed with safety and equipment. I stumbled on a story about a guy who had a fairly minor crash, and flew over his handlebars. His bike was only slightly damaged, and he was completely unharmed except for one thing. He had landed on his face and slid for a few feet. It wasn't even one of those shorty helmets, it was a three-quarters lid. There were pictures. It still haunts me, and although I know it ultimately comes down to personal choice, that image is at the front of my mind every single time I go to try on a new helmet. It's full-faced for me.

Reactions: Borntobewild

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Hoosierman

I pretty much always ride with a open face half helmet with sunglasses. I have had the stock short wind screen on my bike pretty much since I bought it back in late June, and just recently ordered and installed a custom made 6" Dark Smoke wind screen from cee bailey's. I prefer a shorter screen myself because I like the looks of the bike with the shorter screen. As far as watery eyes I don't have an issue with that while riding. Hope this will help you out.
Cee Baillys is the one!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was wishing for something that looked different to go along with the different looking CTX.
I looked at the full face FX-41 because it is aggressive looking. Open face AGV Blade because of it's unique style.
The FX-41 lets rain in & is a bit noisy for a full face(reviews). The Blade puts the air right into my eyes when wearing contacts(test ride).
I wear glasses 90% of the time.
I've got an addiction to buying helmets every 4-6 months like my wife buying purses/shoes.
The Rogue reminds me of Road Warrior movies:smiley-happy0034:
Mag-9 helmet adds a little styling to the open face look without being extreme. Plus was designed to accept the Sena sh-10 communicator.
Just some fence talk here to get more input/opinions on various helmets now that we have a few new members.
edit: @jeffz, my wife uses the flip up shield instead of the bubble and says it does good with her contacts. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-custom-500-flip-up-visor-shield

1 - 20 of 21 Posts