CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed during the summer in the morning that the CTX was slow to heat up. No problem. Yesterday at 42 degrees it took 17 miles for the temp guage to reach the middle or third bar, which is the normal operating temp. Is this what everyone else is experiencing? Running cold like that keeps the engine in the rich mixture really affecting fuel economy and I am sure it is not good on the exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine's not like that at all. In fact, I'm usually up to operating temp within about 3 miles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine depends on how hard I jump on it (counter-intuitively, going "easy" makes it heat up slower). If it's above 10C, I start the engine and ride off right away, taking it easy (under 2500rpm) until the first segment of the temperature gauge lights up.
If it's under 10C, I start up and leave it idling while I put my helmet and gloves on, to give her a head start and a chance to warm up better.

It usually warms up in about 2.5mi, even in cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
So far the bike runs fine at 14*F (-10*C). The temp gauge does take a long while to get to center. Didn't notice if it stayed one segment down from center or not this morning, but I end up going most my 13 mile ride to work with it there on these cold mornings. I usually start it and let it warm up for a few minutes. The mpg does suffer in the cold air, but that is true even with the temp gauge at center with cold air being sucked in. I expect that. I know this engine can handle well below -25*F (-31.7*C) in a ST1300. That was last years record holder on the ST web site Coldest Ride contest... from South Dakota (not me, I was second place). And his bike was and is running fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts