CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I posted this in the intro section but am repeating it here to solicit opinions. I realize no one can make a decision for me but I am just interested in other people's opinions.

I am a 64 years old. I am retired from the US Air Force and a civilian job. I do not have a CTX1300 as of now. I have shopped around and gotten what I think are fairly good price quotes on a Deluxe model. I have had a Yamaha 60, a Suzuki GT 380, a BMW R1200RT, a Honda Goldwing, and a Honda ST1300. The main reason I haven't bought the CTX1300 yet is I have MDS (myelodysplastic syndromes). MDS is a form of cancer that affects the production of blood cells (red, white and platelets). My particular form of MDS has a median survival time of 3 to 5 years. The only symptom I have now that affects me is I am more tired than normal. My idea is I would like to do some riding in the time I have left. My wife is afraid I will have an accident and be killed. My reaction to that is "so". Something is going to get me one way or another. I am a very conservative rider and have never had any traffic citations while riding or any accidents. So that is my story. I will update if there are any changes.

Data

· Registered
143 Posts
You never know, so I so GO! Get it, it may just change your feelings and happiness, which goes a long way toward fighting any illness. I had a friend who they gave 12 -18 months to live, so he decided to go and just do everything he enjoyed...which was motorcycles!

He is still alive 12 years later?? Go figure.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
As I said in your original into thread. I'd likely get the bike and ride. I agree that we'll all go eventually, some sooner than others. May as well enjoy the ride getting to that time, as long as you are able. This one is very comfortable and easy to ride. Very relaxing. Between my other post to you and this one I fit in a 111 miles ride to the grocery store. Boy do I feel refreshed! Obviously I took the long way there. In fact I didn't even go to the closest one but to a much farther away store by way of many miles of county roads. :D

· Registered
2,179 Posts
You never know, so I so GO! Get it, it may just change your feelings and happiness, which goes a long way toward fighting any illness. I had a friend who they gave 12 -18 months to live, so he decided to go and just do everything he enjoyed...which was motorcycles!

He is still alive 12 years later?? Go figure.
^^^ This. The CTX1300 is a great bike -- comfortable and just a joy to ride, especially for us old farts (although it's hardly an old fart bike). Just go for it. ;)

· Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm 60 (old fart!!). Retired 2 years.
Live for today, hope for tomorrow, and prepare for the worst.
Dude, I'm sorry for your bad news.
Glad you have a spouse that cares/loves you.
A throttle in the hand is worth more than a remote(literally & figuratively) on the couch.
Riding is great therapy for us. Get some bugs in your teeth. Protein is good for you.
So, when riding season starts and you head NORTH....let me know a few days in advance so we can meet up.(I'm near B'ham).
And thanks for your service.

· Registered
117 Posts
I would think that you are quite familiar with the CTX1300 drawbacks , having bikes of similar class. The weight and torque can be a challenge to those less experienced. That is to say the CTX isn't exactly a wise choice as a starter bike. The prior bikes you owned seem to show your experienced, though. So I cant imagine the bike being of any challenge given your condition.
I can add that when riding this bike, at first it may feel a little awkward. Ive had a few of the bikes you had. It wont feel at all like them at first. Maybe ride 50 or so miles before deciding, adapt to its unique seating and feel. Its pretty easy going bike.
My disabilities ( heart failure, diabetes, etc) are sometimes a challenge, and this bike is fine. Its very comfortable and not very demanding at all. I get B12 shots sometimes for fatigue , and usually stop every 30 miles or so for a breather. I carry some tea for energy.

I found one of the best things for riding longevity was to loose weight, keep blood sugar in check, know my meds very very well, sleep well and on a schedule, and don't be sedentary.

Finally, the best way to keep riding safe is to enjoy riding. If you live to ride, then you ride to live...
Best regards.

· Registered
1 Posts
A friend at church has a muscular issue so he can't lift his leg over a large motorcycle, so he has a Suzuki 650 Burgman. Have you thought about one of those? People travel across country on them, so they are very capable, but they are lighter and easier to deal with. I figure that will probably be in the future for me at some point.

But live while you're alive!

Blinddog

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi Data

I am Ex Army myself, 58 yo, i also have a number of physical [bladder cancer amongst them] and psych problems which i receive a war pension for, i, like you, i get tired as well. As a fellow ex- forces member i would encourage you to get the bike that suits you and go for it , [good therapy] just shorten the ride distances, stop more often and try and ride in a group.

As for the CTX1300, a great bike, my only negative comment in this case would be to say its a reasonably heavy bike so caution needs to be taken but only heaving it off the side stand and walking speed however when she's running, no problems.

Mate, i am not a religious man so i cant say i would pray for you but I'll send as many positive thoughts your way as i can. Good luck!

Jim

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Hi Data

I am Ex Army myself, 58 yo, i also have a number of physical [bladder cancer amongst them] and psych problems which i receive a war pension for, i, like you, i get tired as well. As a fellow ex- forces member i would encourage you to get the bike that suits you and go for it , [good therapy] just shorten the ride distances, stop more often and try and ride in a group.

As for the CTX1300, a great bike, my only negative comment in this case would be to say its a reasonably heavy bike so caution needs to be taken but only heaving it off the side stand and walking speed however when she's running, no problems.

Mate, i am not a religious man so i cant say i would pray for you but I'll send as many positive thoughts your way as i can. Good luck!

Jim
Positive thoughts, prayers, they're all good. Sending a few your way too ...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions, thoughts, prayers, best wishes, etc. I also appreciated the thanks for my service. I considered it an honor to have served what I believe is the greatest nation in the world. Hopefully, with some leadership we will continue to be the greatest nation!

However, I have decided it wouldn't be a wise decision to buy the bike right now. I am a member of another medical forum and follow a lot of people with MDS. MDS is just too unpredictable. You can go from about like I am to just critically ill in a matter of weeks or months. And generally it is a downhill slope. I think it is just too big of an investment when I don't know I could get at least two or three years of riding it.

Again I do appreciate everyone's thoughts etc.:smile:

Ride Safe! Keep the tires down and the helmet up!

DataDavid

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Sorry to hear about that ... but you have to do what you think is best. Hopefully you have or can find something else enjoyable to pass the time. And I hope there's lots of time left to pass. ;)

Be well, good sir.

· Registered
143 Posts
F them! Don't limit yourself...because what you believe is FAITH...faith in God and your job is to kick the **** out of anything that confronts you...what is true, what is good, what is Love!

Don't limit yourself, get out there and get yourself one of these beautiful bikes, love life, love the people you belong to, but don't back down...ever! Don't ever giver up, let your desires and ambitions guide you, because you can conquer ANYTHING if you believe, OK?

I expect you know what you want, go and do it, it is the best thing you can do for yourself, so dominate those things!

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@DataDavvid,
(In reply to your 2nd post #13 )
First, let me say I respect your choice.
Second, I figure you aren't telling us the complete story(of your decision), but just summarizing. The nature of being personal on a public forum.
Third, we know it is a difficult time and you are having difficult decisions.
Fourth, When has a biker ever made a wise choice?
Fifth, ALL of life is unpredictable. No one here is even sure they'll be here when the sun sets, but we all plan on it just the same.
Last, all this advice is worth exactly what you paid us for it.

Everyone reading your thread is wishing they could inspire you, help you, or do something in their own way regardless of whether they replied.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the comments

Just as much as I appreciated all the comments before I made my decision, I appreciate the comments afterwards. I had actually made a deal on a bike, ordered a helmet, a service manual, and a GPS mount . I had even taken out insurance. I was able to cancel the GPS mount and insurance. I am returning the helmet (Motorcycle Superstore is good about that). The manual is on its way and I will probably put it on Craigslist or eBay.

To give you an idea of how hard a decision this was, I am reluctant to buy anything I know my wife will not use, e.g., a new laptop or computer or a new gas grill. I am selling a lot of stuff that I know she will have no use for. This really was a difficult decision but I think I made the right choice.

Thanks again for everyone's comments both pre and post decision.

Data

· Registered
227 Posts
Good luck and best wishes, David.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Change of heart

Just thought I would let everyone that encouraged me to buy the bike that I did change my mind and bought a bike. Notice I said "a" bike not "the bike". I changed my mind on what bike I wanted. I was looking around and settled on the 2015 Triumph Trophy SE ABS. I got a really good deal and a lot of thing the CTX didn't have.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Data

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.