CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I briefly mentioned this in my thread on the introduction forum, but wanted to post here for input.

I have a choice of either two good dealers in Chattanooga. One that is close to me is Honda of Chattanooga, which offered me a 1300X deluxe at $16,299 plus tax. no dealer prep, no other fees. The dealer called the Honda rep and said that I could indeed apply the $1000 in accessory money towards extending my Honda Care warranty. Right now, Honda is also tossing in an additional year of Honda Care for a total of 2 years coverage. I could use approximately $529 of the free $1000 from Honda, to add an additional 3 years, for a total of 5 years coverage on the bike. My plan would be to then use the remaining $470 on a taller windscreen.

My questions are this:

1. do you think the dealer price is good? It sounds good based on MSRP
2. would you also do a similar thing towards extending the warranty since there doesn't appear to be a lot of accessories out there, and, they aren't terribly expensive.

thanks and looking forward to being a member (hopefully with a new CTX1300 D)

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
That's a very good price for a Deluxe.

If I had been offered the option to apply part of the accessories allowance toward the extended warranty, I definitely would have taken it, as I plan on keeping this bike a good long time. But alas, there was no such offer when I bought -- I put a deposit down while my bike was still on the boat. I got a little off MSRP, but nothing like the deals I'm seeing now. Go for it. :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
I got my blue CTX at Honda of Cool Springs in Franklin TN. I bought the extended warranty. One year is just too short for a touring bike.

I bought the red bike at Lexington Motorsports in Lexington KY. They offered the warranty, but I didn't buy it since I wasn't sure I'd keep the second bike more than a year or two. As it turns out, I prefer the red one over the blue one and I'll probably buy the warranty for it as well. You can add the extended warranty at any time before the factory warranty expires.

I highly recommend Honda of Chattanooga. They took great care of my ST1100 when I lived in Cleveland. On the day that bike hit 100,000 miles I just happened to be in the area. I pulled up at the shop with exactly 100,000 on the odometer and ate donuts with the mechanics to celebrate the event.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I think you are being offered a good price for the Deluxe. But I've got to say I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, so I would put those $ toward useful accessories. I easily used up the $1000 on my list. Honestly, I spent more that $1000 on the accessories.

I think of it this way, I'll use the accessories every time I ride, while the extended warranty will likely never be used. When is the last time you had to have an item on the warranty list serviced? Now if it was a Beemer?:515:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've never needed the extended warranty on a Honda. But my Trophy was bad. Four issues under the factory warranty in the nine months I owned the bike.

That experience left me a bit nervous, so I got the extended warranty on the first CTX.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It might be worth the extended warranty just to get the left middle cowl replaced every time the battery needs to get accessed. It's a $200 part, and based on how it's designed it's likely to fail multiple times in the life of the bike.

Do a search for the "broken tab" post to see what I'm talking about.

I picked up an extended warranty AND about $1K in accessories when I ordered my deluxe. I figured I was investing in what I hope to be a very long-term bike for me. I had never been an extended warranty guy either, but I was glad I had one on my last car, which developed this recurring issue with overheating that could have cost me thousands. I figured the electronics on the CTX are something that will remain forever beyond my repair abilities and, frankly, this is a style of bike that would just rather drop off and let someone else fix for its lifetime. I tinkered with my Bonneville constantly because the simplicity and openness kind of invited it; I see the CTX as more of a black box and I bought it to ride, not work on.

The best price I could get was $500 off MSRP. I'd have jumped on what you're being offered.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on my purchase. I plan on picking up a blue deluxe at Southern Honda. The price before tax $14,987! They don't add any other charges. I'll be getting them to install the tall windshield, center stand and 12v accessory. With current promotion from Honda, I'll be able to have 5 years of Honda Protection. Southern wound up being quite a bit less than Honda of Chattanooga ($16,299)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Congrats!
Just make sure you have them pre-set the bars for you when you get there... to see the mirrors better. And also have them check the tabs that the battery cover snaps into on the middle cowel just to have it documented if any tabs are broken for warranty replacement.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up Bob. I was thinking about the tab, but the bar adjustment would have been missed

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Total financed $16,980. Includes tall windshield, center stand, 12v accessory port, and 5 years of HondaCare. Bike was pulled out of the crate and is getting test ridden by mechanic now. Then a quick wash and I'm off! Tab looks to be intact.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, got almost 70 miles in from the dealer before the heavens opened up, but here are my observations since I had more time to ride it than the day I rode a demo at lunch.

The engine puts out some heat!!

The tall windshield is awesome! I swapped to an open faced helmet and could plainly hear Spotify playing at speeds of 65 mph.

Bike got two good washes today, now she is parked drying out, and I am too.

I plan on having the dealer address the right side plastic area above the USB storage area as it appears to not be properly fitted ( or is suffering from the broken tab), I took a photo of the issue and emailed it for documentation.

Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
For public knowledge: we have two year warranty in everything you buy.
I think it is for the whole Europe.
The law in Spain says if there is a problem in the first 6 months, the warranty applies by default, suppossing there is a fabrication issue.
From the sixth month, you have to demonstrate it.
For "second hand" ( per-owned ) the period is six months.
For houses: 1 year for finishings, 3 years plumbing and windows, 10 years structure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking to buy a black non deluxe CTX very near future. I live in lexington, ky. don't mind traveling up to 400 miles to get the best deal. Could i please get southern honda's phone number and address. THANKS

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Looking to buy a black non deluxe CTX very near future. I live in lexington, ky. don't mind traveling up to 400 miles to get the best deal. Could i please get southern honda's phone number and address. THANKS
Southern Honda

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dealership pricing varies so much, it is hard to figure out. Depends on the philosophy of the dealership as to how aggressive they want to be. Personally, if I have 2014's around, I am going to whorehouse the deal and look forward to the 2015's, as aged inventory is the sin of retailing in this business. Most of the time, I have to educate the dealer how to make the deal that works, especially if I have a trade in and we are way off on the numbers.

Anyway, 400 miles is a long way to go personally, but for a smoking hot deal it may be worth it. Considering the time and money it takes to buy a motorcycle from a distance, I don't pressure the discount dealer much, just ask them what I can buy it for and get some numbers. I then give my closest dealer a shot at the deal, especially if they have it in stock.

I tell the dealer that for this price, I can own what I want, so I am giving you the opportunity to sell this bike TODAY, else I am making plans to drive down and pick this one up. If they are close on the money...and I don't mind paying my local dealer $500 to $700 more, as that is what my time and cost would be to go get the other bike. Between the gas, pulling a trailer or using a truck, and a hotel and food, I am more into convenience.

Dealerships aren't all the same. Some that are very aggressive, get "dealer cash" based on them hitting the "bogie" which allows them to discount the bike more. Therefore I sympathize with the smaller dealer, and find if the figures are close enough, I prefer the local guy because they seem to treat you better IF you have a problem with the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the onfo. Lexington Motorsports has two in stock. Red deluxe & blue deluxe. I,m wanting a non deluxe model because of the difference in appearence. If they had what i,m looking for i would seriously try to make a deal locally. Not wanting to travel any farther than needed to get what i,m looking for at a good price. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
117 Posts
dealers really do differ greatly on their philosophy
i saw a larger dealer with smokin deal (~$14,500 w trunk and tall shield etc , plus $1000 incentive on accessories) , hard to find that price. They wanted sales .
Others are happy to hold stock, especially since there is no 2013 CTX1300s and the 2015s are probably same .
Putting out cash on a trade in that will not sell until spring also works against the buyer ( sometime)

I think, for the most part, unless your buying up 2013 inventory, or working with a huge honda exclusive dealer (look for a "powerhouse" dealer) you may want to consider springtime incentives, especially with 2014 models and trade in .

also this is probably a "high pressure" sales time of year... so if your pre-approved, know your stock, not suckered into "drive it away today" deals, etc you can drop some serious end-o-year offers and get some serious consideration.
if you can, hold the trade in and sell it in spring... no trade-in deals might be much more attractive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts