CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

It looked incomplete without paint.
I tried red paint and using a very small jewelers screw driver to get into the tiny corners. But it was rather tedious and wasn't a smooth finish.
A black sharpie marker worked out well. Just need to clean up the rough edges with some rubbing alcohol and seal it with clear coat. Permanent markers aren't that permanent, unless it's on paper.
I may still paint it all red and really get some confused. Make them think it's some crazy looking Moto Guzzi.

·
Registered
153 Posts
View attachment 48050
It looked incomplete without paint.
I tried red paint and using a very small jewelers screw driver to get into the tiny corners. But it was rather tedious and wasn't a smooth finish.
A black sharpie marker worked out well. Just need to clean up the rough edges with some rubbing alcohol and seal it with clear coat. Permanent markers aren't that permanent, unless it's on paper.
I may still paint it all red and really get some confused. Make them think it's some crazy looking Moto Guzzi.
I wonder if nail polish would work? ( my GF is a nail tech) to get the other colors, like red (or my case blue)

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if nail polish would work? ( my GF is a nail tech) to get the other colors, like red (or my case blue)
I tried a cheap bottle from a dollar store. But it just wouldn't spread out smoothly enough to look right.
I've seen how you can fill in something like this with an epoxy, then squeegee off the excess. But I don't know enough about paint to try it on this. The paint might not wipe off clean. Then I found this old post yesterday. Maybe I'll do a little YouTube searching for ideas.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nail polish might not be optimum for the valve cover application, but 5 years ago when my bike was still new and I dropped it in the garage, I used Maybelline Black Onyx Rush nail polish (weird I can remember the name) to touch up the scratch I made along the bottom edge of the pannier. It blended perfect with the black paint and it is still there, not even noticeable!

@Gregory Tubbs the paint on the valve cover letters looks really nice!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nail polish might not be optimum for the valve cover application, but 5 years ago when my bike was still new and I dropped it in the garage, I used Maybelline Black Onyx Rush nail polish (weird I can remember the name) to touch up the scratch I made along the bottom edge of the pannier. It blended perfect with the black paint and it is still there, not even noticeable!

@Gregory Tubbs the paint on the valve cover letters looks really nice!
I'm finding out what's not working well through experimenting. I would like to just fill in the letters with paint and wipe off the excess, but I'm afraid it won't work out.
And what color scheme to use.
Red letter, silver background.
Red, black background, etc.
I still have this devilish notion to paint it red like a Moto Guzzi just to really confuse people. I still meet plenty of Honda riders who don't know what a CTX is.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paint it red like the Guzzi, then get a BMW badge for the trunk. That should screw people up fairly well.
Ooh, twisted. I like the way you think.
I was looking at this can of red spray paint and I swear it was saying Do It! Would be a good excuse to finish the can off.

So, do we call this a BM Guzzi? Or a Guzzi that had a BM?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOW I've gone and stepped in it!
Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I found this can with a red cap in my garage last night and I had a moment of insanity. I'm lucky it was a can of Plasti Dip. I topped it with some satin clear coat.
It would have been much brighter and glossy red using paint, but I'm just experimenting with looks.
I'm traveling incognito!
Not glossy and bright enough to pass for Guzziflage, more of a Guzzi wannabe look.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Nah. My Honda doesn't wannabe this.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not feeling this one....sorry.
I did think of taping off the entire thing, then with an exacto knife cutting the letters open....but chickened out
A black Sharpie did a pretty nice job. I'm going to mark the letters on this and take a photo.
Like you, it ain't doin' it. But I'm thinking black with red letters. Will give that one a shot.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you list the label or post a picture of it please? I'd like that look on my red CTX!
I don't follow. List the label? If you mean the paint, I was using Plasti Dip rubber spray just to try out the look. I'm going to peel it off and try it in black with gold lettering.
I'm kind of liking the look of the red, but a bright glossy red would probably look better on a red bike. On my blue, I'd rather go with something darker.
But for now, more experimenting with color combos before I decide and go with permanent paint.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here it is with black Plasti Dip and satin finish clear coat.
Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
This is the color, but I'll use gloss paint. The cover should stand out a bit without being as loud as red.
The red I tried was just playing around a bit.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still working on removing the black Plasti Dip. The red color was easy, just rolled off rubbing with my fingers. The black is more like paint and I covered it with clear coat paint. So I had to sand through the clear coat to expose the rubber. Then use kerosene to soften the rubber.
If you ever need to remove adhesives, forget those commercial adhesive removers you find in the department stores. Kerosene dissolves all kinds of glue and doesn't damage plastics or paint. I've used kerosene to remove the glue from license plate registration stickers and IFTA stickers. Just rub on kerosene with a paper towel like you're polishing a piece of brass. The glue will come off. Acetone takes off the glue And the paint.
Liquid Fluid Material property Art Tints and shades

I also pulled off the rubber end caps. The glue holding them on was dried out and hard from time and the engine heat. It takes a little longer but kerosene softens that glue too.
I'll post pics of the covers when they're done. It'll take a little time because this is my permanent color finish. Gloss black with gold letters. I was going to use black chrome but Wally World didn't have any.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts