CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm a lousy painter, my own worst enemy is my patience. Painted the covers last night but optimum conditions are less than 65 percent humidity. That doesn't happen in my neighborhood. I should have waited until daylight so I had the sun working for me. The paint is supposed to be dry to the touch in 20 minutes and dry to handle in 1 hour. Eight hours later, still tacky. But I'll git er done.
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

I'll let the sun and engine heat work on it.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It does look like our bike, and we still have money to pay the bills after purchase
This just reminded me of a story, from a friend of a friend. He bought a big new camping trailer. But he soon realized his pickup couldn't handle it. So he bought a dually, problem solved. But his payments were so much for the two he couldn't afford the gas to go anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had good luck painting lettering on valve covers by taping off most of what you dont want painted , then using a tiny brush or q-tip apply Vaseline from the tape right up to the lettering, then use spray paint for the lettering. Let it totally cure then remove the tape and clean off the Vaseline. I use magnifying glasses to make sure the Vaseline is properly applied.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have had good luck painting lettering on valve covers by taping off most of what you dont want painted , then using a tiny brush or q-tip apply Vaseline from the tape right up to the lettering, then use spray paint for the lettering. Let it totally cure then remove the tape and clean off the Vaseline. I use magnifying glasses to make sure the Vaseline is properly applied.
I thought about taping but thought it would be too difficult because of the small areas to mask off. I've never tried the Vaseline idea. Using a felt tipped paint pen gets in all the small groves but it looks like a brushed paint job. I can still smooth it out with a little acetone. But a sprayed finish would have been easier and better looking. I think I can still pull this off. But I'll have to try the Vaseline idea sometime.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts